Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
22 October, 2020, 04:45:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Carbon monoxide  (Read 1692 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Scott
Megaposter
*
Posts: 239


« on: 12 January, 2012, 03:42:09 PM »

I don't know if this will turn out to be a silly question so bear with me!

Fancied a spin in the Fulvia at the weekend. I always push it out of the garage onto the drive, close the garage door and start it from there since the garage has an adjoining door into the house and car fumes in the house aren't good!

Anyway go for a nice spin with the missus and return home an hour or so later to hear an alarm blaring away in the house. It was the 'never ever gone off before' carbon monoxide alarm in the kitchen going berserk with a very high ppm figure on it.

The only explanation is that it must have been the Fulvia but this hasn't happened before. I don't know whether I should be concerned or if it's normal for high levels of ambient CO to exist on starting an old (pre-cat) car like that. Is there anything 'up' with the car that I should have checked out or is it just one of those things caused by, perhaps, denser air or something?  Huh?
Logged
mister bridger
Lapsed
Member
***
Posts: 36


« Reply #1 on: 12 January, 2012, 05:35:34 PM »

Very unlikely to be anything to do with the car if you started it outside. Get your boiler/ cooker checked out ASAP!
Logged
waterboy
Lapsed
Member
**
Posts: 13



« Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2012, 06:02:40 PM »

Sounds to me you need a gas safe registered engineer pal. Was your heating on when you were out? I am assuming the detector is positioned near the boiler. If not get another detector / change batteries ASAP

Simon
Logged
fay66
Permanent resident
**
Posts: 5874



« Reply #3 on: 13 January, 2012, 01:38:59 AM »

Turn off the Boiler and get checked without delay as all ready suggested, my late wifes cousin was killed by leaking Carbon Monoxide from a boiler, you can't see it, you can't smell it, silent killer.

Brian
8227 Cool
« Last Edit: 13 January, 2012, 01:40:37 AM by fay66 » Logged

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
1999 Suzuki Wagon R+ GL, now my daughters
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Scott
Megaposter
*
Posts: 239


« Reply #4 on: 13 January, 2012, 08:19:30 AM »

Thanks guys for the suggestions.
It's definitely not the boiler which was serviced recently or a faulty alarm or duff batteries.
My wife commented on there being a 'car exhaust fume' type smell in the house (her nose is more sensitive than mine) and it's too much of a coincidence that this only happened when starting the Fulvia near the house.

If there's nothing to worry about (car wise) then that's fine. I just didn't want this to be because the car is running super-duper rich or something else that is ultimately not very good for the car or the health of myself and other people if it's pumping out serious CO! I'll put it down to cold dense winter air and a full choke for now!

Thanks all the same for the comments.
Logged
the.cern
Permanent resident
**
Posts: 1488


« Reply #5 on: 13 January, 2012, 09:16:01 AM »

I'm sorry to say this Scott, but personally I wouldn't put this to bed yet !!

I really think that a call to the person who serviced your boiler is the next step and ask him, for your peace of mind, to re-visit and check out the boiler for this specific issue and when you call, don't mention the Fulvia. After all, everyone can have a bad day and everyone is fallible !!

                                  Andy
Logged
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident
*****
Posts: 3932



« Reply #6 on: 13 January, 2012, 09:23:33 AM »

CO is tasteless and odourless....but deadly.............get it checked, get someone with a meter to check everything, is your alarm working correctly too?

In my home village a mother and father died last year due to a blocked flue.


P
Logged

Frank Gallagher
Scott
Megaposter
*
Posts: 239


« Reply #7 on: 13 January, 2012, 11:17:15 AM »

Okay, it seems like there's a bit of a consensus here that I would be silly to ignore. I will get it checked out.

Many thanks to all who have replied. Have a good weekend.

Scott  Smiley
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2018 Lancia Motor Club Ltd

Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.