Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:07:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aprilia inside door handles  (Read 31799 times)
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #30 on: 12 July, 2012, 05:32:43 PM »

Today I drove 200 Kilometres (there and back) to a boutique foundry out in the bush, where the Foundryman shared some truly fascinating insights into the pros and cons of making these handles in different guises using various materials.  Smiley

More next week when I've completed my Grand Tour.
« Last Edit: 12 July, 2012, 05:55:43 PM by St Volumex » Logged

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #31 on: 13 July, 2012, 03:45:20 AM »

I have discovered that I have 4 examples of the 'rounder' latch as per Simon's post & photograph of May 22nd if these are of any interest to anyone.
2 of them are plated (which needs redoing).
The other 2 are aluminium and on these the square section is slightly tapered.
I also have 1 bolt and another aluminium latch which does not have the square section post however there is a square section hole through this latch. Is it designed to be the female version of one of the others?

I'm interested thanks Chris - sent you a PM.

Guy McDougall
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #32 on: 20 July, 2012, 08:13:48 AM »

I’ve been waiting to make contact with a particular foundry for a few days, and have just finished having a coffee and breakfast with their representative. 

The problem is that the pricing I’ve received so far ranges from the sublime to the ridiculous, but give me until early next week, when I’ll announce ballpark pricing on the Forum.

Regards,

Guy McDougall
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #33 on: 05 August, 2012, 06:08:21 PM »

I often say about Lancia restoration; "If this were simple, every Tom, Dick, & Harry would be doing it!"

Things have slipped a bit (interrupted by a mini-holiday, long weekend in the Magaliesberg), but more seriously, the foundry I will be using for this and other projects has not quoted yet on firm pricing.   

However, although I'm an oldish Engineer, I learned a great deal about the niceties of mould making, casting, and in particular the dangers of running an induction furnace which one needs to cast stainless steel. 

Three most interesting facts emerged:

1. That we should cast the handle WITHOUT the splined shaft, because of interaction between it and the molten metal, and the complications it would introduce when making a modest quantity of about 24 handles (the optimium quantity for economy) at a time. (The splined shaft would be epoxied in afterward, giving a much stronger bond.)

2. That some foundries can make a good steel handle cheaper than the cost of a bronze one plus chrome plating - the plating adding another complication to production.

3. That a stainless steel handle would be only marginally more expensive that an 'ordinary' steel one.

So I've modified the poll, which in essence asks, "If you could choose between a bronze handle and a stainless steel one for the same price, which one would it be?" (See poll on parallel thread.)

Guy McDougall
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #34 on: 15 September, 2012, 09:02:51 AM »

Unfortunately some of the enthusiasm and impetus about this project seems to have dissipated, and I don't even own an Aprilia!  Grin

Although I have quite a few 'bits & bobs', I am still without an inside door handle sample (my source seems to have dried up), without which I can't proceed...  Sad

Any volunteers to help keep the handles turning please?

Guy McDougall
williamcorke
Rebel Poster

B10

« Reply #35 on: 15 September, 2012, 01:41:01 PM »

Might be able to help you - do you have a photo of the exact type you need to borrow and I'll check against what's on my car and in spare parts boxes.

'37 Aprilia
'50 B10
'53 B20
'68 Flavia Vignale
'55 Giulietta Sprint
S1 Land Rover
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #36 on: 15 September, 2012, 02:04:51 PM »

Thank you William, I am much obliged.

Here's the door handle I need.

* Aprilia door handle new.jpg (18.76 KB, 373x237 - viewed 422 times.)

Guy McDougall
williamcorke
Rebel Poster

B10

« Reply #37 on: 15 September, 2012, 07:07:50 PM »

Here's what's on my car (front door, I assume rears are the same).  I didn't remove the retaining plate which is attached to the handle with a circlip.

Looks the same?  Is the one you've posted foreshortened in the photograph, because mine looks more elongated - could be a photographic distortion.  Probably best to provide measurements for both.

It seems to be made of brass, as far as I can tell.

« Last Edit: 15 September, 2012, 07:09:49 PM by williamcorke » Logged

'37 Aprilia
'50 B10
'53 B20
'68 Flavia Vignale
'55 Giulietta Sprint
S1 Land Rover
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #38 on: 16 September, 2012, 08:39:17 AM »

That's the one!

Guy McDougall
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #39 on: 16 September, 2012, 04:15:09 PM »

I have just removed my originals and fitted a set of Appia handles as an interim solution, so can send you something to copy if required.

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #40 on: 16 September, 2012, 05:57:45 PM »

Thank you Simon, that's very generous of you too!

How well do the Appia handles fit, and is the Appia window winder handle also a good substitute?

What I really want to know is, are the winder handle splines (on the Aprilia's door) the same as the Appias? 

If they are, this will solve a few handle manufacturing problems for us too.  Smiley

Guy McDougall
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #41 on: 17 September, 2012, 03:16:36 PM »

The door handles and window winders fit straight on. I had to clean the splines with a fine file, but they push straight on and the screws line up. The back plate on the winder is a shade smaller than an Aprilia one and the winder itself may be a touch shorter, but I will check

The door locking levers do not fit though, the square peg is too short

They look acceptable and work well. I will take a couple of photos later so you can see and make your own minds up !

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #42 on: 18 September, 2012, 05:33:22 PM »

As you can see, they are similar in terms of size and form. You could grind them down to be more alike .....

The Dali-esque picture shows how different the door lock levers are.

* DSCN0590.jpg (773.49 KB, 3482x2610 - viewed 384 times.)

* DSCN0593.jpg (764.15 KB, 3176x2381 - viewed 392 times.)

St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #43 on: 19 September, 2012, 07:11:09 AM »

Thanks Simon for those interesting comparisons! (Love Dali too!)

Now, can anyone show us what the spline looks like INSIDE the handle please?  (I would be reluctant to destroy a perfectly serviceable handle just for a peek.)

Guy McDougall
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #44 on: 19 September, 2012, 04:14:22 PM »

Not quite because I have cemented them into my substitute handles but essentially they are splined tubes of steel cast into the handle.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd