Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 10:38:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: South London Sport  (Read 103503 times)
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #15 on: 23 May, 2013, 03:56:57 PM »

No brakes. 

The idea is to inch a trailer down to the garages, unhitch and turn, then rehitch and load.  The trailer is low and the bed tilts so not too steep.  Wrap the car with a big ribbon on the top and pootle home.  Its a a couple of speed bumps then pretty easy.  No worries on that route keeping the speed down just hope not too many lights for stop-and-start.  Trailer onto the drive which is flat enough if you're not trying to push a big car on your own - more "camber" than "hill". 

If it had had to be a truck then it would be a tow behind a car up the service road and out to load and several brave helpers this end to keep it under control turning in on the hill.  The truck would also have been a steeper climb to load - the worry being pulling the poor thing in half.

We've thought about it...and no rush to get to the point where it will be moved and no rush on that day...

The one worry is the trailer width at the pickup end.  It might have to be a tow up to the street.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #16 on: 25 May, 2013, 10:34:38 AM »

Had a sudden thought. Make a track from channel section, wheel the car onto the track and then winch the track up onto the trailer. No load on the Sport except that required to keep it on the track !!!!

Good luck, Andy

PS when are you aiming to do this ??
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #17 on: 25 May, 2013, 11:12:54 PM »

All set for Tuesday morning.  I will report the success or otherwise.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #18 on: 28 May, 2013, 04:04:54 PM »

Home, and all in one piece.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #19 on: 28 May, 2013, 04:35:34 PM »

Well done. Hope the wetness of this lovely spring weather didnt intervene.... and cause additional corrosive issues...

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #20 on: 28 May, 2013, 05:26:28 PM »

We all know what a bit of wet does to flat paint Smiley   "Just washed it for the photos" as they might say in Ebay-land, then some photos at a shallow angle down the side just before sunset.  You might not be able to polish a turd but in the right conditions you could photograph a shine on one.

Not ideal doing it in driving rain but all adds to the adventure...

The nice surprise was cutting the oil cooler hoses we found oil.  Checking the dipstick golden oil to level.  For sure its sat 40 years in the damp but that's better than black treacle or nothing but rust on the dip stick.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #21 on: 28 May, 2013, 06:05:09 PM »

Well done !

Is it the first time Sara has seen the Sport "dans son jus" or "as it is" ? Reaction  Huh?

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #22 on: 28 May, 2013, 10:08:53 PM »

We were greeted with a grin.  It looks long low and lean back here in the context of other cars. 

Zoe joined myself and William this trip as photographer and chock-girl.  On the chocks the only "moment" was unloading when she didn't realise which side of the wheel the chock was wanted.  What could possibly go wrong eh?

Being so close has been a boon as it was collect, back, drop the trailer and keep going to collect the spare engine (thought to be 2000cc and it doesn't turn...) and the door skin.  Trailer was rented 100m off the direct route just short of half way.  Some back and forth with broken lights and a missing hook and finding the right keys but it did the job and the modern tilt mechanism is wonderful.  Unlatch, stand on the back and down it goes.  When loaded twist a knob and it tips back to relatch.  Child's play, but using children you might need two to have enough weight on the tail.

I was effin-tight getting down the little road to his lockups but having an old scruffy car we could drive through the hedge.  Fag paper stuff.  "It's all in the preparation" as they say and for good reason.  A great run back in the lightest of traffic.  By the time we'd collected the engine it was building up again and a lot of stop-start we were pleased to have missed. 

The only other update is that I had a try at the passenger door and it will be a task.  The good news the other side of the car is that the drivers door, less skin, is in good alignment.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Angle Grinder
Megaposter

« Reply #23 on: 01 June, 2013, 01:03:12 PM »

Just as an aside, what is the stuff that you were using for cleaning teh vinyl seats. Is it effective?

Current Cars: 1994 2.0 VIS Thema Station Wagon, 1967 Flavia 1.8 PF Coupe.

Previous cars:
1983 Prisma 1600
1991 Thema 16v i.e. SE
1988 Thema 8v Turbo
1992 Thema 16v i.e.
1983 Gamma Coupe (manual)
1993 Thema VIS
1994 Thema VIS LE
1990 Thema 2.8
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #24 on: 02 June, 2013, 10:08:51 PM »

Its something I picked up in Halfords bike department to clean a bike that had sat a decade or so.  It did a great job on the bike but not too good on the skin so best have gloves on.  It doesn't seem to be something to leave on to soak.  Give it a spray, then wipe with paper (I've got big blue rolls from a visit to the cash and carry with a friend).  The more stubbon stuff gets a drench then a going over with a toothbrush.  

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_216197_langId_-1_categoryId_228374

Some stains shifted with WD40.  Some stains remain.  I've yet to work out what solvent to try first.  Probably vinegar first, then white spirit but am open to suggestions.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #25 on: 07 June, 2013, 08:21:31 AM »

I've continued to clear and strip out since it came home.  "Another day, another can of WD40".  Photos to follow. 

The sweetest moment is hard to describe but it was with the set of horns on the bench clearing off the grime with a toothbrush to find the sticker below in lovely condition.  Perhaps, with this car, it was not being prepared for a nice surprise.  Italian made but English text.

Yesterday with a friend here we tested the handbrake and it works...  Before moving it I'd not dare touch it for fear of it locking on.  I put the gear lever back in to stop it rolling.  All the gears select and I've now found reverse. 

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #26 on: 07 June, 2013, 11:43:45 AM »

David, you have me grinning constantly at your entertaining, grit-under-the-fingernails, down-to-earth project.

Keep (us) smiling.  Grin

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #27 on: 07 June, 2013, 12:38:59 PM »

Getting an engine free...

Instinct is to pull the engine out and take it to bits.  However with it in the car there's a chance to free it off rocking the car in gear. Finding golden oil to level on the dip stick has made me at least consider that option.  The Aprilia engine had everything just a little bit stuck adding up to locked.  The Strada Abarth engine (eventually) responded to the soak-and-rock method and now spins beautifully.  The Aprilia engine might have stood 70 years.  The Strada a mere decade.

The first problem is that being a flat four putting oil down the plug hole isn't going to help much.  Plan B - make plates to go over the exhaust manifold faces and "fill her up".  Through the intakes.  My concern here is that if it did come free an incompressible liquid would cause damage like trying to turn an engine over full of water.  Is that a justified concern?

The other facility this engine has is a top plate.  It's possible to change the big ends from above with the engine in the car.  I could fill the bores up from the underside.  But what damage might all that oil (or paraffin or diesel - I'm not brave enough for petrol) do elsewhere?  Perhaps leaking out the back onto the clutch.

A new concern on reading the Fulvia and Flavia collectors guide is that rocking the car in gear will result in the timing chain jumping.

Pulling out and to bits will give the bearings the best chance - it would be a shame to wipe a bearing.  It will also give each and every part a chance to soak before being disturbed.  It HAS to be the best method...doesn't it?

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #28 on: 07 June, 2013, 01:24:59 PM »

I'm not that familiar with the Flavia engine but I believe it's got liners. If it has and the engine is seized, and the seizure is between piston and liner, then rocking it may disturb the bottom seal on the liner (I assume there is some type of seal between the bottom of the liner and the block) which would likely give rise to a water leak.

I don't know what the seal arrangement is but I would be nervous about not looking at that area on a wet linered engine that hasn't been run for a fair while. If the seals dry out they shrink.

My inclination would be to remove it and do it on the bench.

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #29 on: 08 June, 2013, 09:33:45 AM »

Andrew Tait (cern) has reminded me that of course its Redex that goes down the bores to free off rings. 

Its what I used on the Fiat but my memory ain't good...  When I was stripping the Aprilia I was amazed how some could remember what size spanner I'd need for what and which bit came out of where when a week later I'd have struggled. 

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd