Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 04:18:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tyres - some advice please.  (Read 3134 times)
Lindsay
« on: 06 July, 2011, 02:51:15 PM »

Hallo all. Not Lancia related as such, but could be relevant.

In the absence of finding a UK registered Lancia Phedra in the colour and spec I wanted (!), I have bought a FIat Ulysse instead. It is supposed to have 215/65/15 tyres, but this one comes with 195/65/15 winter tyres on it - on the original alloys. They are quality tyres in near new condition, but the question is - is it safe to run them in other than winter conditions? I will barely drive the car more than 65mph, there will be no trips longer than 2 hours at any one time in it and it will not be cornered on the door handles so to speak. However, in theory they will wear out quite quickly I believe and are probably worth keeping for the winter weather anyway (although the Panda 4x4 will take over then).

So, what do people think? Get some 215s on it as soon as poss, or just run it as is?

Opinions, views and facts welcome!!
thanks
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 06 July, 2011, 05:53:59 PM »

Run the Thema  Grin

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Lindsay
« Reply #2 on: 06 July, 2011, 06:01:24 PM »

Helpful advice!! But it is 600 miles away so not ideally suitable for now  Grin
fensaddler
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 06 July, 2011, 07:09:34 PM »

Advice is that over about 10C, winter tyres are less efficient ie. less grippy and less likely to stop you quickly.  They won't blow up on you, I don't think, but they are as effective in the summer as summer tyres are on sheet ice.  And as you say, they will wear out pretty quickly.  Ideally, get yourself some summer tyres until it gets cold again, then swap back.  I think your summers should fit on the same rims, if you don't want to keep or buy another set of wheels.  But I guess chugga's your man for this sort of advice.

Chris Owen
1987 Delta 1.3LX
2012 Skoda Yeti 112TSi 4WD
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 06 July, 2011, 08:07:58 PM »

1) Definitely have a word with Chugga.
2) Chris quotes 10C as being the point at which summer/winter tyres crossover, I think this is generous. I have always understood it to be 7C. therefore there is more of the year in which not only will your tyres wear more quickly but when the winter tyres will be less effective/efficient.
3) I believe a two wheel drive vehicle on winter tyres is a more usable beast in cold temperatures, including snow and ice, than a four wheel drive one on summer tyres, maybe you could get rid of the Panda.
4) I have a Transit for which I have 4 winter tyres and 4 summer tyres. They are used according to the season, but the spare is always out of sync, I hope that makes sense. Thus, for your situation I suggest get 4 second-hand steel rims, put winter tyres on these, buy 4 summer tyres and put them on the alloys. In cold weather you have 4 robust steel rims with winter tyres and the 5th winter tyre on an alloy rim as a spare. In the summer you have 4 smart new tyres on alloys and the spare is still a winter tyre on an alloy. In the event of a puncture it would of course be necessary to repair any damaged tyre asap to minimise the unbalance caused by using an odd rim or tyre combination. I would always put the the 'odd' wheel on the rear axle.   

I hope that makes sense, it is the cheapest way of running sets of summer and winter tyres, and, added bonus, there are only ever 3 wheels to store !!!!

Andy
fensaddler
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 06 July, 2011, 10:21:05 PM »

I think you're right Andy - I put 'about' 10C because I couldn't remember the precise figure.  You're right that its probably nearer 7-8C.

Winter tyres are better in snow and ice because they are a. narrower and b. stickier at that temperature.  And I'd agree from what I've heard that a 2wd on winters is a better bet than a 4wd on summers.  You're also usually better off in ice and snow with a light, FWD car with narrow section tyres - also known as a Y10...!

PS - to the spellcheck on this board, its tyres NOT tires...

Chris Owen
1987 Delta 1.3LX
2012 Skoda Yeti 112TSi 4WD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd