Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 02:13:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fixing Stainless Steel Trim  (Read 7936 times)
Tim Ray
Lapsed

« on: 25 February, 2013, 04:17:14 PM »

Hello
Can somebody please suggest a suitable product for fixing stainless steel trim to the bodywork, in addition to any clips etc.
When I removed the decorative strips that are fixed to the cills on my Fulvia, they had been previously located by "black adhesive" as well as the clips. On refitting the strips, without any adhesive just the clips, the strips do not fit flush over their length to the bodywork and look unsightly.
Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
Regards
Tim
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 25 February, 2013, 06:51:17 PM »

Could we have a picture to see your problem area??

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 26 February, 2013, 12:29:14 AM »

Hello
Can somebody please suggest a suitable product for fixing stainless steel trim to the bodywork, in addition to any clips etc.
When I removed the decorative strips that are fixed to the cills on my Fulvia, they had been previously located by "black adhesive" as well as the clips. On refitting the strips, without any adhesive just the clips, the strips do not fit flush over their length to the bodywork and look unsightly.
Regards
Tim
Tim,
As I didn't want holes drilled in my new sills, I asked Omicron to fix them on without holes and clips.
It was an expensive fix as they filled the backs of all the mouldings then used the heavy duty double sided tape to stick them on, they've been on since 2004 with no problems so it was worth the expense

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Tim Ray
Lapsed

« Reply #3 on: 26 February, 2013, 09:31:58 AM »

Hello
Regards
Tim
Tim,
As I didn't want holes drilled in my new sills, I asked Omicron to fix them on without holes and clips.
It was an expensive fix as they filled the backs of all the mouldings then used the heavy duty double sided tape to stick them on, they've been on since 2004 with no problems so it was worth the expense

Brian
8227 Cool

Many Thanks Brian. Hadn't even considered using tape. Will do a trial run as soon as weather warms up here. It's -9 at the moment.
Regards
Tim
Thotos
Administrator
Megaposter

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #4 on: 26 February, 2013, 01:35:42 PM »

Many years ago when I had some bodywork on my Gamma, I decided not to screw-on but to glue the side stainless steel mouldings. So I filled the screw holes and then used double sided sticky tape to fit the mouldings. It turned out to be a mistake though as water would rest on top of the moulding, soak into the double sided tape and eventually start rusting the bodywork and create mould and even grow moss on top of the square-edged stainless moulding. I'm not familiar with the stainless strips on your Fulvia but I will say that it's an advantage to have a small gap between the stainless strip and the bodywork. Incidentally, when I had my Gamma restored a couple of years ago, I went back to screws for the strips. But I had the correct square holes punched into the panels and used the appropriate plastic inserts to take the screws so hopefully no more rust in that area  Cheesy Perhaps what you need is new clips and ensuring your stainless strips have the correct shape and curvature?

Theo Kyriacou
roddy

« Reply #5 on: 26 February, 2013, 05:08:44 PM »

Hello Tim

Not a good idea to use any of the clips the factory used to fix the bright metal trim.  The majority break or crack the surface of the paint and the rust starts immediately......    For all the fixings I have successfully used Sikaflex 221.  Available in black, white and grey.  About £8 - £10 a tube, dependent upon a 'trade' discount.   If the sill strip is very shiny on the rear, abraid the surface slightly with coarse paper, then put on big blobs of the adhesive.  Degrease the painted surface. Push on to the sill positioning carefully, and hold in place with masking tape.  Takes about 24 hours to cure through.

Regards - Roddy

Roddy Young
Dunfermline, Fife

1970 Fulvia Sport S1 1.3S
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 27 February, 2013, 12:16:12 AM »

Many years ago when I had some bodywork on my Gamma, I decided not to screw-on but to glue the side stainless steel mouldings. So I filled the screw holes and then used double sided sticky tape to fit the mouldings. It turned out to be a mistake though as water would rest on top of the moulding, soak into the double sided tape and eventually start rusting the bodywork and create mould and even grow moss on top of the square-edged stainless moulding. I'm not familiar with the stainless strips on your Fulvia but I will say that it's an advantage to have a small gap between the stainless strip and the bodywork. Incidentally, when I had my Gamma restored a couple of years ago, I went back to screws for the strips. But I had the correct square holes punched into the panels and used the appropriate plastic inserts to take the screws so hopefully no more rust in that area  Cheesy Perhaps what you need is new clips and ensuring your stainless strips have the correct shape and curvature?
Depends what sort of double sided tape you use, I used the 3m's exterior non porous tape that the motor manufacturers use for fixing badges, antibump strips and mouldings, nearly 10 years down the road there's no sign of a problem.
brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
peteracs
Administrator
Rebel Poster

« Reply #7 on: 27 February, 2013, 07:51:31 AM »

Hi Brian

Do you know the name of the tape used?

Thanks

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 27 February, 2013, 10:25:52 AM »

Hi Brian

Do you know the name of the tape used?

Thanks

Peter
Peter,
I no longer have the box for the 3m's tape but I've also used another by Wurth to stick badges on, the part number on the box is Art-Nr. 0894 9101, also says Contenu- Indhold 10 m
doesn't appear to be anything on the box in English.

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
HF_Dave
Megaposter

Rust , What Rust !! I don't See any rust !!!

« Reply #9 on: 28 February, 2013, 09:40:55 PM »

I am in the business of fixing trims in the construction industry, one of the best ways of fixing the trims and in budget way is to buy a tube of Tec 7 , this is a poylurethane  (I think that's how its spelt) mastic that sticks to anything. Also there is another product from Evode (evostick) called 007 "Bonds anything" get it!! very clever use of words, it sets in about 8 hours. Put the mastic on the back of the trim and tape the trim in place, Or you can fill the back of the trim with the mastic and let it set then use double sided tape to fix it in place 3M make various types of tape but you will see the black tape behind the trim. I think the best is 007 (clear) and  masking tape to hold it in place until it sets as the 3m tape will be hard to line up on the first and only go. I used this on my HF about 5yrs ago and the trims are still well stuck. Thanks David. Cool
« Last Edit: 28 February, 2013, 09:47:18 PM by HF_Dave » Logged

My Current Cars:

1991 Thema station wagon
1989 Thema 16v
2011 Lancia Delta 3

1977 Beta sedan 2000
1975 Fulvia S3 1.3
1973 Flavia HF 2000 Coupe
1972 Fulvia S2 1.3
1989 Thema 8.32
**Other Makes**
2018 Alfa Giulia
1999 Alfa 156
2009 Fiat Du
andyc
Lapsed

« Reply #10 on: 28 February, 2013, 11:52:19 PM »

Sikaflex is good stuff as it's what they use to bond windscreens in with, Roddy will agree once it's on it ain't coming off without a fight!

Andy
peteracs
Administrator
Rebel Poster

« Reply #11 on: 01 March, 2013, 12:59:39 PM »

Hi

Thanks Brian et al, food for thought....

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd