Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 10:25:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: De Virgilio at Lancia  (Read 2926 times)
GG
Megaposter

« on: 28 August, 2012, 12:52:59 AM »

Some of you may know of Francesco De Virgilio, an engineer at Lancia from 1939-1975. He was responsible for, among other things, the Aurelia engine design and its variations. He had a very interesting career at Lancia, ranging from work on the Aprilia, the A10, the Aurelia, four cylinder motors in the 1950s, and even did workon competition Fulvias and helped in the very early aspects of the Stratos.

For the past 4 years, I've been working closely with his family on putting together his story for publication. Some of you know about this, and have helped already. For others, this may be news, but there are many unpublished drawings, notes, and photos to be included in a forthcoming book of some length. Making a coherent story over such a career has been a challenge, and has taken a long time. But it promises to be quite interesting for those who are interested in the early 1950s, Italian engineering, and the Lancia family.

If you have a personal story or perhaps have tucked away some important memorabilia, please feel free to contact me. Everthing will be handled discretely, and while promises can't be made to use everything, it would be nice not to overlook anything.

De Virgilio came to England in the 1990s and perhaps some of you have a small story or two. Would love to hear it.

Additional details can be found at www.lanciainfo.com,   under New Project.

Many thanks,

Geoff Goldberg  
« Last Edit: 28 August, 2012, 12:58:23 AM by GG » Logged

B20 s.2, Appia C10, Flavia 2000
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 28 August, 2012, 06:24:53 AM »

Geoffrey, I am not able to assist in this brilliant endeavour of yours but congratulate you on undertaking it.

Are you able to provide a ball park publication date or will it be, its done when its done (rather like my B20).

Good luck and I hope you get many useful responses.

Andy
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 28 August, 2012, 09:02:30 AM »

I have already sent this information and photographs of Francesco to Geoff some time ago, so it won’t be news to him, but let me share it on the Forum.

The attached photos are the only two I took of Francesco on the occasion of the Aurelia Registro's Tour of the Cotswolds (UK) in July 1993. I should have been more assertive and taken more! I spoke with him briefly and I got the impression of a fine and restrained man - he was complimentary about my 6th Series B20, which he thought was white and thus sadly revealing his failing eyesight (it was Celeste Pininfarina/ pale blue). I was only involved in one day of that tour and missed the evening event where Francesco played the piano for everyone's amusement - there is a photo of that in an old Viva Lancia! which perhaps someone can find.

I look forward to reading Geoff’s book.

Colin

* FDV1July93a.jpg (168.47 KB, 537x768 - viewed 386 times.)

* FDV2July93a.jpg (143.7 KB, 582x768 - viewed 324 times.)
Sliding Pillar
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 28 August, 2012, 03:24:25 PM »

Here's a photo of (a much younger) me with Francesco and my old B20 at the Aurelia meeting in Oxford in 1993

* De Virgilio & B20.jpg (272.65 KB, 1185x830 - viewed 324 times.)

1955 Aurelia
1961 Lamborghini
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd