Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 06:09:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I've never seen this before or Rubber block in Fulvia Gt Sill.  (Read 5308 times)
fay66
Permanent resident

« on: 11 August, 2011, 12:31:33 AM »

I've just had a request for information regarding replacing the sills on his Fulvia GT Berlina from a Lancisti in australia.
As far as that goes, no problem as I can supply him with information, however what did intrigue me was his comment shown below

"I have noticed a rubber block within the sill channel. Obviously included to stop water running the full length of the sill, as there are no drain holes at the rear end of the sill."[/color
]
Now I've never seen this item before or seen in discussed by anyone. have a look at the photos, any comments would be welcome.

Brian
8227 Cool

* Rubber Block Fulvia GT Sill. 2 JPG.JPG (357.87 KB, 720x960 - viewed 375 times.)

* Rubber Block Fulvia GT Sill. 3 JPG.JPG (354.5 KB, 720x960 - viewed 378 times.)
« Last Edit: 11 August, 2011, 08:01:22 AM by fay66 » Logged

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #1 on: 11 August, 2011, 06:58:27 AM »

It most probably keeps water IN the sill.  Grin

Rather, it was probably used to position the sill on assembly.  Where was the car built?

Brian, you gotta stop using these cryptic thread titles.  My curiousity gets the better of me every time, and then I find out it wasn't what I expected.  I was hoping this one was going to feature a picture of Kristin Scott-Thomas' derriere.  I haven't seen it before either, but I'd sure like to!  Cheesy

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 11 August, 2011, 07:41:32 AM »

Brian,
I am sure I remember seeing the same sort of thing in our 1965 2C when I resotred it back in the 70's.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 11 August, 2011, 08:04:12 AM »

It most probably keeps water IN the sill.  Grin

Rather, it was probably used to position the sill on assembly.  Where was the car built?

Brian, you gotta stop using these cryptic thread titles.  My curiousity gets the better of me every time, and then I find out it wasn't what I expected.  I was hoping this one was going to feature a picture of Kristin Scott-Thomas' derriere.  I haven't seen it before either, but I'd sure like to!  Cheesy

Sorry Guy I'll have to stop using Cryptic Headers Embarrassed
I'll check with the owner where it was built, did they build Berlina's in SA?
From what he's said it certainly worked as the rear end of the sill is still pretty solid whereas the front is where he has the rust?
I'd be surprised if it was use during manufacture as even back in the early sixties when I first started at Vauxhall Motors, bare metal body components would have been held in a jig during manufacture.

Brian
8227 Cool
« Last Edit: 11 August, 2011, 08:08:22 AM by fay66 » Logged

Dedra Technical Adviser
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 11 August, 2011, 08:15:18 AM »

Brian,
I am sure I remember seeing the same sort of thing in our 1965 2C when I resotred it back in the 70's.
Chris

Thank you Chris,
I have had a look at the Tivoli but I can find no mention of the rubber block, but going by the preformed shape it was a manufactured item designed for a specific task rather than just a block of unformed rubber.
Many years ago I thought of filling a box member with expanding foam, working on the assumption that if the section was full of foam and with no space for water then perhaps the section wouldn't rot away, I thought at the time that something wasn't quite right with that theory, so it never happened, any thoughts of what might have been the results Huh?

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #5 on: 11 August, 2011, 09:16:21 AM »

I've some experience of this when we have tried it on trains. Not very successful, as unless you can guarantee complete coverage you get pockets where water gathers and the metal then rusts. You also get condensation so the idea that no water will ever get in is a non-starter (unles you vacuum evacuate every void!). Then you find that the foam only lasts a few years before it starts to degrade and crumble. In large scale use it also introduces a lot of weight and of course you have all the health and safety issues with flamability, toxicity etc to deal with. We ditched it after trialing it for a few years.

The time proven solution of treat the metal, provide a drain hole and give it a dose of waxoil every few years is still IMO the best.

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 11 August, 2011, 11:57:30 AM »

Thank you Neil,
I think that at the time I must have had thoughts along the same line, bearing in mind your comments about the foam breaking down, I wonder what is now the state of the foam cavity wall insulation that I had pumped into the cavity walls of two of my previous homes Shocked While it was great as far as insulation was concerned, the most immediate unforseen effect on my bungalow with a baxi underfloor draught fire, was a disaster, as the airbricks where filled with the stuff!

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
thecolonel
« Reply #7 on: 11 August, 2011, 01:12:12 PM »

They have the sense to tube vents now
Some of ours were blocked but they
installed new ones at the same time.

I used instant foam on a beta years ago
I don't think it helped at all.
ben
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 11 August, 2011, 10:15:24 PM »

I have come across foam in sections of an Alfa-Sud in the front wheel-arch/engine bay region. It certainly had not stopped the rust and made it very hazardous to weld!
 (I assumed it was there from when the car was built but I suppose that was not neccessarily the case.)
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #9 on: 13 August, 2011, 09:20:09 AM »

Brian, don't take me SO seriously please.  Smiley

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
rogerelias
Rebel Poster

MY 1600HF IN HEARTBEAT GARAGE

« Reply #10 on: 13 August, 2011, 09:54:35 PM »

My sills on the HF are coming off soon Cry, will see if i have the imfamous block Huh?

FULVIA 1600HF LUSSO
1958 VELOCETTE MAC
Triumph Bonneville t120v 1972
1968 MGC ROADSTER
1958 Series 2 Appia berlina
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 14 August, 2011, 12:35:04 AM »

My sills on the HF are coming off soon Cry, will see if i have the imfamous block Huh?

Roger will it be the first time they've ever been changed? I await the results with interest.
hope everything goes well with their replacement.

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd