Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 11:27:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brake servo  (Read 13370 times)
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« on: 23 October, 2012, 02:16:22 PM »

Next problem.  The servo on my series II Sport 1600 is not functioning.  Omicron do not have recon. kits but Cavallito sells a diaphragm and various folks on Ebay sell recon. kits for series IIa Girling servos as fitted to various British cars of the 60s.  Can anyone tell me what type of servo is fitted to my car (apart from Girling, that is!)?  The alternative is to fit a servo and master cylinder from another car - has anyone done this?  I have asked Amadei for a quote for a complete servo and await with bated breath for the shock.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 23 October, 2012, 05:26:58 PM »

Bonaldi Italy. Dont know they come apart. Have you tried second hand? Alternatively try Roberto at Spitline! http://spitline.com/scheda.asp?id=10644 (this is the part - seems on an exchange basis but not expensive)....

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 02 November, 2012, 10:55:06 AM »

Yes, also http://lancia.cc/?page=article/catalog&catalog=Catalogue%20Fulvia.  Trouble is, international carriage for return (2.6 Kg) costs £60!  Anyone know a way round that one?

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 02 November, 2012, 11:08:46 AM »

http://www.parcel2go.com/?ad=priceled&gclid=COy2x_SDma8CFYpjfAodHCNO1w

Could try these guys

P

Frank Gallagher
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #4 on: 02 November, 2012, 12:46:53 PM »

I don't recall repairing the servos was any great difficulty. It's a while since I've done one but there's not a lot to them. As I recall the only tricky bit is spliting the chamber without the spring flying out. I think it was a two person job with the case held in the vice, one steadying it whilst the other turned one half until the detents had unlocked.

Once apart you need to check it for rust as water collects at the bottom and can cause pin holes, although failure is almost certainly the diaphram splitting. Clean it, a good coat of etch primer and a good top coat inside and out then it should be fine.

Neil

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 02 November, 2012, 01:13:16 PM »

I don't recall repairing the servos was any great difficulty. It's a while since I've done one but there's not a lot to them. As I recall the only tricky bit is spliting the chamber without the spring flying out. I think it was a two person job with the case held in the vice, one steadying it whilst the other turned one half until the detents had unlocked.

Once apart you need to check it for rust as water collects at the bottom and can cause pin holes, although failure is almost certainly the diaphram splitting. Clean it, a good coat of etch primer and a good top coat inside and out then it should be fine.

Neil

I think a DIY post with photos would be good on this Neil/David.......

Smiley

P

Frank Gallagher
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 17 November, 2012, 02:42:04 PM »

I have had quite a chat by email with Felix Furtak at

http://lancia.cc/index.php

who are based in South Africa.  They can supply exchange units but the cost of transport to SA from UK is excessive so I am trying a UK firm (will report back).   He has been very helpful and attentive and it is a shame I cannot do business with him.  They have a good selection of spares for all older Lancias and could be worth a look.

I don't feel at the moment up to doing it myself and where would I get a diaphragm anyway?  Need to get on and do other Lancias so this time I will buy someone else's time!

davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 01 February, 2013, 01:49:47 PM »

Just had the servo rebuilt by J&L Spares of Rochdale http://www.jlspares.com/brakeparts.htm  for £210 including vat and delivery.  It looks like new, has clearly been stripped cleaned, rebuilt and even replated.   Nice people to deal with and none of the complication and cost of sending to Italy.

davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 05 March, 2013, 05:56:31 PM »

Put it on and all was well for some 20 miles.   Then the brake pedal travel became minimal, thought "Ah, no air in the brakes, fine"  Then after a few more miles, while overtaking a tractor, the brakes came on of themselves, harder and harder and I had to stop (safely past the tractor but a bit embarrassing nonetheless).  I slackened the joints of the pipes at the master cylinder to release the pressure and re-tightened and went home on the handbrake (who needs brakes anyway?).   This morning put her in the garage and started her up and tried the brakes a number of times and they felt totally normal.  Anyone any ideas please?   The chap from J&L spares did not think it was likely to be the servo (but offered to retest it anyway).

lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 05 March, 2013, 06:33:16 PM »

check the actuating rod as the length can be sensitive and provide the symptoms you describe. Never had this my self but have heard lf it on Fulvias.....

Interest ingly I reversed my HF out of the Garage after a longish rest over winter and back down the drive and the brake pedal went to the floor when trying to stop.  Pulled handbrake on and pumped the pedal a couple of times a it now feels like normal.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #10 on: 06 March, 2013, 12:41:16 PM »

I agree with Tim: even a very minor change in the actuating rod length can produce the problem you had. This is manifested when the underbonnet temperature goes up and induces a slight increment in the overall length enough to block the brakes. You will have to reset the system by reducing the rod extension by 2-3 mm. However, it can be a matter of trial and error. Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 06 March, 2013, 02:14:41 PM »

I have experienced this problem in a friend's S2, especially on warm days when the car will become virtually undriveable as you destroy the front brake pads, let the car cool down (several hours) and the brakes free off or release the pressure on the master cylinder, he has rebuilt the master cylinder, rebuilt the calipers, replaced the front flexible pipes to no avail.  Another Fulvia driver in the UK had the same problem, they read of a similar problem with another make of car and make some adjustments and the problem has not re-occurred since shorting the rod length to the top of the pedal.

I have just sent my master cylinder and servo to be reconditioned by J&L, the parts arrived today and will carefully measuring the rod before refitting to the car as per the manual's recommended length.

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 06 March, 2013, 06:21:27 PM »

I have experienced this as well. The early warning of the brakes about to bind-on being less and less free movement of the pedal. Shortening the rod by half a turn of the adjuster solved the problem for me. And fixing it lying upside down with your head in the footwell in the dark and in the rain is such fun!

Colin
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 06 March, 2013, 10:10:51 PM »

Colin, you get all the fun !!!!!!!!

There is nothing like necessity to force the issue, in your case dark and rain were not sufficient to prevent you  from successfully addressing the issue.

This, 'I will succeed' attitude is I feel sure what binds we of the LMC together. Well done !!

Andy

davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 07 March, 2013, 10:10:28 AM »

At least I was able to do this in the garage in the dry.   Seems logical, have done same, brakes now come on at a comfortable half pedal and so far so good.  Thank you Gentlemen!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd