Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:52:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Turner  (Read 8610 times)
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« on: 16 September, 2012, 04:06:33 AM »

It is my sad duty to report the death of John Turner. Many LMC members will know that John has been ill with cancer for some time, and seriously so in the past year. John’s condition deteriorated rapidly over the past few weeks and he died peacefully at home with his family during the night of 15 September.

John was a great man who contributed much to the world of Lancia - he will be missed by many.

Colin

* J 09.jpg (311.52 KB, 1181x955 - viewed 334 times.)
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 16 September, 2012, 07:03:06 AM »

It is my sad duty to report the death of John Turner. Many LMC members will know that John has been ill with cancer for some time, and seriously so in the past year. John’s condition deteriorated rapidly over the past few weeks and he died peacefully at home with his family during the night of 15 September.

John was a great man who contributed much to the world of Lancia - he will be missed by many.

Colin

So sad to hear the news of Johns passing, I only met and spoke to him a few times but he was a lovely man as well as a Lancisti through & through.

Brian
8227 Cry

* Lancia 100 Covent Garden 16-9-2007 Originals not edited. 139.JPG (389.59 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 362 times.)
« Last Edit: 16 September, 2012, 01:51:12 PM by fay66 » Logged

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 16 September, 2012, 07:47:22 AM »

John was a really helpful chap who will be very much missed - particularly by all of the Lambda owners. He was restoring a Lambda saloon, which was an example to all of how it should be done.
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 16 September, 2012, 08:02:50 AM »

I am so sad to learn of John's death.

I thought of him as one of the quiet gentlemen of the Club, someone who had accumulated a huge fund of knowledge that he was always happy to share with anyone. He gave willingly of his time and experience and was ready to help whenever I called about the Gussie. Jim and I went to visit him a couple of years ago and he took us for a ride in his (or should I say Christine's) Gussie. He drove around Islington with total disregard for the car's age, driving over speed humps as if they did not exist and, as may be expected with a car in John's care, it took it all in its stride!

My thoughts are with Christine and family at this sad time.

Andy
chugga boom
Non-LMC Seller
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 16 September, 2012, 06:32:15 PM »

A true gentleman that will be missed by us all, i really am gutted by this news as is my father, i'm just glad that I knew him, I will always remember him taking us around london in his lambda an unforgetable experience and will always be gratefull for his help with augusta parts, nothing more i can say other than a terrible  loss for his family and us as a club, his name will certainly live on

1935 augusta lusso (chugga)
1935 belna saloon
1935 augusta lusso
1938 ardenne
1939 aprilia lusso
1958 appia s2
1963 appia s3 
195? appia camioncino
1972 fulvia 1600HF
1976 fulvia coupe
194? ardea SUV  "THE BEAST!!!"
Dilambdaman
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 16 September, 2012, 09:36:41 PM »

Sad news indeed - a true gentleman who's generosity knew no bounds. He encouraged me endlessly with Modestine and a day spent with him on a Sliding Pillar Rally is etched in the memory not least because at the lunch halt he gave me the keys to his beloved Lambda and insisted that Margaret and I take it for a spin. LMC events and particularly Lambda gatherings will never be the same.

Sincere condolences to Christine and the family.

Robin and Margaret.

Robin Lacey 3222

1932 Dilambda
1992 Y10 GTie
2012 Delta Mk3
Tony Stephens

« Reply #6 on: 17 September, 2012, 08:32:36 PM »

Lovely man who I have been fortunate to count as a friend for probably 40 years. An arch Lambda enthusiast who had a broad enough mind to be attracted by all sorts of other makes - and all sorts of other subjects.
Nothing was ever too much trouble if he saw the chance to help.
But we will remember him with pleasure and fondness.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 18 September, 2012, 10:51:02 PM »

In contrast I knew John for a relatively short time and saw him rarely.  All the same we had a LOT of fun those few times and he taught me so much and about life rather than Lancias.  I remember him with huge fondness and consider myself privileged to have known him.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
038tipo
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 19 September, 2012, 12:39:59 PM »

Such sad news, John was one of our greatest Lancisti, quiet and good humoured.
I very much enjoyed my trip with him in his Lambda for the Covent Garden meeting.
My sincere condolencies to his family.
Paul Baker
Alan Temple

« Reply #9 on: 19 September, 2012, 01:29:01 PM »

I was shocked and saddened to hear of John’s death as I did not even know that he was ill. I got to know John through the meetings at David Bieda’s for Lancia in the Piazza. He was a real gentleman with a great sense of humour to whom nothing was too much trouble. He will be sadly missed by all those that knew him.
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 19 September, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »

I have just received the following message from John's family with the invitation to pass it on:

Dear All,

Many of you will already know that John passed away on the 14th of September.

We would like to invite you to his cremation and to join us afterwards in raising a glass to a wonderful husband, father and friend.

The service will take place at Golders Green Crematorium (Hoop Lane, NW11 7NL) at 2pm next Wednesday 26th September, and we will then move on to the Scolt Head pub (107A Culford Road, N1 4HT) for around 3:30pm. Formal dress is certainly not required.

For any of the vintage car gang who would like to drive we thought it would be lovely to see the cars and will be able to arrange some extra parking permits for Culford Road for the day, we would just need the car's registration from you beforehand.

We would also like to put together a collection of stories and pictures of John so if anyone has any photos or anecdotes they would like to share, please email to us at this address (slidingpillar@hotmail.com).

Lastly, rather than flowers for the funeral we would like to suggest donations to one of the following charities:

St Joseph's Hospice: http://www.stjh.org.uk/Support_Us/donate-and-support-stjosephshospice

Marie Curie: https://www.mariecurie.org.uk/en-gb/donate/

This is an open invitation so please do pass on the details to anyone else who may wish to attend.

All our best wishes,

The Turner family.
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 27 September, 2012, 07:51:22 AM »

John’s funeral yesterday was a memorable occasion.

The crematorium chapel was packed with an estimated 150 mourners. It was fitting and moving that John’s family were driven there in his old Lambda ZI 59. There were two more Lambdas present and other Lancias included an Augusta, a Flavia 2000HF and my Fulvia Zagato. Mourners had come from Switzerland, Holland and far parts of the UK.

The wake afterwards was memorable too. John will be greatly missed by many people.

Colin
chugga boom
Non-LMC Seller
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 14 November, 2012, 11:43:56 AM »

Before John passed away my father had aranged to rebuild a gearbox for Christine's augusta, My father has spoken to Christine yesterday and she still wants the gearbox repaired which we are happy to do for her, however there is a problem, John was sending us 2 gearbox's to make 1 good box out of the 2, transporting them to us will probably cost a fortune so i'm asking if anyone who either knows her or lives near London and is potentially travelling up to north wales (or in that direction) could collect them for us so her car can be repaired, there is no immediate urgency but any help would be very appriciated and i am happy to travel to meet anyone who can get them nearer to us than they are now,

1935 belna saloon
1935 augusta lusso
1938 ardenne
1939 aprilia lusso
1958 appia s2
1963 appia s3 
195? appia camioncino
1972 fulvia 1600HF
1976 fulvia coupe
chugga boom
Non-LMC Seller
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 14 November, 2012, 12:46:24 PM »

Don Williamson has also said that he could get it from a comitee meeting to me if thats any help

1935 belna saloon
1935 augusta lusso
1938 ardenne
1939 aprilia lusso
1958 appia s2
1963 appia s3 
195? appia camioncino
1972 fulvia 1600HF
1976 fulvia coupe
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 14 November, 2012, 04:34:01 PM »

Am at Nec on Sunday...if anyone can get it that far...can take it the rest of way on same day

P

Frank Gallagher
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd