Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 09:16:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2C Help please  (Read 15238 times)
blueboxer

« Reply #15 on: 15 April, 2013, 07:48:43 PM »

Thanks for all the replies.

I have ordered a selection of the suggested products and will attempt to seal the carb mounts when they arrive in a few days.

The airfilter support bracket is still in place but I don't have the original air filter box. I'll have to try and track one down -  are they the same as the Coupe?
For the time being, I'll try and fabricate something to take a little weight off the carbs by maybe bolting onto the support bracket and feeding under the ITG filter unit.

I did read the carb tuning thread which has a lot of useful info. I think my problems stem from the carb mounts but there is maybe further room for improvement once they're repaired. The larger slow running jets could well prove a useful addition.

Feb 1965 RHD Fulvia 2C (still running it's original engine and gearbox) and quite a few others of various marques
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #16 on: 16 April, 2013, 12:40:32 AM »

Thanks for all the replies.

I have ordered a selection of the suggested products and will attempt to seal the carb mounts when they arrive in a few days.

The airfilter support bracket is still in place but I don't have the original air filter box. I'll have to try and track one down -  are they the same as the Coupe?
For the time being, I'll try and fabricate something to take a little weight off the carbs by maybe bolting onto the support bracket and feeding under the ITG filter unit.

I did read the carb tuning thread which has a lot of useful info. I think my problems stem from the carb mounts but there is maybe further room for improvement once they're repaired. The larger slow running jets could well prove a useful addition.

I have a complete air cleaner  that I don't want a fortune for, they are the same as the coupe, if you're interested PM me, I shall be at Autoitalia at Brooklands 4th May so I can bring it along.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
blueboxer

« Reply #17 on: 16 April, 2013, 12:20:32 PM »

I have a complete air cleaner  that I don't want a fortune for, they are the same as the coupe, if you're interested PM me, I shall be at Autoitalia at Brooklands 4th May so I can bring it along.

Brian
8227 Cool

thanks, I've sent you an email

Feb 1965 RHD Fulvia 2C (still running it's original engine and gearbox) and quite a few others of various marques
blueboxer

« Reply #18 on: 19 April, 2013, 08:41:30 PM »

I tried some liquid rubber stuff on the carb mount cracks but my flat spot problem has not been cured.  I'm going to double check for air leaks and maybe try one of the other products I've bought.

I went for a long drive tonight and at first thought the flat spot was better but not cured. Once the car was very hot, I noticed the flat spot was much worse and the idling was much higher (about 1500rpm) rather than the usual 800ish. The flat spot occurs at 2000 and it's not possible to move off smoothly without a heap of revs unless you're on the flat or downhill when less than 2000 revs can be used to move off . So, going to double check for air leaks again and after that, I'm looking at carb tuning and then maybe trying some larger idle jets as suggested on the carburettor tuning thread. David went for 55's but I'm guessing he will have been running Solex 34's so can anyone tell me what would be the correct size for Solex 32's?

Failing all of this, I'll have to try and find someone on Jersey that know Solex carbs and see what they have to say.

nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #19 on: 23 April, 2013, 07:19:08 AM »

The gaskets between carbs and rubber support and/or between support and intake manifold may have failed. Check that all 8 nuts are tight (some of them are not very easily accessible). Worth checking that the needle valve (easily tested on the Solex) is of the correct size (stamped on it; berlina different from coupe). Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #20 on: 24 April, 2013, 11:18:26 AM »

Unless you took the rubber mounting off you may well have cracks underneath too leaking air. The large metal air filter obviously adds weight but the carbs themselves are big old things hanging and vibrating on that rubber. So some sort of support must be used to protect the rubber mount, especially if you buy a new one.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
blueboxer

« Reply #21 on: 12 May, 2013, 06:21:30 PM »

I tried the various liquid rubber products but could only get access to the top of the carb mounts and of course, they were likely to be just as perished below. I decided to take the carbs off the mounts today to see if they were perished. Once off, they did look perished and on one of the mounts, I could almost push a screwdriver through without any real force.

I contacted Omicron last week to see if they had any new mounts in stock but unfortunately they didn't. They are checking to see if they have any good secondhand ones. The 2C has 2 mounts rather than the single mount of the Coupe. I do have a new Coupe mount but although it fits, the bores are bigger so would need reducing with gaskets but this is probably not a good thing to do in the long run.
I could try covering the existing mounts with one of the rubber solutions but I'm not sure this would be anything other than a very temporary fix (if at all).
So, does anyone know where can I get 2 new mounts from that are suitable for solex 32's on a 2C?.

* carb mounts.jpg (584.77 KB, 2592x1936 - viewed 331 times.)

Dilambdaman
Permanent resident

« Reply #22 on: 13 May, 2013, 08:12:37 AM »

Have you tried Cavalito?

http://www.lanciaricambi.it/

Robin.

Robin Lacey 3222

1932 Dilambda
1992 Y10 GTie
2012 Delta Mk3
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #23 on: 13 May, 2013, 09:33:18 AM »

Andy,
I am not sure where you are in the UK....and I am away till Thursday May 23rd but I am certain I have a pair of used carb mounts in good condition in my garage in Sunningdale. If you want to borrow these I am sure I can get you to liaise with my son Alex who can get access to this garage.
However I would have thought Enrico at Cavalitto will be able to help and there are other Fulvia parts sellers in Italy who do a postal service.
Any small leak will affect the slow running dramatically. In my experience the leaks tend to be on the upper surface ( because of the weight of the carbs if there is no support) and you can drip oil onto the rubber whilst the engine is running to see if it gets sucked in.whilst
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
blueboxer

« Reply #24 on: 13 May, 2013, 10:08:42 AM »

Chris, many thanks for your kind offer. I'm in Jersey at present but I have literally just found a place in Germany that has them in stock. Well, they have the 1 piece 1200 mount rather than the 2C 2x mounts. I think for longevity, the one piece mount might be better anyway.
I emailed the place that Robin suggested (thank you) but then found another link that came through to http://www.bielstein.com who have a ecommerce store showing them in stock. 167 euros so not cheap.

Whilst searching, I came across various articles saying Dellortos are better, etc which made me think should I swap the Solex. Dellortos 32's are an option but finding them isn't easy. Is going for a large version say Dellorto 35's an option? I know I can make them fit but will the carb be to big for the car?
« Last Edit: 13 May, 2013, 10:52:31 PM by blueboxer » Logged

lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #25 on: 13 May, 2013, 10:17:26 AM »

Also Spitline has same one piece mount

http://spitline.com/scheda.asp?id=9097

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #26 on: 13 May, 2013, 10:16:52 PM »

Spitline is new to me.  I typed in "Flavia" and got back 15 pages.  A whole new world...

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #27 on: 14 May, 2013, 07:42:54 AM »

Excellent source of new and used. Roberto has good English and posts very quick. I got my Flavia Dynamo brushes there.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #28 on: 14 May, 2013, 09:55:28 AM »

Prices seem reasonable as well , especially for Italy ......

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
blueboxer

« Reply #29 on: 18 May, 2013, 10:53:25 AM »

The new carb mount arrived yesterday from Germany. Quality looks nice as well. Took my time to clean everything up and fit it. Pretty certain no more air leaks for the time being.

However, I think the previous owner must have set the carbs up for a leaky mount as without touching anything, I refitted the carbs and started up to be met with a very high idle (1500 rpm) that then increased the moment I touched the throttle without really returning to an idle position, i.e staying at 2000+rpm.

I've had a quick play with the throttle opening adjusting screw and the throttle synchronising screw. I'm not really familiar with twin carb tuning so am not sure what order to start adjusting things in. I also don't have a carb balancer so will have to order one in.  It's either that or find someone on Jersey that tunes carbs which might not be easy. Would like to at least get it driveable in the meantime though by getting rid of the high idle and then the racing the moment I touch the throttle without the return to an idling speed. Any suggestions gratefully received!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd