Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 07:39:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St Patrick's Chop Shop  (Read 5419 times)
LanciAlan
Megaposter

« on: 22 March, 2012, 10:05:30 PM »

Not to be outdone (even if outclassed) by the industry and skill of our Welsh neighbours in the restoration and repair of Lancias, the Irish contingent set about celebrating the recent national festive weekend in a similar, if somewhat opposite, fashion.....

As it is a general condition of the planning permission for my Lancia shed (and also a marital constraint) that all the Lancias and stuff must happen on the inside of the shed which is already quite crowded ...

... it was necessary to make room for a recent new arrival. This one is what we call a "swimmer" - LHD, no papers or plates, etc. It was reportedly surrendered by its Italian lady owner to a reputable Fiat dealership in exchange for something more modern in the Irish-Italian line. As it was obviously tarnishing the dealer's reputation and lowering the tone of the forecourt it was quickly shipped out the back gate into the willing hands of the Lancia underworld community. Apparently the first Irish owner was accosted by the law on his maiden voyage home from the Fiat dealership and so it became necessary to prove it was not his car by quickly offloading it within the Lancia brotherhood ... and for the price of a set of part-worn tyres, how could I refuse?

I have some experience of making space for more Lancias - the Fessia design means there really isn't much going on aft of the dashboard .... so if full dismantling isn't necessary (dismantled cars take up even more space than whole ones!) it makes sense to keep the main bits intact until needed. This was actually my first Lancia in 1984 and in our family since 1978. I've never turned the key on one of these 2-wheelies but I wonder if you did ....

Anyhow, work started on something more "angular" that was already lying around outside the shed. Dismantling cars to re-cycling standards like is no joke - it took me two days to take this Y10 apart before I could start chopping up the carcase ... easier and cheaper to just give it away whole but I wanted (some) of the parts.

Here's the back end of that red Fulvia I chopped up before and there are a few bits of other cars on top of the pile - I flattened the Fulvia sections with a digger.

And finally to the subject of today's main chopping event ... in my enthusiasm I forgot to take a "before" picture. This 2000 Coupe is called Barney 'cos that's where he spent most of his time while in my ownership. Bought sight-unseen on eBay from a character in Sutton-in-Ashfield (never forget it) near Nottingham, I got a bit of a shock when I turned up to collect it. I had already been let down by the main purpose of the trip to the UK which was to collect another equally bad eBay purchase - a decrepit car transporter dolly from somewhere near Southampton. I really only bought Barney in Nottingham as a Lancia to bring home to justify the nonsense of the trip and ferry cost of collecting the dolly in the first place.

Like I said, I have some experience of this. Just pull the wiring loom through from the boot and you're ready to go (removing roof  gutters and door sill trims is optional). Cut the exhaust - in this case, just aft of the very long manifold pipe thing which extends further back than the gearlever -  then pick your line of least resistance to cut the floor. I leave the roof and a few bits of floor in place 'til last so the thing doesn't collapse while cutting..... then just "support, lift and separate"

At this stage I had an idea .... isn't this how they make limos? Just lengthen and strengthen the sills ....

Then add a new floor and a few comfy seats ....

... wasn't there a name for those early 1900s cars where the owners sat inside a saloon and the driver sat out in the rain? Later I had another idea .... maybe a bi-motore limo?

But soon it was time to tidy up the tools and put all the Lancias back to bed inside the shed. Losing 9 feet off the back of this car at the back door made enough room to let the new arrival in the front!

« Last Edit: 24 March, 2012, 09:10:38 AM by LanciAlan » Logged

Alan Murphy

Lancias that begin with "F" ... and affordable variants beginning with "Z" and "P" ..... and now with added "Y"!
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 22 March, 2012, 11:05:09 PM »

Alan................am flabbergasted............but in an innocent, polite way.......needless to say St Patrick would turn in his grave at such shenanigans!

P

PS What did St Patrick say to the snakes as he was driving them out of Ireland?

"Are you alright in the back there......?"

Grin

Frank Gallagher
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 23 March, 2012, 02:45:04 PM »

Am wondering if you could use the back ends with horses...

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
vigzag

« Reply #3 on: 23 March, 2012, 05:05:41 PM »

More Flavias suffering a similar fate:-

First picture was an 1800 injection coupe

Other pictures are of an 1800 Sport

* IMG_0462-Optimized.JPG (158.58 KB, 1200x900 - viewed 395 times.)

* IMG_0085-Optimized.JPG (195.43 KB, 1200x900 - viewed 367 times.)

* IMG_0086-Optimized.JPG (189.91 KB, 1200x900 - viewed 388 times.)

* IMG_0088-Optimized.JPG (210.7 KB, 1200x900 - viewed 378 times.)

Current cars:-

1964 Flavia 1800 coupe
1966 Flavia 1800 convertible
1968 Flavia 1800 convertible
1964 Flavia 1800 Sport
1965 Flavia 1800 Sport
1966 Flavia 1800 Sport
1967 Flavia 1800 Sport
1974 2000HF
1966 Transit V4 van
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 23 March, 2012, 05:18:17 PM »

Alan,
Hope the police don't have you down as a cut & shut merchant with all these half cars Shocked

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 23 March, 2012, 08:30:03 PM »

I just want to cry ...........

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
LanciAlan
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 24 March, 2012, 09:14:31 AM »

Am wondering if you could use the back ends with horses...

David

Funny you should say that, I don't have a horse but I had the kids lined up for that job -rickshaw style - and just didn't get around to taking the photo

Alan Murphy

Lancias that begin with "F" ... and affordable variants beginning with "Z" and "P" ..... and now with added "Y"!
HF_Dave
Megaposter

Rust , What Rust !! I don't See any rust !!!

« Reply #7 on: 28 March, 2012, 09:30:40 PM »

I think that's the first Landau bodied Flavia Grin

My Current Cars:

1991 Thema station wagon
1989 Thema 16v
2011 Lancia Delta 3

1977 Beta sedan 2000
1975 Fulvia S3 1.3
1973 Flavia HF 2000 Coupe
1972 Fulvia S2 1.3
1989 Thema 8.32
**Other Makes**