Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 05:56:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Specials  (Read 12269 times)
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« on: 09 April, 2013, 04:31:10 PM »

Probably familiar to some other Forum users, but I can't remember it being on here before http://www.geelongrevival.com.au/lancia-special-at-grf/ it is in the Bugatti photo also, according to the caption

* DSC02161.jpg (5.18 KB, 200x133 - viewed 919 times.)

* unknown.jpg (34.42 KB, 600x420 - viewed 503 times.)
« Last Edit: 12 February, 2015, 04:15:38 PM by Richard Fridd » Logged

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 09 April, 2013, 05:31:41 PM »

Another Sliding Pillar Special. Does anyone here have more on Australian Lancia specials?

* Castlemaine16.JPG (91.26 KB, 1024x721 - viewed 501 times.)
« Last Edit: 09 April, 2013, 05:44:53 PM by Richard Fridd » Logged

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2013, 07:51:34 AM »

Bill Jamieson is writing a book about all of the Lambdas in Australia, including all of the many specials. It will be an interesting read.
 Regards, John
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2013, 09:04:19 AM »

Thanks John, I shall look forward to that. Richard

Andrew Cox
« Reply #4 on: 11 April, 2013, 11:36:45 AM »

John is of course correct, Bill's book will be a very interesting read, although how much space he will be able to devote to the Specials will be an issue for Bill given the planned scope of the book. The postwar racing scene in Australia was dominated by locally built Specials until the early 1950s and a high percentage of these cars included  bits of Lambda in thier construction. There were also many Specials that were substantially Lambda based; shortened Lambda Specials with Ford V8 engines were very competitive on the racetracks and hillclimbs of the period.

The two cars pictured in Richard's post are both worthy of note. I won't try and re-write the (very good) article on John Hickford's (ex- Eddie Perkins) mid engined Special, except to say that the original car was was very well known and competitive in it's class until the early 1960s and that it's reappearance with it's second owner driver has justifiably attracted great attention wherever John competes with the car. I have spent a lot of time at historic race events over the past thirty years or so, and would have to say that the reception John has recieved recentlly verges on rapturous, although Lambda Specials have long been a passion of mine and I could be a bit biased.

The other car pictured on the 2001 Castlemaine Rally poster is the Chandler Special originally built by Ron Chandler and which later morphed into the Lancia Meadows monoposto built by Rob Harcourt. This car is an amalgam of the original Chandler Special and the Lambda based Meadows Special built by Neville Webb in the early fifties, and would arguably be the fastest unblown vintage Special in Australia. Watching Rob pilot the car around various racetracks and hillclimbs you cannot help to be struck by the relative serenity of Rob's driving style compared with the frantic movements of his competitors. The car is a credit to both Rob and Vincenzo Lancia, it is basically a narrowed fifth series Lambda fitted with all Lambda components except the 3 litre 4EH Meadows engine which first saw service in Australian assembled Chic car around 1925. The 4EH is essentially a larger version of the famed 4ED fitted to Fraser-Nash and Lea Francis of the Vintage period. I believe the engine is now producing around 200bhp since a recent rebuild involving a new crank. It is a truly impressive vintage racing Special.

LMC members with a keen eye will spot Ben Courage admiring John's Special.

* Castlemaine 21-055.jpg (380.95 KB, 1024x681 - viewed 601 times.)

* Winton 2011-203.jpg (187.68 KB, 1024x681 - viewed 546 times.)
« Last Edit: 12 April, 2013, 01:10:35 AM by Andrew Cox » Logged
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 11 April, 2013, 10:37:25 PM »

John is of course correct, Bill's book will be a very interesting read, although how much space he will be able to devote to the Specials will be an issue for Bill given the planned scope of the book. The postwar racing scene in Australia was dominated by locally built Specials until the early 1950's and a high percentage of these cars included  bits of Lambda in thier construction. There were also many Specials that were substantially Lambda based; shortened Lambda Specials with Ford V8 engines were very competitive on the racetracks and hillclimbs of the period.

The two cars pictured in Richard's post are both worthy of note. I won't try and re-write the (very good) article on John Hickford's (ex- Eddie Perkins) mid engined Special, except to say that the original car was was very well known and competitive in it's class until the early 1960's and that it's reappearance with it's second owner driver has justifiably attracted great attention wherever John competes with the car. I have spent a lot of time at historic race events over the past thirty years or so, and would have to say that the reception John has recieved recentlly verges on rapturous, although Lambda Specials have long been a passion of mine and I could be a bit biased.

The other car pictured on the 2001 Castlemaine Rally poster is the Chandler Special originally built by Ron Chandler and which later morphed into the Lancia Meadows monoposto. This car is an amalgam of the original Chandler Special and the Lambda based Meadows Special built by Neville Webb in the early fifties, and would arguably be the fastest unblown vintage Special in Australia. Watching Rob pilot the car around various racetracks and hillclimbs you cannot help to be struck by the relative serenity of Rob's driving style compared with the frantic movements of his competitors. The car is a credit to both Rob and Vincenzo Lancia, it is basically a narrowed fifth series Lambda fitted with all Lambda components except the 3 litre 4EH Meadows engine which first saw service in Australian assembled Chic car around 1925. The 4EH is essentially a larger version of the famed 4ED fitted to Fraser-Nash and Lea Francis of the Vintage period. I believe the engine is now producing around 200bhp since a recent rebuild involving a new crank. It is a truly impressive vintage racing Special.

LMC members with a keen eye will spot Ben Courage admiring John's Special.

and if it works, here's a photo of the car being driven. Regards, John

* Lambdaspecial.jpg (320.45 KB, 3086x1316 - viewed 850 times.)
BlueSky
Lapsed

« Reply #6 on: 12 April, 2013, 01:02:38 AM »

From the VSCC of Victoria magazine, John Hickford in his Lambda Special last year.

* John Hickford.jpg (630.04 KB, 730x1042 - viewed 545 times.)

1937 1st series Aprilia Berlina
Nissan X-Trail T31 TS
1920 P & M 3 1/2hp {FOR SALE}
John Deere LX188
www.narrywoolan.com.au/home
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 12 April, 2013, 07:23:21 AM »

I'd love to see a photo of one of these next to a 500.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 12 April, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »

I think these Australian Lambda based specials are fantastic. I am fortunate to have an Australian Club poster that includes photos of some of these cars. The photo in Richard's second post is from the front side of the same poster. I will reproduce four of these in separate posts with some of the captions and photographic credits.

The first is the “Chandler Special”, with photo attributed to John Hickford. This was a “heavily modified” 5th Series Lambda with 8th Series mechanicals. Driver is Eddie Perkins.

Colin

* Aus Specials 1.jpg (140.33 KB, 945x656 - viewed 525 times.)
« Last Edit: 12 April, 2013, 06:13:38 PM by ColinMarr » Logged
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 12 April, 2013, 05:29:47 PM »

This is the "West Special" being driven at a hill-climb in 1949 by Bill West - photo attributed to Ted Hider-Smith. It has Lancia brakes, suspension and diff.

Colin   

* Aus Specials 2.jpg (140.72 KB, 945x524 - viewed 585 times.)
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 12 April, 2013, 05:33:23 PM »

This is the "Hider-Smith Special" being driven by Ted Hider-Smith in 1945, with photo acknowledged to him too. The car is a shortened 8th Series Lambda with 5th Series engine.

Colin

* Aus Specials 3.jpg (144.21 KB, 945x680 - viewed 447 times.)
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 12 April, 2013, 05:39:18 PM »

This is the "Lancia Meadows" driven and constructed by Rob Harcourt and with photo courtesy of him too. The car is a much altered 5th Series Lambda with many 7th Series parts and a modified Meadows engine. This photo is from 2000 and shows Stirling Moss driving an HWM Jaguar in pursuit.

Colin

* Aus Specials 4.jpg (133.53 KB, 945x537 - viewed 516 times.)
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 26 April, 2013, 07:53:41 AM »

From Rob Harcourt http://www.motormarques.com/news/melbourne-desk/item/340-33rd-historic-winton-lancia-meadows
« Last Edit: 26 April, 2013, 07:56:08 AM by Richard Fridd » Logged

BlueSky
Lapsed

« Reply #13 on: 26 April, 2013, 09:47:08 AM »

There are more photos of Rob Harcourt and the Lancia Meadows from my visit to Winton in 2011 here:
http://www.narrywoolan.com.au/home/Winton_May_2011.html
Noel

1937 1st series Aprilia Berlina
Nissan X-Trail T31 TS
1920 P & M 3 1/2hp {FOR SALE}
John Deere LX188
www.narrywoolan.com.au/home
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 26 April, 2013, 10:09:35 AM »

The first thought is "how much Lancia chassis in there..."

http://www.narrywoolan.com.au/home/Winton_May_2011.html#60

Looking at the others I wonder just how much power a Lambda can make...and what breaks first...

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd