Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 07:13:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: winter protection  (Read 3829 times)
nic038
Lapsed

« on: 04 November, 2011, 10:56:50 AM »

while looking at preserving the old girl over the winter months i've come across these chaps
 http://www.thewaxworks.net/about_us.html
just wondering with the damper air now present, if you went ahead with this type of protection now are you in danger of trapping moisture between the metal and the sealant, or does the like of waxoil dispense water/moisture away when applied.

Just while on the subject apart from buying  the + £300.00  car capsule type tent thiings like car ports/carcoons what other bargain tips do people have for winter storage ( car garaged )

« Last Edit: 04 November, 2011, 11:03:08 AM by nic038 » Logged

1994 Delta HF integrale
Jolly_Club_6
« Reply #1 on: 04 November, 2011, 11:03:58 AM »

I think we can go overboard with wax oil type products, but the only real protection for a car to keep the damp away is the air chamber route, by next winter i hope to have mine set up.  Wink
nic038
Lapsed

« Reply #2 on: 04 November, 2011, 11:25:11 AM »

yep I know the air chambers are good but considering what you get they are very expensive for a few sheets of plastic and a fan.

just wondering if anyone has made thier own version from say getting a normal fan and chopping up/adapting  some of the garden gazeebos and such like that are currently been offloaded at garden centres/ some superstors,which can be had for a fraction of the price with twice the covering.At the end of the day all you're trying to do is create a type of greenhouse effect for the car over winter.
other issues are what do people put down on the garage floor, some people swear by putting old carpet down.

as for the waxoil well I want to get my car done but don't want to do it if it can cause water trappage with the damp air at present.
« Last Edit: 04 November, 2011, 11:28:09 AM by nic038 » Logged

1994 Delta HF integrale
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 04 November, 2011, 12:47:04 PM »

yep I know the air chambers are good but considering what you get they are very expensive for a few sheets of plastic and a fan.

just wondering if anyone has made thier own version from say getting a normal fan and chopping up/adapting  some of the garden gazeebos and such like that are currently been offloaded at garden centres/ some superstors,which can be had for a fraction of the price with twice the covering.At the end of the day all you're trying to do is create a type of greenhouse effect for the car over winter.
other issues are what do people put down on the garage floor, some people swear by putting old carpet down.

as for the waxoil well I want to get my car done but don't want to do it if it can cause water trappage with the damp air at present.
Nic,
I have the underside of my Fulvia 2c checked over every year then treated with waxoil where necessary, sometimes there are areas that don't need it applied such as areas that don't receive any direct spray. Waxoil, Dinitrol and many other similar products are water dispersants so you don't get moisture trapped as you used to do with underseal, although waxoil do there own underseal these days which also disperses water.
I don't think it would be anything like as easy to achieve the same performance, or anything like the construction of the commercialy obtained air chambers using the materials you are contemplating, for starters they may just be sheets of plastic but they are seriously heavy duty, completely taped and stitched unlike your usual gazebo, you also need something to hold it up, in my case a fiberglass pole framework backed up by blow up air panels in the roof to improve rigidity, you need heavy duty zips sewn in, with heavy duty 12v motors to run the fans, and a transformer to drop to power from mains to 12v.
I bought mine after I had to put my 2c into storage after moving to a place with no garage, Storage was costing me £97 a month and an inconvenient 15 miles away. shortly after I managed to get a concrete lock up that sweated like you wouldn't believe.
At the time about 10 years ago my Air Chamber cost me about £350, and they're not a lot more than that now, so it paid for itself in a matter of under 4 months.
Erecting it was hard work as it really is heav duty, effectively it's a sealed box including the floor being stiched in; first I painted the concrete floor with an epoxy paint to seal it from any damp, I normally have opened out cardboard boxes on the floor, but that's to catch oil drips.
Without a doubt if I hadn't have had the airchamber she would have rotted away very quickly even though she was out of the rain and snow.
I always used to put an old carpet down on the garage floor which if nothing else makes it much more comfortable to stand on if you're doing any work!
I hadn't put one down in my latest garage which is now brick and drier than the concrete, this was after the very bad winter we had this year, it was ok inside the airchamber throughout the cold weather but when everything started thawing out after the ground being so deeply frozen, I had condensation inside the airchamber, which meant I had to open the airchamber take the Fulvia out then dry the floor, something I've never experienced before!
So I now have a carpet on the floor in the hope that it will keep the temperature up a bit so the inside doesn't sweat, or if it does, soak up the moisture so that I can then remove it and dry it.
Over the past 10 years I've had 3 new fans from the supplier at a reasonable cost, so all in all it's cost me less than £40 a year over it's life up to now, which obviously doesn't included to cost of the electric to run the fans, it still has lots of life left although the main door and zips are getting a bit tatty, a small price for keeping away the damp from my pride and joy.
Another added bonus is that it keeps myFulvia nearly dust free, something that you can't achieve even in a garage, without an airchamber.
Most important though is NEVER put the car away wet.
Yes, you might be able to make one cheaper, will it be as good or better, or as cost effective over it's life,? I doubt it.
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
nic038
Lapsed

« Reply #4 on: 04 November, 2011, 03:43:36 PM »

Thanks for the reply Brian

I know in my head an air chamber is the best solution but  i quite like the typical british " blue peter " approach to solving problems for a cheaper solution sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.

I also have cardboard down on my garage floor at present, and I also fitted those long brush style draught excluders you can get for garage doors from the likes of b& q for £10.00

last year I left a couple of moisture traps in the car which you can buy from the likes of wilkinsons for about £3.00 a pop and was suprised how well they worked in absorbing the damp air inside the car.
will keep you updated on how I get on... Grin
« Last Edit: 04 November, 2011, 05:09:50 PM by nic038 » Logged

1994 Delta HF integrale
thecolonel
« Reply #5 on: 04 November, 2011, 05:10:47 PM »

Air chambers are all very well and good, but,
the most sensible thing to do is :- drive to
Southern Italy beginning of October, park
car somewhere safe and in March go back
and collect. Sorted.
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 04 November, 2011, 05:24:14 PM »

Colonel, I am very disappointed !!!!  Your response is not up to the standard we have come to now and love !!!!

You infer, but do not state, that the car is left in southern Italy. Bally stupid if you don't mind me saying. Surely it is preferable to stay with the jolly old thing until March and then, and only then, consider returning to blighty

Must close now, tiffin calls.

The Cern
nic038
Lapsed

« Reply #7 on: 04 November, 2011, 05:42:47 PM »

colonel
If you left you're car there that long you'd risk your copius amounts of spirits going awol, secondly when you're home supplies ran out it would be a long trip to get to your reserves if they were still in the car !!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: 04 November, 2011, 05:55:06 PM by nic038 » Logged

1994 Delta HF integrale
thecolonel
« Reply #8 on: 04 November, 2011, 09:56:35 PM »

Comments duly noted, however I thought
everyone knew, I winter in Barbados, also
being a Gamma driver I can happily leave
my transport anywhere, safe in the knowledge
that no-one would every steal it.

Toodles
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print