Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 03:36:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Italian drive-shafts  (Read 2920 times)
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« on: 07 June, 2012, 05:36:25 PM »

There have been some recent posts about the original Italian drive-shafts and how superior these are to the more common Hardy-Spicer substitutes.

I have just been sent this amazing photograph by Grant Gibson who has agreed that I can share it with you. Grant is a Aprilia guru and perfectionist of long standing and it is through him and his cars that I relive most of my Aprilia fantasies. Grant took this photo prior to reassembly using all new nuts, bolts and replaceable bearings.

Note the telescopic action is though ball bearings sliding in grooves – nine balls to each of six grooves I think. The idea is I believe that they won’t lock-up under torque unlike the plain splines of other designs. All very clever and all very expensive to manufacture – again indicative of Lancia’s no-compromise approach.

Colin

* Aprilia drive shafts a.jpg (555.87 KB, 1181x886 - viewed 385 times.)
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 07 June, 2012, 05:54:52 PM »

A sight for sore eyes Colin, how to do it correctly, no expense spared.

P

Frank Gallagher
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 08 June, 2012, 08:11:42 AM »

Beautiful engineering Colin. Thanks for the photo. It makes the Aurelia drive shafts look very basic.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 09 June, 2012, 10:40:41 AM »

I fitted new needle roller bearings into my Italian shafts with no problems at all, they were a standard size.  The splines do not appear to wear.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd