Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
25 April, 2024, 02:52:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Information required  (Read 4861 times)
stuwilson128
Non-LMC Seller
Rebel Poster

« on: 19 January, 2012, 07:26:06 PM »

I have had an email from somebody who is looking for information on an early Lancia.  It looks to me like a Theta, but my knowledge and recognition of the very early cars is not so good.  The email and links to the photos are copied below.

I found these photos in an album in an old house. Some of the people in them are distant relatives of mine with links to the Power family (Irish Whiskey), and to the Talbot family (car makers). I really dont know much more than that!

LA 4168 seems to be a Lancia.

Caption reads: Lancia with cat "Jude", Thornhill.

Next one features Jude again along with Meg the pony!

I think this caption says "Carne". It is the neighbouring townland to the one where I found the pictures (Ballytrent) in Co. Wexford, Ireland.

This one definitely says "Carne" and looks like the same house as the previous one.I think the dogs are "Poor dear old Sham and Bruiser"

Another shot at Carne with the dogs.

This one is taken outside Ballytrent House where I found the photos, and has a date of 1912. The car has a different body in this one, but I think it's the same machine. The wheels and the mudguards look the same. I think that this refit was done after the European tour as it doesn't seem to be present in those shots.

Another one at Ballytrent with the old body style

The car seems to have got a radiator badge along with its new body.

More photos to follow. Does anybody know anything about this car?

Modified to show the photos in the post.
« Last Edit: 23 January, 2012, 11:10:17 PM by stuwilson128 » Logged

Stuart Wilson 11175
1973 Fulvia Coupe 1.3
2000 Lybra SW 2.4JTd
2009 Delta 1.9 Twin Turbo
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 19 January, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »

What lovely evocative photos, after having a scan at La Lancia I'd go along with it being a Theta, but I'm no expert so perhaps someone can more knowledgable can supply a more definetive answer.
Mind I do think their taking the concept of Bonnet Mascots a bit too literal Cheesy
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
LanciAlan
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 20 January, 2012, 12:41:24 PM »

Hi Stuart

Nothing occurs about the car (except that the registration does not look Irish) but the places mentioned are very near where I keep my Lancias and spend my holidays so I am fascinated to see there is a bit of Lancia history close by. In fact I recognised the house at Carne pictured and I believe this is how it appears today ....

You might like to put your querist in touch with me if they are an Irish Lancia fan with whom we have not yet made contact.

Alan
« Last Edit: 20 January, 2012, 01:09:52 PM by LanciAlan » Logged

Alan Murphy

Lancias that begin with "F" ... and affordable variants beginning with "Z" and "P" ..... and now with added "Y"!
donw
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 20 January, 2012, 01:17:21 PM »

Stuart

Definitely NOT a Theta too early 1912 makes it pre Theta by at least 2 years, it could be a Delta, Epsilon or  Eta.  LA registrations started in London 1910, there is a 1914 Theta reg no LA 8057.

Don

Don Williamson
Member 111 joined 26th July 1963
1917 Theta 2str
1926 Lambda torpedo
1930 Artena berlina
1933 Belna coupe
Roland

« Reply #4 on: 10 May, 2012, 10:10:13 PM »

What a great find - lets have more of them!
These photos are earlier than Theta: my guess would be Epsilon possibly Delta but I think not.  It is very difficult to tell the models earlier than Theta apart but the date 1912 on one photo means Epsilon or earlier: three quarter elliptic rear springs means pre Theta and it has got electric side lamps and gas headlamps so probably Epsilon as that model could be supplied with electric headlamps as an option from Lancia, but many garages could fit electric lamps to order.  Some of the photos have a round enamelled Lancia badge on the radiator and it seems to have been taken or fallen off in other photos: only the very earliest Lancias had a cast brass badge so this is not significant.  Wooden wheels with detachable rims are late being more Epsilon than Gamma but these could be fitted retrospectively.
I must point out that before the first war it was quite often done to retain your registration number when you changed cars.  There appear to be two cars  shown. There are two different types of headlamp, two different windscreens, two different bodies, two different ways of attaching the rims (6 or 8 fixing bolts), two different shapes of fixed starting handle and possibly other points such as horns may be different. It was possible to change body, screen and keep the electric sidelamps but why change the starting handle or the wooden wheels and rims? Two different cars  I think.
My guess would be one is a Delta and the other an Epsilon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd