Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 05:37:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Insurance for oversea's drivers.  (Read 5692 times)
Dilambdaman
Permanent resident

« on: 14 May, 2013, 09:56:19 PM »

You will know that I have purchased a Fulvia Saloon for Tony and Shelley Seiler from South Africa to use whilst over here for Fulvia 50. Problem, I can't get insurance cover for Tony to drive any of my cars!

It seems totally impossible to get cover for anyone who doesn't hold a European licence.

It appears that even if you have a policy which permits any driver to drive your car with you're permission, drivers outside of the EU are excluded.

Any suggestions please?

Robin.

Robin Lacey 3222

1932 Dilambda
1992 Y10 GTie
2012 Delta Mk3
blueboxer

« Reply #1 on: 14 May, 2013, 10:35:23 PM »

I have a policy with Chubb that covers numerous vehicles and anyone (not living at my address) can drive any of my cars with my permission as long as they have a license to do so. I've been through the exclusions and it does not specify that they require an EU license. Chubb are very flexible.
I can put you in touch with the Broker if required.

Feb 1965 RHD Fulvia 2C (still running it's original engine and gearbox) and quite a few others of various marques
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2013, 06:23:16 AM »

You will know that I have purchased a Fulvia Saloon for Tony and Shelley Seiler from South Africa to use whilst over here for Fulvia 50. Problem, I can't get insurance cover for Tony to drive any of my cars!

It seems totally impossible to get cover for anyone who doesn't hold a European licence.

So sorry to hear that Robin, but that is just the same nonsense that Carol & I have endured for the past 6 months since we have been living permanently in the UK.  Finally we have a broker in our village whom we can speak with & who understands - neither of the LMC club brokers did  Angry .  Still, all we can get is a non-classic car policy costing over £400 per annum for one Fulvia!  Roll Eyes

Apparently the problem is a) our South African licenses - even though they are valid for the UK, & we can only get UK ones after living here for 185 days, and b) the insurers won't accept our proof of SA non-claim bonus.  I can't say I blame the UK authorities given the anarchy and corruption endemic to South Africa, but amazingly I can hire a car at Alamo with no such problems.

I'm afraid it boils down to an old Afrikaans adage "Wet van Transvaal, kak en betaal!" i.e. pay up and look happy....  Huh?

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2013, 08:24:26 AM »

My policy with Allianz, through the brokers Peter Taylor of Hove covers both of my Lancias comprehensively, for any driver to whom I give permission to drive. There are age restrictions for young drivers, but no mention of nationality. I would have a word with Peter Taylor, who I have always found to be most helpful. Regards, John
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2013, 08:53:32 AM »

I am no insurance expert but this cover for other drivers (which is quite a common feature) is only generally minimum cover for road traffic act?Huh?

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
blueboxer

« Reply #5 on: 15 May, 2013, 09:05:15 AM »

I think perhaps you're thinking of driving other cars on your own comprehensive policy. It is quite usual to be only covered 3rd party in such circumstances to drive someone else's car. 
The Policy I took with Chubb (masterpiece) enables anyone licensed with the policyholder's consent to drive any of the vehicles on the policy. It also covers me to drive anyone else's vehicle fully comprehensively. I wanted something very flexible but also able to cater for cars left/registered in different countries.

Feb 1965 RHD Fulvia 2C (still running it's original engine and gearbox) and quite a few others of various marques
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 15 May, 2013, 09:48:25 AM »

Even the Daily insurers don't want to know......I suspect its the same with these guys....

https://broker.tempcover.com/TempCover/tcvInfo.aspx

I will post up on another forum to see if anyone can help

P

Frank Gallagher
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 15 May, 2013, 10:00:09 AM »

Are they an ex-pat by any chance?

http://www.dayinsure.com/more-information.aspx#expats

P

Frank Gallagher
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 15 May, 2013, 10:02:28 AM »

Maybe try these guys......only ones who came up trumps for one owner

http://www.firstpointinsurance.co.uk/car-insurance

P

Frank Gallagher
peteracs
Administrator
Rebel Poster

« Reply #9 on: 15 May, 2013, 10:21:47 AM »

According to the blurb you have to have EU driving licence, which I think is not the case this time.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Dilambdaman
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 15 May, 2013, 05:01:57 PM »

Many thanks one and all for the input. I now have Tony covered for the Fulvia. BUT! what a performance!

No one I tried ( including Peter Taylor in Hove, (you might want to double check with them John) would give me 'any driver' cover which included drivers without an EU or UK license. Direct Line were the only one who offered temporary cover for non EU/UK license holders and then only if the car was insured by them in the first place. So, I insured the Fulvia with them (they would only cover it 3rd Party F & T) and then added Tony as temporary cover for the duration of his stay for what I consider a reasonable £49 for the 20 days.

The Fulvia is covered already with FJ on a multi vehicle policy so I will cancel the DT policy when the temporary cover is no longer required!

An inordinate amount of time and effort spent on what on the face of it seems to me should be a relatively simple thing to organize.

Robin.

Robin Lacey 3222

1932 Dilambda
1992 Y10 GTie
2012 Delta Mk3
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 15 May, 2013, 05:09:45 PM »

Well done Robin, it really takes the biscuit, when 10% of the cars in UK not insured at all,  and when you try to do everything by the board they just put up the shutters, a very poor attitude and service

P

Frank Gallagher
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd