Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 03:08:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: dynamo?  (Read 7762 times)
richgoldfinch

« on: 29 February, 2012, 11:02:02 PM »

Hi

Please could I have some advice.  I haven't owned my Fulvia for too long and its the first car I've had with a dynamo.  When you take your foot of the gas, the headlights go dim and the indicators slow down to almost a stop.  The battery is in good condition and fully charged so I was wondering is this was normal behaviour or if anyone had any ideas what I should investigate?

thanks
Rich
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 01 March, 2012, 06:47:07 AM »

Could be a faulty voltage regulator? If not the dynamo itself.

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 01 March, 2012, 07:08:38 AM »

Drive belt tension Huh???  It could be as simple as that !!  I was caught by this not so long ago.

Good luck,

Andy
mister bridger
Lapsed

« Reply #3 on: 01 March, 2012, 08:12:45 AM »

My last s1 with dynamo was like that and so is the mk1 Mini I have now. I've always just lived with it and kept the throttle down a bit when signalling at junctions!
John Simister
Lapsed

« Reply #4 on: 01 March, 2012, 10:49:22 AM »

You could try a new flasher unit for the indicators. I think modern ones use solid-state circuitry rather than a bimetallic strip, so they keep flashing when the voltage drops. My Saab two-stroke, with dynamo, suffered the same problem as your Fulvia, and even when the engine was running at speed I'd have to move the indicator stalk about five seconds earlier than normal to make sure the indicators were actually indicating by the time I needed them. A new flasher unit cured all that and all now works perfectly.

Hope that helps.

John
roddy

« Reply #5 on: 01 March, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »

Sounds as if your system is probably okay?  We are so used to alternators now-a-days that charge from just a few revs above idling speed, that we forget that a dynamo has to be driven at almost 1800 - 2000rpm engine speed before the circuits have closed and current is being produced.  Our S1 Fulvia indicators slow significantly as the engine drops down to idle speed, even more so if the brake lights are on! Imagine what it is like with headlights on;  and forget about wipers and heater - switch them off.  In the days of motoring with a dynamo, you switched headlights off when you sat at traffic lights, to stop the battery discharging.  I think if you have headlights on (particularly main beams), plus wipers and the heater motor, the Fulvia dynamo will not produce sufficient current and there could be a faint glow from the warning light on the dash. (Hence the S1 cars do not have heated rear screens).

Regards - Roddy

Roddy Young
Dunfermline, Fife

1970 Fulvia Sport S1 1.3S
Scott
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 02 March, 2012, 08:40:25 AM »

A little off topic but I noticed a company in a classic car magazine recently that does what they call a 'dynator'. It is essentially an alternator but 'disguised' as a dynamo. This allows owners of cars with dynamos have the benefit of an alternator whilst keeping the look of originality which a lot of owners want.

peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #7 on: 02 March, 2012, 09:29:25 AM »

Contact Michael Hadley at Powerlite. they are based in Birmingham 01384261984

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 02 March, 2012, 03:40:39 PM »

You'll no doubt need to take deep pockets with you if it's anything like the cost of the ones for triumph TR's!
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
ben
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #9 on: 02 March, 2012, 04:12:53 PM »

Your first check should be to compare the poor headlamp and flasher performance that you describe when the engine revs drop with the performance with the engine not running and switched off.If the battery really is ok the flashers should work even with the headlights on.If they dont you have some connections that need cleaning.Look for something getting warm. If the headlight issue is not a major then maybe a modern flasher is all you need.
If everything works ok with this test the implication is that the cut-out in the regulator isnt doing its stuff and you are getting a big current loss back through the dynamo when the revs drop.Take it to an auto electrician who is old enough to know what a dynamo is!!
My bet is dirty connections however.Start with the main battery ones and the feeds from there back into the rest of the system.
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 02 March, 2012, 05:06:23 PM »

A little off topic but I noticed a company in a classic car magazine recently that does what they call a 'dynator'. It is essentially an alternator but 'disguised' as a dynamo. This allows owners of cars with dynamos have the benefit of an alternator whilst keeping the look of originality which a lot of owners want.

One of these......only one listed for a Lancia?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PowerLite-Dynalite-Lancia-Aurelia-Dynamo-Alternator-/290577134934?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a7bf3556

Full list of what hes selling via ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=Powerlite+dynamo&_sacat=0&_odkw=Powerlite&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

P

Frank Gallagher
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 02 March, 2012, 05:10:05 PM »

http://www.powerlite-units.co.uk/dynalite.htm

P

Frank Gallagher
richgoldfinch

« Reply #12 on: 07 March, 2012, 10:35:42 PM »

Thanks for all the advice.  Its definitely the same whether the engine is ticking over or switched off  - everything works but the indicators slow and the lights dim.  I tried powerlite - they dont do off the shelf for fulvias but they will consider one offs if I can afford  Smiley

fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 07 March, 2012, 11:29:12 PM »

Thanks for all the advice.  Its definitely the same whether the engine is ticking over or switched off  - everything works but the indicators slow and the lights dim.  I tried powerlite - they dont do off the shelf for fulvias but they will consider one offs if I can afford  Smiley

I've been running my 2c with a dynamo since 1999 and my 1.3 Rallye Coupe for about 3 years before that with no problems whatsoever, and I've never felt the need to change to an alternator, I think every car I ran up until the 1970's? was fitted with a dynamo and the only problems I recall was changing a couple of set of brushes, dead easy as the lead terminal tags were held by screws, and a bearing on the front plate, as long as you kept everything cleaned and looked after such as using a hacksaw blade to clean the commutator and a drop or two of thin oil in the bearings dynamos were fine, the only downside was having to be selective about how many electrical items you had on at the same time, but that was second nature, and you switched things on & off as necessary.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 08 March, 2012, 09:27:47 AM »

as before weak indicators you should use an electronic relay instead of the tin can variety....

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator