Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 10:48:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pertronix Ignition  (Read 3280 times)
Charles

« on: 16 April, 2013, 05:23:19 PM »

Those of you with the 3C model will know that the distributor is a pain to get at as you first have to remove the air box which takes ages because of all of the little nuts, washers and keepers that hold the trumpets.  So I decided that I would fit electronic ignition so as to avoid having to reset/replace the points ever again.  Complete replacement electronic/computerised distributors are available from Viva Lancia/1-2-3 and also from Classic Lancia - both in Holland  - but they are £400+ so I decided to go for the cheaper option of an electronic kit for now.  None of the electronic kit manufacturers lists a kit for the Flaminia but Pertronix (using the "Hall" effect) in the USA do list one for the Aurelia.  The Aurelia uses a three lobe points cam with double points whereas the Flaminia (at least my 2.8 3C) uses a six lobe point cam and single points.  Nonetheless, I decided to experiment and so I ordered the 9MR-163 Ignitor II kit for the six cylinder Marelli used in the Aurelia.  It duly arrived and it is simplicity itself with just a base plate with the pick-up mounted on it and a magnet ring that fits over the points cam.  The base plate was a perfect fit in place of the old points base plate but obviously, the magnet ring would not fit over my points cam.  So, out with the dremel, and five minutes later it fitted.  Having remounted the distributor and connected the two wires to the positive and negative terminals on the coil (I did also fit a new Flamethrower coil) the engine fired up first go and a week later is still running well.  Low speed running seems much smoother and I'm delighted that it was such an easy and quick mod which is fully reversible. I have kept the old points and base plate in the glove box in case any problems develop. One other thing worth mentioning is that while doing the ignition, I decided to have a look at the fuel filters.  My car has a Filter King fitted and there was a fair amount of sludge in the glass bowl - which I cleaned - but which prompted me to look at the fuel pump.  My car has a Bendix electric pump which I dismounted and then opened by untwisting the base which uses a sort of bayonet fixing.  The filter inside was badly clogged with 50 years of silt, but all is well now.

Augusta berlina, Appia S3 berlina
Flaminia convertible 2.8 3c Touring
Beta spider S1 1600, Gamma berlina S1
Gamma coupe S1, Delta 1.6 multijet
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2013, 06:13:25 PM »

Thanks Charles, aux.electric fuel pump and filter/regulator plus ignition check are next on my PF list after the rear disc job which is scheduled for this week. Richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2013, 06:40:11 PM »

Sounds like a sensible mod to me, especially since it can easily be reverted to original and looks right from the outside . On a lesser note, I use electronic ignition on my day to day R4 and it means I am not always setting the points

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 24 April, 2013, 03:01:00 PM »

Charles,
Sent you a PM ref PerTronix. I have tried a Flaminia distributor fitted with a Lumenition 'chopper' kit on an Aurelia engine which seemed to work well but there is an unsightly external box.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd