Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 12:32:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tapping/Knocking Noise  (Read 58929 times)
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #105 on: 06 May, 2016, 07:34:53 AM »

The clutch comes out with the gearbox. I will not be doing more than swapping it over. I put a new friction plate on it when I had the gearbox out last time when looking for this noise!!! The whole job is 'tricky' rather than difficult. The work is made easier with the use of Jim's gearbox support thingy that goes on the trolley jack. See my earlier post for a photograph. I am not sure when I will get round to doing it ..... best time would be when the Gussie and B20 are away for their paint jobs, but the list of things to be done in that window is huge already!!!!!

First things first, get a gearbox!!!

Andy
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #106 on: 06 May, 2016, 08:31:36 AM »

First things first, get a gearbox!!!

There are plenty at the Appia Consortium in Hartlepool !

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #107 on: 10 November, 2016, 10:46:36 PM »

So 6 months ago I was saying that I would swap the gearbox ..... as you might have guessed that swap has not yet been done!!! However, I have now moved the car to the workshop .... see "An Augusta Story" for the details. On the drive to the workshop it became apparent that the noise was present even with the clutch dipped and therefore I became dubious about the fault being in the gearbox itself. Then I had a eureka moment, the noise would accord with there being something catching the starter ring .... perhaps the starter!!!! So, off with the starter, not the easiest job, but I did manage it. However, the starter motor pinion was in excellent condition without even a hint that something might be catching on the starter ring .... That was disappointing ... if that had been the problem then it would be an easy fix!!! However an inspection of the starter ring did show fresh damage to the leading edge of the starter ring and that needs investigation!!!! So it seems that the gearbox will have to come out and the flywheel removed to investigate what might be causing the damage and most probably the noise.

The photographs show the starter ring damage. The quality is very poor as access is extremely difficult.

Does anyone have any idea about what might be causing this problem? And, possibly more importantly, does anyone have a spare starter motor that I might borrow to see if, despite the lack of apparent damage, the fault does lie with the starter??

Andy

* Appia starter ring 1.JPG (227.2 KB, 1224x1632 - viewed 423 times.)

* Appia starter ring 2.JPG (251.2 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 423 times.)

* Appia starter ring 3.JPG (295.48 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 455 times.)
rogerelias
Rebel Poster

MY 1600HF IN HEARTBEAT GARAGE

« Reply #108 on: 11 November, 2016, 06:19:55 PM »

Have you tried using the starting handle to start the car with the starter motor removed to see if it still makes the noise ? that would rule out the starter ,just a thought

FULVIA 1600HF LUSSO
1958 VELOCETTE MAC
Triumph Bonneville t120v 1972
1968 MGC ROADSTER
1958 Series 2 Appia berlina
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #109 on: 11 November, 2016, 09:25:22 PM »

The Appia has no starting handle!!! I cannot get over this ..... but there it is!!! It did occur to me to bump start it without the starter motor in and see if there was still the problem, but I am now in the mindset that it's time the gearbox came out again!!!!

Thank you for the thought ....

Andy
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #110 on: 12 November, 2016, 08:56:37 AM »

I would have thought that a bit of wear on the teeth around the area where the starter motor throws in is quite normal and nothing to worry about. Look at any Augusta flywheel! If the flywheel is fitted correctly, those marks can only be made by the starter motor, so I don't think that can be the cause of the knocking.
To get sharper photos, try getting a smaller image in the camera by moving further away - and blowing it up later - at the "editing" stage.
Good luck! Regards, John
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #111 on: 12 November, 2016, 10:17:52 AM »

Andy

As you know I felt the noise emanated from the bell housing area so can you get an endoscope or small mirror into the starter motor aperture or the oil drain/vent at the bottom of the housing or through the clutch release arm aperture to try to see other witness marks. I would have thought any thing hitting on the flywheel teeth would have made more of a rasping noise (higher frequency) withh all those teeth! And left quite metal debris withing the teeth.

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #112 on: 25 November, 2016, 12:40:51 PM »

As Jim has alluded, I am now quietly confident that I have found the source of this infernal noise. Now is not the time to go into detail, but suffice it to say that I have most definitely found A problem ....... I just hope that this time it is THE problem!! Mind you, I have been at this point before only to have my hopes dashed, so I am not holding my breath!!!!

All the necessary parts have been ordered and should arrive in about a week, then it's simply a matter of putting everything back together again!!

A further progress report is promised, hopefully in about 2 weeks time!!!!

Andy
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #113 on: 25 November, 2016, 04:24:21 PM »

Can't wait, hope you've found the problem !

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #114 on: 17 December, 2016, 10:45:21 AM »

As Jim has alluded, I am now quietly confident that I have found the source of this infernal noise. Now is not the time to go into detail, but suffice it to say that I have most definitely found A problem ....... I just hope that this time it is THE problem!! Mind you, I have been at this point before only to have my hopes dashed, so I am not holding my breath!!!!

All the necessary parts have been ordered and should arrive in about a week, then it's simply a matter of putting everything back together again!!

Andy
3 weeks is up now. How about giving us a clue? It still keeps me awake at night and I've got problems of my own to worry me!
Regards, John
Dikappa
Megaposter

« Reply #115 on: 17 December, 2016, 11:49:10 AM »

I think Andy wants to keep the scoop for his article in the Appia Consortium Newsletter.... Wink
lancianut666
Permanent resident

Slow but rough

« Reply #116 on: 17 December, 2016, 11:50:41 AM »

I hope so....
Clarkey

Fulvia Coupe S2 Flavia Coupe 1967 1.8 Kugelfischer Prisma 1.6 carb Y10 Fila Y10 Touring Dedra 1.8 Dedra 2.0 Turbo Appia S1
ben
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #117 on: 17 December, 2016, 12:45:16 PM »

So have you had a flood of membership applications for the Appia consortium from past present and future(?) Appia owners?
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #118 on: 17 December, 2016, 02:35:45 PM »

Andy
3 weeks is up now. How about giving us a clue? It still keeps me awake at night and I've got problems of my own to worry me!
Regards, John

+1

The wait is excruciating Andy, I've had to put Xmas preparations on hold...... Grin

Beanz and spill in same sentence, but just not it that order!!!!!

P

Frank Gallagher
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #119 on: 17 December, 2016, 03:54:25 PM »

I wish I had something positive to report but there has not been a lot of action in the workshop for two weeks!!!!!

I indulged in a few days in N Wales and it has been frantic since I returned on Monday. However, I have made a special tool that is necessary for my endeavours and hope to get some serious time in on the car in this week ..... although Tuesday will be interrupted by the need for me to dress up in a bright red costume and wear a false beard!!!

I also have to admit to a new distraction ...... I think it will be best explained in a new thread!!! And maybe not today, I will need to take a deep breath and gird my loins before I embark on this explanation ..... let alone the actual endeavour!!!

Andy
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd