Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 01:12:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LMC Aprilia rear spring tool  (Read 13961 times)
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #30 on: 02 April, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »

Hoisted by my own petard......Wink.....gee guys, gimme a break, its up to the sand/media blaster on Thursday....more to follow

P

Frank Gallagher
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #31 on: 04 April, 2013, 05:30:19 PM »

The spring press has re-appeared with photo !

http://www.subito.it/accessori-auto/attrezzo-per-balestre-lancia-aprilia-lecco-62073205.htm

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #32 on: 05 April, 2013, 09:54:53 AM »

Now we are back to posting about the tool itself, let me clarify a possible misunderstanding. The tool for compressing the spring is a large and elaborate device as in the photo with Ade at the start of this thread and in the Subito advert. I am sure this is a fine thing to have, but in practice it need not be used.

The rear transverse spring can be fitted to the car in its relaxed state and the ends of the spring can then be jacked into place, one end at a time. Although the rear of the car may need to be weighted-up to stop it simply also rising with the jack. Persuading mother-in-law to sit in the back could do the trick – as it once did for me, but that was a long time ago!

A much simpler and more common tool is an “H” or “U” section beam with clamps simply to hold the spring in its flat mode. A device like this can also be used to remove and refit a Fulvia front spring, not that I have ever had the pleasure of trying it.

Also to clarify, there is no need for such a tool for use on an Aurelia.

Colin
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #33 on: 05 April, 2013, 11:32:41 AM »

Thats true Colin.......and yes I suspect with a bit of ingenuity, making or modifiying other tools will do the job

P

Frank Gallagher
Lapsed Cesare Ferrari
Lapsed

« Reply #34 on: 05 April, 2013, 02:43:33 PM »

But gentlemen, for those who are mechanically active is not the Subito tool a most wonderful thing to be able to buy for E120, may I remind you?
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #35 on: 06 April, 2013, 07:05:58 PM »

Having changed springs with and without the special tool, I know which route I prefer !

With the tool, you felt in control, without, it was always a bit risky ..... these springs are vicious and have been known to flip cars if the hangers fail ! 

The tool on Subito, will, I think, allow you to remove the spring and keep it flat, but I am not sure how safely it would permit the spring to be decompressed. I would like to see some more guide/retaining rails to keep the spring straight as the ends slide along the bar.

I could be tempted by said tool , but I think I can make a better one for less money

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #36 on: 07 April, 2013, 09:52:44 AM »

Having changed springs with and without the special tool, I know which route I prefer !

Perhaps my mother-in-law was heavier and more obliging than yours!

Colin
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd