Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 08:19:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lancia wedding cars  (Read 3163 times)
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« on: 02 August, 2011, 05:50:30 PM »

Following on from Chugga's showing this weekend here's a photo to start the thread.  I think it was December 1998 and the photo made the cover of Viva some time in 1999 with an article I've just found and posted below.

David

=========

The Greenwich Park Hill climb
Elsa – Wedding Car

It was the noise that was noted most.  Quite the talk at the reception.

Clack.         Clack.        Tick tick tick tick TING sizzzle zizzle BANG BANG a blatter blatta blatta vahruma vahruma vahruma blatter blatter blatter - pharp pharp - bloom bloom bloom blam blam blaht popple popple blat blat blam blam blam blam popple popple.   

Replay.  Doors shut; one, two, with the authority of old fashioned railway compartment doors.  Petrol pump and ignition on.  Wait for the carbs to prime.  Push the starter, pinion clips flywheel with a ring like a bell. Catch it with some throttle, blip to clear the plugs.  Trickle up, turn, and hard away into the distance. A rumble, pops and bangs echoing off the buildings, revs rising and checked, progress tracked from the church by direction and distance for just about the entire run up to the reception.

I knew the exhausts were illegal – I had a ticket in my pocket from a very special constable from the weekend before telling me just that.  The car was warmed up some distance away and I trickled into place during the first hymn.  Someone needed to squeeze their car out.  Perhaps his house was blighted by wedding cars on a regular basis. Anyhow, he wasn’t happy waiting for the surprise of the special noise for a special day.   Push and shove and push and flag and shove and push and back into place.   I helped with the fireworks – a couple of large rockets (in central Greenwich!) for just as they came out of the church.   It was a day that went off with plenty bangs.  I sneaked in the back, nervous, with dirty hands and butterflies.

They wanted to be the big noise in Greenwich that afternoon. They wanted something different.  Being good Yorkshire folk they wanted something for free.  She wanted to shove two fingers at her brother who refused to drive his car on winter roads, take on the traffic, or park in South London.   They both loved the car after a memorable ride back through London late one night, six up.  Paint is fresh in the picture – they wouldn’t have cared if it was still in primer but I thought it as good a reason as any to hurry that along. Passenger seat came out, rugs draped to save the frock, he was shoved in under the roll cage diagonal and she held the top bar to avoid being shot forward.

It attracted a lot of interest outside the church.  Its not an Aston or a Jag.  Nothing to do with Mitsubushi Lancers.  Has been raced.  It really is that old.  No I don't go to shows in it.  Nothing to do with the father or brother.  There’s a giggle as they wedge themselves in, I produce the crash helmet with a flourish, flick up my tails and tumble in.  Some cheers, conffetti.  ‘No point hanging about – want to get up in good time for snaps then greet the guests’.  ‘Oh – and a couple of laps of the Greenwich one way to wave at the tourists’.   ‘No point limping up the side with the speed bumps – may as well take the longer route’.   Well ok then – make some racket.  We didn’t hang about.  Due care was shown and, given the tightness of the roads up the hill and round the top of Blackheath I doubt we exceeded the limit, at least not by all that much. ‘Maybe I wasn’t expecting to go quite like that’ he remarked but she was just giggling and not in the least bit bothered.   It was her day and maybe stuck under the cross bar it wasn’t as easy to hang on.

We’re both fathers now.  We both went to the Grand prix last year some 3 and 4 weeks after they were born.  I found the picture the other day – a memorable wedding.

* Wedding.jpg (23.43 KB, 585x590 - viewed 376 times.)

David Laver, Lewisham.
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 04 August, 2011, 07:28:31 AM »

Now, that's a wedding car !!!!!!!
lee69
« Reply #2 on: 01 September, 2011, 07:30:26 PM »

Now this is a selection of fine cars for your wedding

http://www.flickr.com/photos/countrushmore/2340781059/in/set-72157603679111015/
HF_Dave
Megaposter

Rust , What Rust !! I don't See any rust !!!

« Reply #3 on: 01 September, 2011, 10:47:34 PM »

Strange that, I was only looking through old back issues of VL and saw the picture the other day. I used my HF2000 as a wedding car for my friend and Lancia lover Boca kilkenny  and his wife Mary back in 2006. I drove Mary to the Church with her father in the front and her in the back, a bit tight with the dress and all. After the ceremony Bocca and Mary Drove away to the reception on their own, with me biting my nails following behind in a Thema hoping there would no no problems . They arrived safely and we had a great night at the reception. I never saw a wedding car being photographed so much. I'll post a picture when I find one as I had an anologue camera at the time. Thanks. David.
« Last Edit: 01 September, 2011, 10:52:43 PM by HF_Dave » Logged

My Current Cars:

1991 Thema station wagon
1989 Thema 16v
2011 Lancia Delta 3

1977 Beta sedan 2000
1975 Fulvia S3 1.3
1973 Flavia HF 2000 Coupe
1972 Fulvia S2 1.3
1989 Thema 8.32
**Other Makes**
2018 Alfa Giulia
1999 Alfa 156
2009 Fiat Du
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 02 September, 2011, 09:49:40 AM »

Is there yet another Augusta in this one?   Its enough to make you want to get married all over again...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/countrushmore/2340772081/in/set-72157603679111015/

...but what's going on with the Flavia's rear wheel?

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 02 September, 2011, 09:55:12 AM »

Is there yet another Augusta in this one?   Its enough to make you want to get married all over again...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/countrushmore/2340772081/in/set-72157603679111015/

...but what's going on with the Flavia's rear wheel?

David
David,
I've blown it up 400% and it looks like a piece of Shag Pile carpet Huh?

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd