Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:07:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old correspondence  (Read 13294 times)
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« on: 18 February, 2012, 02:04:21 PM »

I was sure I had an old 2nd series instruction manual for the Aprilia from my YRV 700 days,and so went looking in dusty cardboard boxes that have been following me around for years. Fortunately I found a very serviceable original handbook along with a tatty first series handbook and an original English translation ! - I knew I was a hoarder

All of the above are well known and available, so not that interesting. However, I also found some fascinating correspondence written by Aprilia Guru, Norman Wilson to Louis Lorenzini, a professional racing driver based near Manchester. We bought YRV 700, a second series Aprilia, from Louis in about 1975 or '76. The letters date from 1972-4 and concern various racing mods to Aprilias.

They include high lift cams, big-end mods, converting 5 hole BRM wheels and a 4 into 1 "bunch of bananas" exhaust manifold.

It may be interesting to some people to read these letters but I am not sure about copyright or other such issues ! Also Norman was quite forthright about some members of the club who felt that Lancias should not be used in competition.Indeed saying in one letter, that he would leave them to their "sandwiches were produced by Pat and the beer was frothy" - kind of motoring

I would like to post excerpts from some of these letters, if anyone is interested and I am not infringing any copyright/sensitivity issues

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 18 February, 2012, 02:48:55 PM »

Simon,

I am sure you are not infringing anything of any consequence. I would very much like to see whatever you have got and would encourage you to post some scans here.

I remember Norman Wilson and his Sherringham based Aprilia exploits and I agree with his views about the attitudes of some members!

Colin
ben
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 18 February, 2012, 06:52:33 PM »

I also would be most interested to see what Norman was thinking and doing back then.
I was at a bike race meeting with some friends at Snetterton some years ago and drove over to Sherringham on the off-chance of meeting him. Unfortunately he was out but it was obvious I was at the right house as the garden was full of Aprilias. There were also several Citroen GS saloons which he had graduated to by that time.
His "bunch of bananas" exhaust was described by him in an article in the Aprilia edition of the club journal about 40+ years ago.
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 18 February, 2012, 09:06:42 PM »

I think there were earlier posts on this forum about Norman Wilson and his Aprilia exploits, and his links with Raymond Mayes and BRM. Here is a photo that I think I have posted before – it’s Norman at Shelsley Walsh in his Aprilia with BRM rear wheels.

Wouldn’t it be great to wind the clock back a few decades and live it all again?

Colin 

* NWAprilia.jpg (439.64 KB, 1674x1438 - viewed 443 times.)
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 18 February, 2012, 09:14:48 PM »

I am trying to scan the letters so that the files are small enough to post on the forum and still be legible ! Please bear with me ....

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 18 February, 2012, 11:20:46 PM »

I am trying to scan the letters so that the files are small enough to post on the forum and still be legible ! Please bear with me ....

Haven't tried it myself yet but this may help.
http://free.mailbigfile.com/

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 19 February, 2012, 05:22:35 PM »

Simon, if you can't get them small enough then you can always send them to myself or Chris Hopkins (librarian) and they can into the library where they can be downloaded by members.
Steve

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 19 February, 2012, 11:02:34 PM »

This is in an odd format - perhaps it was an OCR from the journal or something.  Spring 1973.

I also found some notes from Richard Rose reporting how he could cruise at an easy 80mph, for all the saga of his engine rebuild was anything but.

David

* NormanWilsonAprilia[1].doc (486 KB - downloaded 730 times.)

David Laver, Lewisham.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 19 February, 2012, 11:21:56 PM »

David/All

Was really interested to read (well scan read as will digest later) that Norman Wilson's Aprilia revs to 6300 in second some 2000 rpm above the manual maximums.

I fitted a small 0-8000 rpm meter to OVS to prevent over revving and to "calibrate" the speedometer.

OVS revs very freely and I was wondering about raising the red line of 4250 (79mph in 4th)Huh?

Tim
« Last Edit: 19 February, 2012, 11:27:47 PM by lancialulu » Logged

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 20 February, 2012, 08:48:26 AM »

David

I think you must have taken copies of the letters when you bought the Aurelia ! Unfortunately trying to open the document crashed my computer so I can't be sure (they must be in an odd format because it takes a lot to crash a mac) !

I will still try and scan the letters here or as suggested earlier, send them to Steve or Chris to make them available to all, because I think they are quite interesting.

Simon

ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 20 February, 2012, 09:24:48 AM »

David,

Thanks for posting up the Norman Wilson article. Yes, it’s from the LMC Journal of Spring 1973 and is an OCR scan, which I think I sent you in February 2008. I think the idea was to inspire you to get on with the rebuild of your Aprilia engine for your Augusta special project!

Colin
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 20 February, 2012, 09:30:12 AM »

Simon,

Can I encourage you to scan whatever you can and post them up here as well as send copies to Chris and Steve? I know that some people still find access to the LMC library online a bit tricky and it would be good to know what you are adding to it.

Carry on enjoying R4s too!

Colin
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 20 February, 2012, 10:59:02 AM »

I hope this works !

For me, the most interesting section of this letter starts from the final paragraph on the first page and discusses the mods that Norman used including a different carb, 4 branch exhaust and his ideas about changing the size of the rear wheels in order to change the gearing.

As for an Aprilia engine revving to 6,300 rpm without protesting !

Having never driven up Prescott in anger I do not know if 69 secs is quick for a 1300 Aprilia and his comments about Aprilias being sought after in the future is becoming true ......

Later letters discuss Mille Miglia camshafts and balancing the crankshaft amongst other things.

* letter 1 p1.pdf (397.67 KB - downloaded 320 times.)
* letter 1 p2.pdf (516.16 KB - downloaded 326 times.)

ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 21 February, 2012, 07:44:13 PM »

Simon,

Thanks for posting Norman Wilson’s letter – fantastic stuff and so evocative of the time and the man. I have huge admiration for Norman and what he did with Aprilias, but I want to comment on some of the things in the letter:

Norman refers to having only a standard camshaft to work with. At about the same time, early 1970s Roger Perry bought a Nardi camshaft from Harry Manning and I remember Roger saying that Harry had several on the shelf that he had owned for years, but nobody seemed to ask him for them!

I am sure Norman did well with his engine, but getting more than 6000 rpm from an Aprilia engine takes some believing!

To do Prescott in 69 seconds in a four-door saloon is impressive. Looking at recent VSCC times up the hill I find examples in the lower 60s with sports-cars such as Singer Le Mans, MG C Type, Bentley 3 litre and A7 Ulster TT. I think his times were good.

I was sorry to see his references to “those who hold the reins” at the LMC Journal. I can peer though the paper stickers and can read the names he mentions, one of whom is still with us although not a contributor to this forum and the other is John Maltby. I knew both of them well and cannot believe what Norman says of their sneering and “non-U” view of him for using an Aprilia in competition. I think Norman must have had an uncharacteristic run-in with these guys because at the same time as he is writing both Dave Scheldt and Bob Gale (how non-U can you get?) were using Aprilias in circuit racing – all of which was encouraged and helped by John Maltby.

The “sandwiches and beer” comment is also unworthy if it was intended as it seems to apply to these names. I could imagine that John Maltby might have made such a remark, but it would have been in the context of having just returned from a 2000 mile round trip in a Lambda with a cylinder head gasket change in a lay-by, or some heroic winter trip to Carlisle to tow a broken B20 back to London using his Aprilia on a very short tow rope. The dismissive comment could have been applied to many, but not these two!

Hey ho for the heroes of yesteryear,

Colin     
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 21 February, 2012, 08:23:25 PM »

I was always led to believe that you couldn't over rev an Aprilia in top gear. John Maltby's "GT" Aprilia, NGP 50, subsequently owned by Roger Perry, had at one stage an ordinary 1st. series engine (and gearbox) from the dreaded "EGF", a 1937 car with doors which often opened of their own accord, but which had a particularly free-running motor. The GT would easily do an indicated 100 mph, but I forget what the revs were at that speed. A standard Aprilia was always a bit slower, presumably due to its shape.
 When I worked for John, it was well before the 70 mph limit was introduced and when the M6 near Preston was opened, we went up there just to see how fast an Aprilia would go. We drove up and down the few miles of motorway a couple of times and we each had a go. Maltby wasn't one to hog the driving and would always encourage the driver to press on, to put it mildly. At the time, that was probably the fastest I had ever been in a car, as I had only recently passed my driving test.
« Last Edit: 21 February, 2012, 08:59:14 PM by JohnMillham » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd