Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 02:14:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Portuguese Aurelia B12 .....and so the journey begins..........  (Read 161917 times)
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #330 on: 02 August, 2019, 08:27:03 PM »

Yeah, it makes for some reading!

Will be updating it soon as a wettish week ahead, please keep a handkerchief to hand.

P
« Last Edit: 02 August, 2019, 08:54:55 PM by Parisien » Logged

Frank Gallagher
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #331 on: 09 August, 2019, 07:42:52 PM »

Thanks Brian and William, plus useful info William, always appreciated.

Just realising as I made my way home there wasn't an opening for the front wing indicators, so I've just reminded my body man to rectify, we'd already done the same for the rear wings.

P

So where was I? Maybe time for a recap for the new readers of this thread!

Oh yes, restoring a 1955 Lancia Aurelia B12 SII Berlina, which had made its way to Enniskillen by a quite circuitous route from Porto Portugal, both in time and cost many moons ago.

The first guy to attempt the body work on the B12 in late 2013 , found himself a bit out of his depth. So in July 2014 I selected a guy from Hungary who'd made his home here about 10 years and ago and had a decent reputation on both the body work and painting fronts. He said 6 months to complete which I though was reasonable and suited me time and payment schedule wise. Work ticked along at a decent pace to start with, but then stopped, then started and stopped over the last five years, yes 5 years. Despite much cajoling and understanding why there were delays from moving premises 3 times, bouts of dermatitis, several children being born and an operation or two; never mind the promise of an extra wedge of dosh, the work slowed down to a stop and as of last week to a dead stop.

I think it was in William Corkes blog or restoration thread where I'd read about his B10 and all its trials tribulations, dwelling on the moment when he got news that the paint or body shop he'd sent the car to had gone into administration and he'd better retrieve his B10 pronto or he could be in trouble and the mad scramble to ensure all his parts could be found and returned to him, well guess what happened to the B12?

The guy phoned to say he was getting some work done to his workshop and could I move the B12 temporarily to a safer located for 2/3 weeks, I thought the request a bit strange, he'd previously stated he was going on holiday so I reckoned his workshop would be empty anyways and it was plenty large to move the B12 into one area and then another as work progressed. But little did I realise he was planning to decamp lock, stock and barrel back to his home land, with no true explanation or doing the decent thing and giving me proper notice. Luckily he'd left the keys with a local guy who'd he also left with a list of parts to return to me. Naturally the list has only of about half of what was actually there plus my boot handles had gone AWOL, even though I'd searched high and low.

So after several attempts I've now moved my B12 from his desolate, rubbish strewn premises, its currently stored in a mate of my sons who knows several paint guys who he can ask to take over and hopefully finish this chapter of my restoration. Its been a stressful and unfortunate period but I intend to gird my loins and push on!

P

PS Anyone got a spare set of boot handles they'd consider selling?

PPSS The front wings and one rear wing are inside the body shell!

* IMG_20190808_171035_resized_20190809_075230627.jpg (1160.65 KB, 1984x1488 - viewed 383 times.)
« Last Edit: 09 August, 2019, 09:05:15 PM by Parisien » Logged

Frank Gallagher
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #332 on: 09 August, 2019, 10:57:58 PM »

Thanks Brian and William, plus useful info William, always appreciated.

Just realising as I made my way home there wasn't an opening for the front wing indicators, so I've just reminded my body man to rectify, we'd already done the same for the rear wings.

P

So where was I? Maybe time for a recap for the new readers of this thread!

Oh yes, restoring a 1955 Lancia Aurelia B12 SII Berlina, which had made its way to Enniskillen by a quite circuitous route from Porto Portugal, both in time and cost many moons ago.

The first guy to attempt the body work on the B12 in late 2013 , found himself a bit out of his depth. So in July 2014 I selected a guy from Hungary who'd made his home here about 10 years and ago and had a decent reputation on both the body work and painting fronts. He said 6 months to complete which I though was reasonable and suited me time and payment schedule wise. Work ticked along at a decent pace to start with, but then stopped, then started and stopped over the last five years, yes 5 years. Despite much cajoling and understanding why there were delays from moving premises 3 times, bouts of dermatitis, several children being born and an operation or two; never mind the promise of an extra wedge of dosh, the work slowed down to a stop and as of last week to a dead stop.

I think it was in William Corkes blog or restoration thread where I'd read about his B10 and all its trials tribulations, dwelling on the moment when he got news that the paint or body shop he'd sent the car to had gone into administration and he'd better retrieve his B10 pronto or he could be in trouble and the mad scramble to ensure all his parts could be found and returned to him, well guess what happened to the B12?

The guy phoned to say he was getting some work done to his workshop and could I move the B12 temporarily to a safer located for 2/3 weeks, I thought the request a bit strange, he'd previously stated he was going on holiday so I reckoned his workshop would be empty anyways and it was plenty large to move the B12 into one area and then another as work progressed. But little did I realise he was planning to decamp lock, stock and barrel back to his home land, with no true explanation or doing the decent thing and giving me proper notice. Luckily he'd left the keys with a local guy who'd he also left with a list of parts to return to me. Naturally the list has only of about half of what was actually there plus my boot handles had gone AWOL, even though I'd searched high and low.

So after several attempts I've now moved my B12 from his desolate, rubbish strewn premises, its currently stored in a mate of my sons who knows several paint guys who he can ask to take over and hopefully finish this chapter of my restoration. Its been a stressful and unfortunate period but I intend to gird my loins and push on!

P

PS Anyone got a spare set of boot handles they'd consider selling?

PPSS The front wings and one rear wing are inside the body shell!

Sorry to hear your tale of woe Frank, that's a real bummer, hope you get it sorted soon with no further problems.
My Fay was promised in 6 months but took 2 years, despite many attempts to Gee him up, eventually he decamped to France with his new squeeze, but junking my spares donor car, with many of his own cars.
But at least I did get Fay back and running after 23 years off the road.
Brian
8227  Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #333 on: 10 August, 2019, 11:23:15 AM »

What a real pain in the bum, unfortunately it is story we hear too often.

No handles I'm afraid, but get it down here and Dog can finish it for you !

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #334 on: 12 August, 2019, 06:00:45 PM »

What a real pain in the bum, unfortunately it is story we hear too often.

No handles I'm afraid, but get it down here and Dog can finish it for you !

Simon, ferry booked, please put kettle on for my arrival on Thursday morning  Grin

Up-date, due to the chaos/rush, lots of small boxes and containers, plus a layer of dust that Tutankhamen would have felt at home with, I found the lock side of the boot handles. Also coming to light were the 4 roof bolts and a half dozen other small parts.

P

Frank Gallagher
Mikenoangelo
Megaposter

« Reply #335 on: 12 August, 2019, 08:19:45 PM »

Bad luck Parisien. A chum lost the crankshaft of his engine with a rebuilder who went bust. Perhaps the answer is to keep pestering and aware of what's going on. Mind you one of the well known UK crankshaft manufacturers managed to lose my flywheel and a big end cap and he's still in business - but not for me!!

Mike
« Last Edit: 12 August, 2019, 08:23:21 PM by Mikenoangelo » Logged
Jai Sharma
Megaposter

« Reply #336 on: 12 August, 2019, 10:00:24 PM »

Sorry to read of this, but I'm sure that with a bit of help and support all will be well in the end.
tzf60

« Reply #337 on: 13 August, 2019, 01:55:36 PM »

I'm glad you got the car back, Frank. You'll probably find that most of your parts are present.
Can you get back in to the premises to conduct another search of the buildings?
I wish you well!
Tim

PS I decided to keep my restoration 'in-house', but I never seem to make any progress! I need a motivational course from Simon I.....!!!

1939 Series 1 Aprilia undergoing very slow restoration.....

Previous Lancias: 1979 Beta Sedan 2000, 1982 Delta 1500, 1988 Delta 1.3, 1992 Dedra 1.8ie
williamcorke
Rebel Poster

B10

« Reply #338 on: 13 August, 2019, 08:45:42 PM »

Commiserations Frank, I feel your pain. I'm sure you'll be able to find a better body shop and get the job done.
Best,
William

'37 Aprilia
'50 B10
'53 B20
'68 Flavia Vignale
'55 Giulietta Sprint
S1 Land Rover
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #339 on: 13 August, 2019, 09:22:14 PM »

Thank you gentlemen, have one guy lined up to look at plus another local firm, hoping to find a third to give some perspective.

P

Frank Gallagher
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #340 on: 14 August, 2019, 09:37:47 AM »

More commiserations Frank. What a tale of woe! My restoration of a B10 has come to a halt while I mend the Lambda and Augusta, but should be moving again soon. Noting the price of Aurelia spare parts and difficulty finding them, I'm tempted to go and dig up the B12, B20 and Augusta bodies I buried in about 1970 if I can find the field in Berkshire!
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #341 on: 14 August, 2019, 10:00:23 AM »

More commiserations Frank. What a tale of woe! My restoration of a B10 has come to a halt while I mend the Lambda and Augusta, but should be moving again soon. Noting the price of Aurelia spare parts and difficulty finding them, I'm tempted to go and dig up the B12, B20 and Augusta bodies I buried in about 1970 if I can find the field in Berkshire!

Probably a housing estate now! Richard Thorne has a cache of Aurelia spares.....

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #342 on: 14 August, 2019, 07:17:47 PM »

No problem John, am quite handy with a spade, shovel or other digging implements, let me know a time and place!

I'm on the trail of the few spares required, so should be ok, but out of pocket on a number of levels after this episode.

P

Frank Gallagher
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #343 on: 14 August, 2019, 07:48:59 PM »

Spent  several hours cleaning up/out the caked, layered workshop dust, especially from the inside, in readiness for the paint guys inspection.

P

* B12 resized a.jpg (1589.29 KB, 3174x2381 - viewed 378 times.)

* B12 resized b.jpg (1749.36 KB, 3174x2381 - viewed 408 times.)

Frank Gallagher
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #344 on: 14 August, 2019, 07:50:03 PM »

A couple more.

P

* B12 resized d.jpg (1650.01 KB, 3174x2381 - viewed 403 times.)

* B12 resized .jpg (1806.91 KB, 3174x2381 - viewed 356 times.)

Frank Gallagher
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd