Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 10:24:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aprilia: Inside Door Handles Poll  (Read 8458 times)
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« on: 07 June, 2012, 02:58:54 PM »

Handles without the splined shaft could be supplied ready for fitment of the (old) shaft by yourself.

I understand that reasonable cost is a big consideration, and could influence your choice in the poll, but we have to start somewhere!  Roll Eyes

Assume that reasonable cost will be a given!  Grin

Thanks & regards,
« Last Edit: 15 September, 2012, 08:54:04 AM by St Volumex » Logged

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 07 June, 2012, 04:26:53 PM »

Hi
I have voted !

I have said SS with splines because I think these will be strong, durable and look good
Second choice would be bronze, chromed with splines - most like original but I suspect the most expensive and once chromed could not be fettled ! That is to say that you could not ease the collar/circlip arrangement if required. The ss or alu  options lend themselves to a certain amount of fitting
Third choice would be alu with splines

I think retrofitting splines could be a real pain !

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #2 on: 08 June, 2012, 07:07:51 AM »

Simon, are you trying to influence the voters?  Wink  Grin

Guy McDougall
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 09 June, 2012, 10:39:11 AM »

Difficult, the originals were chromed not aluminium so I suppose the best option would be finished and chromed with optional splines for them as has them and new splines for them as has not.  Finished aluminium would be the next best option and I suspect significantly cheaper than plated bronze (?).  Fitting the splines to bronze is easy (solder) and in aluminium I would use Araldite.  I fitted my round splines into square holes in substitute door handles with plastic steel.  So far, so good.
Just to confuse matters!

Window winders have integral splines of course and I guess aluminium would be OK if that is good enough for Gussies.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #4 on: 09 June, 2012, 10:44:32 AM »

Thank you David W for those valuable insights.

I have several strong opinions on the subject too, but am going to 'sit on the fence' until the poll has closed. (I don't know if my derriere can stand the wait though.)  Grin

Guy McDougall
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #5 on: 12 June, 2012, 05:20:16 PM »

Please get anyone you know who has an Aprilia and needs door handles to take part in this poll.

If they are not on the LMC Forum then get them to send me an email please.

Thanks,

Guy McDougall
MichaelElsom

« Reply #6 on: 25 June, 2012, 07:52:21 PM »

Although I haven't contributed so far, when I can do some counting I will be interested. Preference is for a finished item which will go straight on - and in the lightest material excluding aluminium.
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #7 on: 26 June, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »

Thank you Michael!

Guy McDougall
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #8 on: 27 June, 2012, 07:40:51 PM »

I think the poll has revealed as much as we can expect for the moment, so let's move right along:

I'm a purist when it comes to authenticity, but also a realist that sees room for improvement, or we wouldn't be making new door handles in the first place!

I've spoken to my foundrymen over the past weeks, and while it is possible to make the handles in stainless steel, they would be more expensive as that would require a different furnace process.

With reasonable pricing in mind, my first vote would be for an original-style bronze handle, finished and chrome plated, yet better that the original, with the option of ordering it with, or without a new splined shaft.

Second choice is as above, but made in stainless steel.

I hope to report back next week with ballpark pricing on both these options which should narrow our choices down a bit more.

Regards,

Guy McDougall
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #9 on: 05 August, 2012, 05:56:59 PM »

I often say about Lancia restoration; "If this were simple, every Tom, Dick, & Harry would be doing it!"

Things have slipped a bit (interrupted by a mini-holiday, long weekend in the Magaliesberg), but more seriously, the foundry I will be using for this and other projects has not quoted yet on firm pricing.   Sad

However, although I'm an oldish Engineer, I learned a great deal about the niceties of mould making, casting, and in particular the dangers of running an induction furnace which one needs to cast stainless steel.  Shocked

Three most interesting facts emerged:

1. That we should cast the handle WITHOUT the splined shaft, because of interaction between it and the molten metal, and the complications it would introduce when making a modest quantity of about 24 handles (the optimium quantity for economy) at a time. (The splined shaft would be epoxied in afterward, giving a much stronger bond.)

2. That some foundries can make a good steel handle cheaper than the cost of a bronze one plus chrome plating - the plating adding another complication to production.

3. That a stainless steel handle would be only marginally more expensive that an 'ordinary' steel one.

So I've modified the poll, which in essence asks, "If you could choose between a bronze handle and a stainless steel one for the same price, which one would it be?"
« Last Edit: 05 August, 2012, 06:03:43 PM by St Volumex » Logged

Guy McDougall
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 09 August, 2012, 01:17:58 PM »

Would the splines be supplied ? Would you glue them or would that be down to us ? Would the backplates and circlips be supplied/fitted ? So many questions .......

Will vote once I know
Many thanks
S

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #11 on: 10 August, 2012, 04:25:33 AM »

Would the splines be supplied ? Would you glue them or would that be down to us ? Would the backplates and circlips be supplied/fitted ? So many questions .......

Will vote once I know
Many thanks
S

Thanks for that Simon, I was beginning to think the project was dead in the water...  Sad

At this stage I would not be supplying or fitting the splines, backplates, and circlips as I imagine most Aprilia owners would already have them?

But as always, if there is sufficient interest and economies of scale, then that is another story....

Please submit any other questions you may have.

Many thanks,
« Last Edit: 10 August, 2012, 04:27:34 AM by St Volumex » Logged

Guy McDougall
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 11 August, 2012, 01:40:35 PM »

Thanks
Back to earlier comments, I am most tempted by the stainless handles because they can be fettled without affecting the finish - ie if the circlip groove needs to be modified (for rechromed backplates etc).

Final questions - would they be polished ? Would they be drilled/cast with the spline hole in place ?

Still very interested in 4 at £70 each especially if polished !

St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #13 on: 12 August, 2012, 07:21:02 AM »

Thanks
Back to earlier comments, I am most tempted by the stainless handles because they can be fettled without affecting the finish - ie if the circlip groove needs to be modified (for rechromed backplates etc).

Final questions - would they be polished ? Would they be drilled/cast with the spline hole in place ?

Still very interested in 4 at £70 each especially if polished !

Another good point Simon! They would be polished, and cast with the spline hole in place.  Smiley

Guy McDougall
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 12 August, 2012, 03:11:33 PM »

I'll vote for SS door handles and glue in my own splines having melted or chipped them out of the  old handles.  On the other hand, the splines are integral to the window winder handles and would need to be cast in situ.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd