Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 12:50:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LONDON AREA MEETING  (Read 24324 times)
Alan Temple

« Reply #30 on: 15 July, 2012, 04:00:40 PM »

Oh well. Maybe next month.
james
Lapsed

« Reply #31 on: 07 August, 2012, 07:53:54 PM »

Anybody planning to come this Thursday?

We'll be there, and hopefully one of our neighbours who has a rather nice Maserati
coltom

« Reply #32 on: 08 August, 2012, 05:57:36 PM »

Hope to be. Weather looks to be good as well.
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #33 on: 08 August, 2012, 07:43:46 PM »

My Fulvia and I would like to be there, but I have a few crises at home here to worry about, so sorry to say we won’t make it.

Colin
Martin D
Megaposter

« Reply #34 on: 12 September, 2012, 03:05:54 PM »

It's that time again, this Thursday (13th).
The weather looks good.
I'll be there, and as it's probably the last month before winter sets in it would be great to have a good turn out !

Martin.

1972 Fulvia Coupe 1.6 HF
1984 Montecarlo
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #35 on: 13 September, 2012, 09:29:04 PM »

I couldn’t resist Martin’s kind invitation and I thought it would be a great opportunity to cruise round the North Circular and spend a quiet evening in contemplation with my Lancia buddies. Well, it was dusk as I arrived and all the local farm hands had wended their way home and the cattle were safely away for the night. An owl was hooting in the distance as the sun set and I realised that with Harvest Festival almost upon us it was going to be a quiet evening in the snug of the Ace.

And so it was. The local lad who had been recruited to help bring the wagons in, did his job well and put my carriage in prime spot in front of the over-filled yard. There were a few similarly marked carriages there including two known as Integrales, one owned by farmer Colin Dolphin and the other by a visiting hand called Mike. Another one known as a Beta Cabriolet was also witnessed.

There were other younger and bigger beasts lying around in the yard – some were known as Masers and some as Alfas – some looked as if they had been fed on steroids and might not last for long if left out in the open. Their keepers were close by and looked very anxious and protective of their valuable charges. A very pretty little Fiat 850 coupe looked almost out of place among all that brawn.

Sadly, I had to leave at 8:30 to wend my way home along the quiet lanes and to ruminate on what is likely to be the last such gathering for me this year.

Colin      

* IMG_0362a.jpg (235.67 KB, 1181x810 - viewed 426 times.)
« Last Edit: 13 September, 2012, 09:48:27 PM by ColinMarr » Logged
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #36 on: 13 September, 2012, 11:12:01 PM »

I know Martin will groan, but how much better it would be with some decent lighting, then I might be tempted to do the 60 mile round trip again, love the Ace ( remembered from my motorcycling days of my youth when I lived 3 miles away) but can't understand why they don't change the abysmal lighting, considering how many groups meet there.
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #37 on: 14 September, 2012, 09:09:56 AM »

Brian,

The trouble is that if they improve the lighting it would reveal what a ghastly place it really is and, Lancia cars and folk excluded, just how gruesome are the cars and their owners!

And I too have memories of going there in the 1950s usually on the back of a 350cc Gold Star, rich with the aroma of Castrol R. The bikers end of the car park captures something of this, but not the rest.

Colin
Martin D
Megaposter

« Reply #38 on: 14 September, 2012, 11:51:56 AM »

Gents,

Firstly huge apologies for not making it last night, crisis at office so still working at 9pm.

Brian/Colin, you're right, the artificial light isn't perfect but during the summer months there is daylight to look at all the cars. That's partly why I suggested we ease off the 'official' LMC meets during the winter although of course Italian night at the Ace continues for those who wish. When it gets darker, go inside and have a drink and/or a bite to eat, I know it's not fine dining at the Ace but it's still a good venue.

(As an aside, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a Town Planning or Highways issue relating to external light levels in a location like this).

I don't really get this obsession with the lighting and being outside in the dark, I've been going to various LMC meets for 6 years and only once have we stood around in the car park and looked at the cars (and that was when the Alfa boys were there and they seemed to initiate being outside). 

Normally it's everyone inside no matter what cars people have brought. I've always thought it odd that as a car club people don't seem to spend much/any time looking at the cars !!!

Anyway, if anybody's got a better idea ? ...............

And anyone who's reading this thread who hasn't been to the Ace, please come along, it's not as bad as you might think from these comments. There are a reasonable number of people who happily attend regularly.

Martin.

1972 Fulvia Coupe 1.6 HF
1984 Montecarlo
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #39 on: 14 September, 2012, 05:35:26 PM »

Martin,

I am sorry to be negative, but as you know I have never been a fan of the Ace. When the idea of using it as a north London LMC venue I had my doubts and gave a preference for a pub alternative. The pub I suggested then was The White Horse at Shenley/ Radlett, which is just within the M25 boundary.

I have been to quite a few of the Ace meetings, but can’t remember it attracting more than about five LMC members and their cars, which is much less than the real potential for such a wide area. I think the Surrey meetings that I have also been to usually attract ten or more and I think we should do equally as good.

I doubt I would be a more frequent attendee than I have been at the Ace, but for next year can I float the idea of The White Horse for either an evening gathering, or a Sunday lunch-time meeting?

The White Horse is an OK pub and a restaurant too – it has a large car park and is used to hosting car club gatherings – the VSCC have monthly meetings there.

See their website: http://www.whitehorseradlett.co.uk/  . Postcode is WD7 9ER.

It could be worth a try.

Colin
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #40 on: 14 September, 2012, 06:43:24 PM »

Colin,
That would be better for me as it's closer, with the added advantage that I don't have to go right to the end of the M1, and then around the North Circular, so I'd be more likely to get there.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Martin D
Megaposter

« Reply #41 on: 17 September, 2012, 11:52:40 AM »

Colin,

Good idea, I would try to get along to the White Horse when I could. It would be closer to me than any of the other 3 meets I regularly attend so easier from that perspective although fitting in a fourth meet would not be easy.
Sunday lunch would probably be better especially during the winter. When would you plan to organise the first one ?

As for it being a replacement for the Ace, well it's the 'London' region not 'North London' and your pub is in Herts, (a Watford postcode). Even if the M25 defined the London boundary (and I don't think it does) I believe we need to be further into London to be fair and appeal to London Lancisti residents/workers.

When Mark and I resurrected the London region we particularly chose Italian night at the Ace to get away from the "3 blokes in an empty pub" scenario. At least there are other Italian cars, people and Italian things going on, I've already met 2 non-LMC Lancisti who attend regularly because it's Italian night so they wouldn't have been at a pub based LMC meeting.

There are a few people who regularly attend and enjoy the mix that the Ace provides, numbers vary between 3 or 4 up to maybe 7 or 8 sometimes so come on guys, please don't let this thread become an Ace bashing one, we're trying to build it up not put people off because it may not particularly be your cup of tea.

Martin Dowling.

1972 Fulvia Coupe 1.6 HF
1984 Montecarlo
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #42 on: 19 September, 2012, 08:00:40 PM »

Martin,

Thanks for your words of support for the idea of the White Horse as a venue. I too think that Sunday lunch might be a preferred option.

I had quite forgotten that the Ace was supposed to be a venue for all London. I guess I might have been influenced to think it was ‘north’ if only because my impression is that the only member I have met there who actually came from south of the A 406 (other than me) is Mark, and I guess he is barely a mile or so south of it.

I looked back at my earlier posts on the Ace and I see that at first I was very positive about it (partly to encourage others), but it seems to me not to have lived up to expectations. I think the numbers you quote are derisory, but are perhaps indicative of a club that has lost its charm for local meetings. Such meetings were once the focal point for LMC members.

It would be great if there were a more central venue to attract all-London members. Ally Pally once did this about 12 years ago when maybe 30 members and cars used to attend. Sadly, this venue is no longer an option and I can’t think of a practical alternative more centrally.

At least the White Horse on a Sunday lunchtime might be attractive to north Londoners and others within a ten mile radius. You ask: “When would you plan to organise the first one?” Well, I don’t think it takes much by way of organising – let me contact the pub and find out which Sunday might be OK for them. Then, in say April next year it can be announced on the Forum and in VL! as an additional option to the Ace. It would be up to members to turn up, as they used to and it might just work.

Colin
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #43 on: 19 September, 2012, 08:13:20 PM »

We still enjoy our local meeting here in the Vale of Evesham.

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
appiaman

« Reply #44 on: 28 September, 2012, 05:28:14 AM »

Hi could I make a suggestions.
We have a fabulous old style Italian restaurant in Uxbridge why not meet once a month for lunch it has a huge car park cheap great food and is a lot nicer. The owner is big into cars too.

Lancia lambda 8th series, Fulvia 1600 sport (1972)Fulvia1.6hf (1972), Lancia Flaminia gtl, Porsche boxter, Mini Cooper
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd