Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:27:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Master Cylinder  (Read 10775 times)
angelorange
Megaposter

« Reply #15 on: 20 July, 2011, 05:30:02 PM »

V similar set up to Kevin's,

Have no Servo.

Working from furthest away to nearest resevoir some corners good flow of
fluid, others very little. When sealed again pedal goes a long way down
but after a few pumps is back to normal. During bleeding once or twice
the pedal goes solid part way down.

Any ideas on replacement seals? Alan what are the numbers/letters referring to on your S2 photos? Any workshop pics?

Hope it can be re-built in time for Cadwell CSCC race this Sunday!

Thanks!

I'm entitled to my ignorance!
LanciAlan
Megaposter

« Reply #16 on: 20 July, 2011, 11:52:02 PM »

Lucas Genhiau in the Dutch Club (see the viva-lancia website) had various seals for the Dunlop calipers at one stage. Older /Flavia/Flaminia have these Dunlop calipers but in varying sizes, even as between Touring/Zagato/Pininfarina variants in the case of Flaminia. No doubt Omicron have the quickest correct seals for you if you are in a hurry.

The numbers and letters reflect the fact that I intended to write an updated version of Andrea Nistri's 1980s guidance on S2 master cylinder overhaul as published in the Fulvia Journal but without the benefit of photos. So they are just my own reference numbers. Andrea's article included a copy of the Tavola exploded diagram of the master cylinder and he referenced the numbers as they appear in that diagram. I can scan a copy if you want but its S2.

My brakes are still not right after rebuilding the master cylinder - plenty of pedal pressure but minimal braking effect and variable pedal feel from rock hard but no braking to spongy with moderate braking. After a recent scare on a narrow bridge I am going to have to sort it out.  I am suspecting either fluid in the servo and/or air in the inner wheel caliper cylinders. The front inner pads on both sides are not making full contact with the disc though I have tested to conform they are moving. I get better braking in reverse!

In course of investigation I had 2 further problems: airlock in the master cylinder after emptying and refilling system - I used a Gunsons pressure bleeding kit attached to a tyre valve to blow fluid from the reservoir into the master cylinder bore. Earlier the master cylinder piston assembly got "stuck" in the bore when my assistant pumped the pedal too energetically.

Alan Murphy

Lancias that begin with "F" ... and affordable variants beginning with "Z" and "P" ..... and now with added "Y"!
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #17 on: 21 July, 2011, 12:43:38 AM »

From what I understand from David Thomas Garages who look after my Fulvia, they use a bleeding machine that is connected to the bleed nipple which draws fluid through the system so that no air pressure or pumping of the pedal while bleeding is necessary.
After changing the brake fluid last time the pedal went down noticably, they were left to stand overnight with the intention of bleeding them again, but by next morning the pedal was ok and re-bleeding wasn't necessary and the brakes were fine afterwards, and the best they've ever been.
Seems to be one of the dark arts of Fulvia ownership Roll Eyes

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd