Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 07:30:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally home  (Read 34551 times)
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #45 on: 16 May, 2012, 06:13:16 PM »

That sounds like good news - well done! Where did you get the new cap from?

Colin
kernow
Lapsed

« Reply #46 on: 16 May, 2012, 06:17:07 PM »

Ordered it from Omicron. Under a fiver, thought it was worth a shot.

Chris

1971 Fulvia Sport
kernow
Lapsed

« Reply #47 on: 20 May, 2012, 09:12:41 AM »

Had two long runs along country lanes yesterday and all appears well - no more venting and coolant level remains constant. Noticed the temp creeping up when I hit a little slow moving traffic on the A30 - maybe 190ish. Looking at the fan I see it basically cools half the radiator - anyone fitted an auxiliary Kenlow fan?

Fitted a new battery and it now cranks much better and starts on the button, though still reluctant when cold after being stood for a few days.

Oil pressure seems a little better for running a bit - 50 for the first ten minutes, but then seems to drop to about 40 when hot. Thinking of trying a thicker oil - 10 40 in there at the moment.

Ticking things off the list! Thanks for all the input and suggestions. Smiley

Cheers

Chris

1971 Fulvia Sport
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #48 on: 20 May, 2012, 12:37:35 PM »

Cranking when cold after standing for a few days is due to fuel delay to carbs. Common fit is to fit an inline solid state electric fuel pump to prime then start....

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #49 on: 20 May, 2012, 04:19:32 PM »

Had two long runs along country lanes yesterday and all appears well - no more venting and coolant level remains constant. Noticed the temp creeping up when I hit a little slow moving traffic on the A30 - maybe 190ish. Looking at the fan I see it basically cools half the radiator - anyone fitted an auxiliary Kenlow fan?

Fitted a new battery and it now cranks much better and starts on the button, though still reluctant when cold after being stood for a few days.

Oil pressure seems a little better for running a bit - 50 for the first ten minutes, but then seems to drop to about 40 when hot. Thinking of trying a thicker oil - 10 40 in there at the moment.

Ticking things off the list! Thanks for all the input and suggestions. Smiley

Cheers

Chris
Chris,
if everythiong is ok you shouldn't need to fit an electric fan for cooling purposes, others have done so for a decrease in fan noise, but personally I like the mechanical fan set up as a piece of art!

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #50 on: 20 May, 2012, 08:53:57 PM »

I long since junked the mechanical fuel pump in exchange for an electric one.    Series II has electric fan as standard (or, at least, my two have).  Oil is for lubrication and cooling, if it does that the absolute pressure is less important.  Putting in thicker oil to raise the pressure does not help lubrication or cooling!  I use 10-40 semisynthetic in all my cars, changed every 5.000 miles or so and it does very well indeed thankyou.    Modern oils are so much better than the old mineral oils that one expects a modern engine to go 200,000 miles without significant wear.  This is down to the improvement in the oil, not in the engines.  In any case 40psi hot is just fine.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
kernow
Lapsed

« Reply #51 on: 21 May, 2012, 02:39:01 PM »

OK, so no need for thicker oil or aux fan. I have a feeling the engine running a bit hotter may be causing the reduced pressure maybe? For the first ten minutes after the engine warms up it seems a strong 50, but drops as the temp creeps up towards 180 to 190ish. To me that seems a bit high?

I'm going to try and do a reverse flush as Andrea recommends. Will also tackle the thermostat when I get a chance.

Cheers

Chris

1971 Fulvia Sport
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #52 on: 21 May, 2012, 06:48:07 PM »

OK, so no need for thicker oil or aux fan. I have a feeling the engine running a bit hotter may be causing the reduced pressure maybe? For the first ten minutes after the engine warms up it seems a strong 50, but drops as the temp creeps up towards 180 to 190ish. To me that seems a bit high?

I'm going to try and do a reverse flush as Andrea recommends. Will also tackle the thermostat when I get a chance.

Cheers

Chris
Chris, Have you actually checked with a digital hand held thermometer? my 2c used to frighten the life out of me at one time with readings on a climb of over 200f, I bought a digital Thermometer fairly reasonably from Maplins and found that the actual temperature was well within normal limits despite what the gauge was reading, I changed the sender and the problem with the high gauge reading went away, but I always carry the thermometer in glovebox now and just check from time to time.

Brian

Dedra Technical Adviser
kernow
Lapsed

« Reply #53 on: 21 May, 2012, 07:22:15 PM »

Hi Brian,

That's a good idea. Where did you take the reading from?

Cheers

Chris

1971 Fulvia Sport
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #54 on: 21 May, 2012, 10:08:39 PM »

Chris,
 I usually check behind the thermostat, the base of the temperature sender unit mounting the header tank, then from behind the rad core, at the top and the bottom to see what sort of differential,  the heater hoses, and compare these readings to what the gauge is reading.

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #55 on: 29 May, 2012, 10:18:20 AM »

Maplin are currently selling an ir thermometer 1/2 price until 12th June.  Seems to work too.  I shall now get all OCD about measuring temperatures... 
 http://www.maplin.co.uk/infrared-thermometer-with-laser-targeting-223005

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #56 on: 29 May, 2012, 11:41:50 AM »

That's great value...

The cheapie I've seen about paddocks is this one:

http://www.merryprintersuk.co.uk/mh1/MH1home.html

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #57 on: 29 May, 2012, 05:21:20 PM »

Maplin are currently selling an ir thermometer 1/2 price until 12th June.  Seems to work too.  I shall now get all OCD about measuring temperatures... 
 http://www.maplin.co.uk/infrared-thermometer-with-laser-targeting-223005

This is the same one as I bought and for about the same price, I'd certainly recommend it.
Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
kernow
Lapsed

« Reply #58 on: 29 May, 2012, 08:17:01 PM »

There's a Maplins just down the road so I'll nip in tomorrow and pick one up. Thanks for the recommendations. I've run the car a little this week, about 40 minute round trips. Got stuck in a little traffic last week and the fan kicked in straight away and it stayed pretty hot for the return leg, despite a good long run and me popping the heater on. As soon as I reversed back onto the drive the fan was back on. Think the thermostat will certainly have to come out and I'll do another flush while I'm at it.

Cheers

Chris

1971 Fulvia Sport
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #59 on: 29 May, 2012, 09:05:08 PM »

Chris,

I wonder if you are worrying too much about overheating. It’s quite normal for the fan to cut in and out, particularly when stationary or in slow moving traffic and mine does the same. I would only begin to get concerned if the temperature continued to rise when the fan is on.

The position of the radiator in the Fulvia Sport is less than optimum with a large part of it obscured by the headlamp and I think it is to be expected that cooling will be less than brilliant.

Colin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd