Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 04:39:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Carb tuning  (Read 4257 times)
ah_sprite
Lapsed

« on: 01 June, 2011, 03:16:23 PM »

Hi all
I (think I have) managed to adjust my carbs so the car is idling well, using the four idle control screws. However, the car refuses to run properly at all under any load whatsoever, unless the engine speed is increased very slowly.

The timing appears to be okay, what else could be the cause of the problem?

Richard
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 02 June, 2011, 07:24:40 AM »

Richard,

It sounds like the idling jets are clear and working OK, but other jets inside the carbs at the bottom of the float chambers may not be. Also, the accelerator pumps underneath the carbs may not be functioning. If the carbs have been refurbished then the diaphragms for these pumps should have been replaced and the push-rod linkages that work them should have been checked.

Think yourself lucky you are not trying to fix this with a sideways opening bonnet as on early Sports!

Regarding your other question about engine oil - I favour Fiat/Selenia HPX. There have been other posts on the Forum about this oil – it is 20/60 semi-synthetic, not hugely expensive and does what it’s supposed to do, which is good for old engines.

Colin
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 02 June, 2011, 10:14:48 AM »

No connection to them but having just Googled it http://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Details&prodID=5063&sku=12478
Have it for £27.54 inc Vat which seems to be £3-£4 at least cheaper than anywhere listed, unless Colin knows different Wink

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
ah_sprite
Lapsed

« Reply #3 on: 05 June, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »

Thanks for the replies, chaps.
Done some more investigation and it would appear that you are indeed right - the acceleration side of things isn't delievering any fuel. The pumps seem to be working correctly, however.

Just had the carbs off the cars and in bits - cleaned out all of the jets and plunger bearings as far and as well as I can, they were very full of crud indeed. Hopefully that will have sorted my problems.

Out of interest, is there anywhere that will supply single parts for carbs, such as, say, a new diaphragm or a new main jet?

Many thanks for the input
Richard
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 05 June, 2011, 09:06:57 PM »

New Solex Main jets (whats wrong with yours?) are not readily available but recon kits with all gaskets and diaphrams are nearly always on ebay c £30.
Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
roddy

« Reply #5 on: 19 June, 2011, 10:53:58 PM »

Hello Richard

I have found that eBay shop :- http://stores.ebay.com/ALFA1750S-CARBURETORS-PARTS-STORE   in Italy are very good at supplying Solex parts, including jets.   English seems to be understood, and they offer a very good service, in my opinion.

Regards - Roddy

Roddy Young
Dunfermline, Fife

1970 Fulvia Sport S1 1.3S
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd