Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 09:06:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, just when is the chairman going to write that letter?  (Read 9971 times)
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« on: 11 November, 2012, 03:35:47 PM »

No doubt a few of you have read the Driving section of the ST today.

A certain JC slated the latest "Lancia" car to land on these shores. I have no personal experience of the Ypsilon, but he gave it 1* out of five.

A few of his lines.....

"I firmly believe that in the last 100 years Lancia has made more truly great cars than any other brand"

He then lists the greats...... then he goes onto denigrate those who have kept the pre war cars on the go....and I suppose by association members of this club.

"The Gamma was a case in point . We all knew on full lock, a design fault meant the pistons would meet the valves in a head on collision, causing the engine to explode"

Finally, he wheels out the hackneyed and damning rust issue......

"Some say that Lancias were unreliable and while this is almost certainly true, its hard to be sure because they had usually rusted away long before the mechanicals had a chance to malfunction"

He then rambles away foul mouthing all an sundry associated with the car and Lancia.

Hoping a letter finds its way into the intray of said oaf and indeed the LMC issues a challenge of sorts to the troika of presenters on the TG programme shortly to begin a new series.

Not a very happy member!

P

Frank Gallagher
Charles

« Reply #1 on: 11 November, 2012, 05:46:25 PM »

What score did he give the Fiat 500 I wonder?  It's basically the same car except the Ypsilon has a slightly longer wheelbase and so should ride a bit better.  It's not a Lancia, of course, but it is amusing that if you stick a "Fiat" badge on it's ok while if you stick a "Lancia" badge on it suddenly becomes rubbish!  As for Lancia reliability, hasn't he heard of the Appia's legendary reliability?  But perhaps he's thinking of the more modern Lancias. I drove Betas as my daily car for more than 10 years and I never had a problem, very tough cars. I've still got one and it hasn't rusted away yet!   My Gammas are still going well too after 30 years.

Augusta berlina, Appia S3 berlina
Flaminia convertible 2.8 3c Touring
Beta spider S1 1600, Gamma berlina S1
Gamma coupe S1, Delta 1.6 multijet
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 11 November, 2012, 06:13:15 PM »

I read this and it is typically Clarkson

but interestingly he still loves the cars we love.

I don't think there is much to be gained to turn him round re the current Lancia (aka Chrysler) offering because as we all know these cars are not the Lancias we/he loves.

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
SanRemo78
Rebel Poster

« Reply #3 on: 11 November, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »

It's a complete waste of time writing to them - we'd only end up facing more ridicule a la Morris Marina Owners Club. We know the truth. Leave it at that as far as I'm concerned!

Guy
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 11 November, 2012, 08:50:45 PM »

It's a complete waste of time writing to them - we'd only end up facing more ridicule a la Morris Marina Owners Club. We know the truth. Leave it at that as far as I'm concerned!

Guy

Not sure Guy......at least we protested and stood up for our wonderful marque....I too would ridicule Morris Marinas ........Smiley...Wink

P
« Last Edit: 11 November, 2012, 09:02:02 PM by Parisien » Logged

Frank Gallagher
Zagato

« Reply #5 on: 11 November, 2012, 10:07:51 PM »

From what I can see the more you try to fight them the more radical they become in their condemnation of the product

They only say and write these things to get a reaction and further their own careers

In the good old days they used to say 'Yesterdays newspaper is tomorrow's chip paper' (when you used to buy your chips in old newspapers ... tasted better then?)

So I would leave it be ... responding and reacting will only add fuel to their fire .... in my opinion     
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 11 November, 2012, 10:51:59 PM »

...don't see how they can damage Lancia any more than they have been already............

Seems they are just slagging off those who are fans of the marque.......sure they'd turn it into a laugh on the programme.........but it would just be a form of media bullying.......in reality it belittles them more than the marque and its enthusiasts.

My 5 pence worth..........ok....shillings worth.....Smiley

P

Frank Gallagher
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 11 November, 2012, 11:12:05 PM »

At least we are not the Audi Car club!!!

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: 12 November, 2012, 12:17:49 AM »

Fact is-the Ypsilon is an awful car

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
Thotos
Administrator
Megaposter

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #9 on: 12 November, 2012, 12:51:55 AM »

I like the Ypsilon! During a recent trip to Italy, I paid extra to specifically hire a new Ypsilon and found it a great car. It was roomy, comfortable, quiet, handled well, returned over 60mpg and most importantly had superb air conditioning  Cheesy

* Ypsilon.jpg (182.25 KB, 800x537 - viewed 329 times.)

Theo Kyriacou
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 12 November, 2012, 08:54:38 AM »

I fail to understand why anyone bothers to watch this egomaniac pontificating his views, mostly of which he knows nothing, but which have made him very rich, so I can understand why he does it.
Had enough of him last time when Lancia pulled out of the RHD market in 1994, in good faith many LMC Members loaned their cars for what we thought was going to be a review of the Marques History, instead we got Clarkson rubbishing the cars using 'wooden Magnets' to prove how rusty Lancias were on some of the nicest condition Lancias around.

Don't get annoyed with him and his idiot dummies.
STOP WATCHING

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 12 November, 2012, 09:50:38 AM »

Whether or not the Ypsilon is a good car I am not qualified to say. However, it is offered in some rather dubious colour combinations, this was spotted at a local David LLoyd Centre (no, I am not a member, it's embarrassing enough trying to get out from under the B20 with Jim laughing his head off!!!). It is at times like this that I am glad the cars carry a Chrysler badge and not the Lancia one !!!!

Your comments are welcomed, as are contributions of other 'interesting' colours on Lancias, or indeed any other car.

Best wishes,

Andy
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 12 November, 2012, 09:56:40 AM »

Fact is-the Ypsilon is an awful car

....eeemmmmm...Peter are you JC in disguise on this forum.....Wink

Thotos....we all know you are au fait with the modern range.....very positive

Who do I believe??!!

P

Frank Gallagher
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 12 November, 2012, 09:58:58 AM »

I fail to understand why anyone bothers to watch this egomaniac pontificating his views, mostly of which he knows nothing, but which have made him very rich, so I can understand why he does it.
Had enough of him last time when Lancia pulled out of the RHD market in 1994, in good faith many LMC Members loaned their cars for what we thought was going to be a review of the Marques History, instead we got Clarkson rubbishing the cars using 'wooden Magnets' to prove how rusty Lancias were on some of the nicest condition Lancias around.

Don't get annoyed with him and his idiot dummies.
STOP WATCHING

Brian
8227 Cool

The fact is.......its a very entertaining show.......I quite like the old git.....and have a soft spot for May.......pity they let show-off manship....get in the way of a few decent or relevant facts.

P

Frank Gallagher
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #14 on: 12 November, 2012, 10:56:28 AM »

Well, I just thought that on this ocassion JC was right about the Ypsilon.

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd