Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 10:59:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: South London Sport  (Read 103504 times)
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #75 on: 13 August, 2013, 07:21:23 PM »

This solvent based primer might be a better bet:

http://dulux.trade-decorating.co.uk/products/info/dulux_trade_metalshield_zinc_phosphate_primer.jsp

While stuff like hammerite ain't what it used to be and red lead is nothing like there's a world of excellent choices still for those fond of a brush.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #76 on: 14 August, 2013, 09:51:38 AM »

Thanks David. That sounds like good stuff. I've got some light rust appearing on the floor of my Fulvia under the dreaded rubber mats. Have to say you certainly smartened up the floor no end and it makes it very clear where the areas that need cutting out etc are. I just love these Flavia Z's. So quirky but real style.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #77 on: 27 August, 2013, 05:42:42 PM »

Last Friday we had some visitors: Richard Fridd, Andrew Tait and Colin Marr.  The cleaned seats went back in, sort of, and we braved some "five up" trials in various combinations.  

I can report that I am quite comfortable sitting behind 6ft of Colin, which bodes well, and that the seat width and foot room in the back is sufficient for three volunteers.  

The door alignment was out a bit but came back when unloaded.

David

* Lewisham-20130823-01275.jpg (145.7 KB, 640x480 - viewed 631 times.)

* IMG_1874.JPG (433.31 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 395 times.)

David Laver, Lewisham.
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #78 on: 27 August, 2013, 06:13:25 PM »

Thanks for a fine afternoon David, and nice to see your lovely car, which looks even better 'in the metal' . Now I know about the lever which limits steering lock? Also nice to see the 'auto brake bleed system' is on this model. Richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #79 on: 27 August, 2013, 07:28:23 PM »

Richard - by better "in the metal" do you mean condition or the overall shape/lines?

For everyone else -

The steering idler box has a lever to switch between full lock and limited lock to permit snow chains.

A detail we all enjoyed that Colin showed us was in the ashtray.  I'd been wondering why this long spring loaded prong was there and if it was really supposed to push the ashtray out but it turns out it takes power to the lighter.  "What lighter?" I ask.  To open the ashtray you squeeze the two handles and pull.  Once open one of the handles slides out as the lighter.  It was enough to make me want to take up smoking...

Other "old school" details I liked when I first saw it were the thermostatic shutters as you'd see all the way back to Augustas (and earlier?) and the under dash lever to control the cabin fresh air inlet just behind the grill as you'd see on an Aurelia.   Its a contrast to the space age styling, front wheel drive and electric motor for the rear window.  It reminded me of Concorde which for all it was supersonic had a cockpit like a Lancaster bomber with dials and toggles everywhere to keep a flight engineer very busy indeed pumping fuel about to keep it balanced surfing its shockwave.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #80 on: 27 August, 2013, 07:49:05 PM »

Condition and shape I think. Here is another Zagato project I would like to get my hands on

* 480028_410886668969245_1001992297_n.jpg (84.31 KB, 720x540 - viewed 677 times.)

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #81 on: 17 September, 2013, 07:18:22 AM »

Something to aim for???

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/car-advert/lancia/flavia/_/212928/?utm_source=classic_email_alerts&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=classic_cars_for_sale

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
vigzag

« Reply #82 on: 17 September, 2013, 07:48:39 AM »

I knew I should have kept mine..........................................

* redzag1.jpg (264.27 KB, 1382x1037 - viewed 394 times.)

Current cars:-

1964 Flavia 1800 coupe
1966 Flavia 1800 convertible
1968 Flavia 1800 convertible
1964 Flavia 1800 Sport
1965 Flavia 1800 Sport
1966 Flavia 1800 Sport
1967 Flavia 1800 Sport
1974 2000HF
1966 Transit V4 van
ben
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #83 on: 17 September, 2013, 09:28:15 AM »

I TOLD YOU NOT TO OPEN THE DOOR!!     WHY DO YOU THINK I TOOK THE WINDOWS OUT.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #84 on: 17 September, 2013, 02:56:48 PM »

I think the price on that one in the US reflects what's been spent rather more then what someone might pay.  The last one at auction was half that and by all accounts absolutely mint having been restored by (word has it) someone with a 200 car collection and his own in house staff.

Back in the real world...I sincerely hope mine is never worth anything like that and I'll be happy to charge the speed humps and not lift through the width restrictions and take no prisoners on the roundabouts...and of course preserve all that "patina" in the best modern taste Wink   (or is that like being "green" when in fact you're just "mean" with the heating control?)

As for "progress" its still there in one piece, and fingers crossed I've found some bumpers for it.  I've been a bit swamped by the rest of life yet.  To my shame I've yet to sign up to the Flavia consortium.  I should also write Viva a "part II" and maybe this time some photos.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #85 on: 17 September, 2013, 04:00:10 PM »

Yes, time for part 2 - with photos !

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #86 on: 18 September, 2013, 09:49:53 AM »

I had a chance for a Google just to be reassured.  This is the same car:

http://www.sportscardigest.com/cars-for-sale/weird-and-wonderful-1965-lancia-flavia-sport-zagato/
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190847730034

"over $58,000.00 US Dollar in invoices".  That's more than £36K.

Bidding stopped at $27,600, that's £17,300 for a really nice one, a bit over half what someone paid for a perfect one, perhaps double what an "average" car (which always means less than average...) might command.

All is well with the world.  Its a lovely thing (in the eye of this beholder) but no investment.  No need to sweat the details to preserve the value or any such.  Just get it back together to any standard I can and use it.  One day it might be worth the same as a brand new Matiz or whatever the budget superminis are called these days.  It might one day command Citroen C1 money.

SO - forget prices and value - back on topic - alloy floor pans or stay with steel - discuss...

(I've been looking at what turned a DB4 into a DB4 GT into a DB4 Zagato as part of a "how could Bond in an ancient Aston keep pace with a Ferrari 355" argument.  The DB4 could be both lighter and, with an RSW race engine, more powerful).

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #87 on: 18 September, 2013, 09:59:04 AM »

To play the "how light could it go" game the Targa Florio Flavia Sport is VERY different but just looking at the seats they could be from a Fulvia HF.  Anyone able to tell me what they weigh?  If I get an answer I'll weigh an original seat.

I've a front bumper off the car - lighter for rust and smaller than the rear but a fair indication. 

Looking round the car there's not a lot that could come off or have holes drilled...   Bonnet and boot frames?  An alloy fuel tank.  Plexi windows.  The back seat weighs nothing.  The gear lever could shed a couple of kilos.

A lot of the weight is forward.  Anyone think the subframe is great for a saloon but over engineered for a Sport?  Anyone know what went into (perhaps I should say came out of) the competition cars?   

Visual differences include headlight plexiglass and a the fuel filler higher up in the pillar.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #88 on: 19 September, 2013, 05:43:20 PM »

To play the "how light could it go" game the Targa Florio Flavia Sport is VERY different but just looking at the seats they could be from a Fulvia HF.  Anyone able to tell me what they weigh?  If I get an answer I'll weigh an original seat.

about 7kg Cheesy

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #89 on: 19 September, 2013, 07:34:16 PM »

Not the works spec but perhaps Clever spaceframe of clever material, small as you like fuel tank replenished by a miser and fitted with a plastic cap, plexi glass, one seat, HF style light driveshafts and discs+pads  at minimum thickness with ally brake piston assemblies, opening panels minus their full frames, Magnesium wheels. Ally floor and lighter gear selection lever to mention a few things. Not wieght saving but negative front camber is a good mod. No underseal and the shell blast cleaned to minimum thickness. Some  of this done to my JLG Sport with good results. Also plenty of tools/spares in the boot to aid wieght distribution!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd