Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:41:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heavy HF steering - upper ball joint failure  (Read 2555 times)
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« on: 19 March, 2012, 02:53:35 PM »

I have always been used to my HF having heavy steering but over the last 2-3 years I though I needed to start thinking about Gym membership as the effort to turn the steering wheel at low speed was getting almost difficult.

Well this year my MOT man cautioned the upper ball joint boots for being split (note post April 2012 this is a failure).

Being diligent I dismantled the offside upper ball joint to replace the boot (yes you can still get these with difficulty), only to find that the upper joint had collapsed into its housing. The nearside joint had done the same! Shocked

After fitting 2 new joints and reassembled I went out for a test and could not believe how the had been transformed. Grin

I looked back at my records as I was sure I had fitted new joints when I rebuilt the car in 2006. And I had Huh? so the previous set had lasted somewhat less than 10,000 miles.

Anyone else had the same? I wonder how long the current Frap joints will last? (Frap or Xrap??)

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 19 March, 2012, 05:14:41 PM »

I am pretty sure I can remember a similar story from the 70's when a S1 Fanalone owner (Eddie Gee rings a bell but I may be wrong?) went over a hump backed bridge reasonably quickly and found he had little or no steering when he hit the ground.....because a ball joint had come apart in the air!! The car was written off.
Beware!
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
16HFS

« Reply #2 on: 22 March, 2012, 12:53:44 PM »

Eddie Gee's old Fanalone is sitting in my workshop, its original and never been written off so it can't be that one. It did spend alot of its competition days in the air though. 
Pete.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd