Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:56:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: camshafts  (Read 2353 times)
chugga boom
Non-LMC Seller
Permanent resident

« on: 16 February, 2013, 10:28:07 PM »

i've just aquired an s2 1600hf, long story short i used to own the car and sold it to buy my ardea pickup, anyway its back home  Grin when i had the car i had 2 engines, 1 went with the car 1 was sold on to a well known lmc member, anyway now i've had the car back the engine is completely stripped for rebuild, when i bought the engine origionally it was reputed to be a race engine ex hscc that had done 1 race and partially seized, this part was certainly true and it now sports a rebored block and new pistons.
upon examination of all the major components the head has had alot of work being pollished and ported as has the inlet manifold, the flywheel is lightened, next interesting part is the cams, both have been dramatically reprofilled and after my dad measured them with a dial gauge they have 2mm more lift than standard, inlet has a much wider duration than standard , can anyone shed any light on these cams and are they going to be too wild for road use?? ive bought a group 4 inlet and intend on running 45's and i've bought a full group 4 exhaust to go with it, i want it to be quick but useable at the same time, any advice appriciated

1935 augusta lusso (chugga)
1935 belna saloon
1935 augusta lusso
1938 ardenne
1939 aprilia lusso
1958 appia s2
1963 appia s3 
195? appia camioncino
1972 fulvia 1600HF
1976 fulvia coupe
194? ardea SUV  "THE BEAST!!!"
HF Harry

« Reply #1 on: 05 April, 2013, 07:48:31 AM »

Hello, you need to determine the valve opening period for the intake and exhaust duration. The amount of duration and overlap will determine how 'road useable' the engine will be and in particular, where the peak torque will appear.

Let me know if you are unsure of how to check this.

Regards,
Harry.

I have worked on the Lancia Fulvia from 1975 - what a machine!!

Yes, I am the 'Harry' who built the quick Fulvia's in the late 80's and early 90's!!!!!!!
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 05 April, 2013, 07:57:49 AM »

"Too much" depends on the driver and the use rather than being a straight yes/no.

Given you want a quick one why not give them a go and see? 

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
HF Harry

« Reply #3 on: 06 April, 2013, 08:21:14 AM »

Fulvia camshafts need to be set up correctly. If you have a pair of original works/team camshafts, then the details of the set up will be written in tiny writing on them. If you do not have any specifications, then be prepared to spend a great deal of time getting the best out of them.
I remember Barry Waterhouse spending a whole day doing this and he knew what he was doing!!!

Regards,

Harry.

I have worked on the Lancia Fulvia from 1975 - what a machine!!

Yes, I am the 'Harry' who built the quick Fulvia's in the late 80's and early 90's!!!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd