Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 01:26:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lancia Cruelty?  (Read 15153 times)
LanciAlan
Megaposter

« on: 22 May, 2011, 07:52:38 AM »

I've had some adverse feedback since I put a towbar on my 2000HF, both from an aesthetic perspective and also from the "how could you!" one....

I actually did it so that I could take 2 Lancias to a recent event at which I had promised to loan a car to an overseas visitor. The original plan was to spend 6 hours before the event delivering one car  - a round trip of over 300 miles  - but neither car was ready until the last minute and I was too busy preparing them. A rare example (for me) of placing a realistic value on my own time and taking an easier and cheaper alternative approach!

None of my Lancias are ever going to be so perfect that they can't be used to do hard work!
« Last Edit: 22 May, 2011, 08:47:49 AM by LanciAlan » Logged

Alan Murphy

Lancias that begin with "F" ... and affordable variants beginning with "Z" and "P" ..... and now with added "Y"!
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 22 May, 2011, 09:05:12 AM »

Hats off to you !!

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
m tulloch
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2011, 12:39:58 PM »

Nowt wrong with that! Just ignore them.
lee69
« Reply #3 on: 22 May, 2011, 05:19:08 PM »

Nowt wrong with that! Just ignore them.

It would have been more cruel if the Y10 was towing the 2000! I'm sure the 2000's got plenty of torque too. Now you need a contemporary caravan....
chugga boom
Non-LMC Seller
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 22 May, 2011, 06:49:45 PM »

alan its your car do what you want to it and not what others want , looks fine and my dad always harps on about what a great tow car a flavia is! its better to see it used as intended rather than being towed or trailered  Grin

1935 augusta lusso (chugga)
1935 belna saloon
1935 augusta lusso
1938 ardenne
1939 aprilia lusso
1958 appia s2
1963 appia s3 
195? appia camioncino
1972 fulvia 1600HF
1976 fulvia coupe
194? ardea SUV  "THE BEAST!!!"
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #5 on: 22 May, 2011, 07:26:15 PM »

The Aurelia I bought from a farmer had a tow bar. The imagination runs wild!

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 22 May, 2011, 07:33:13 PM »

Alan,
Great idea and certainly not cruel, I should think the Y10 was very pleased to be towed by such an illustrious forbearer of the Marque.
One thing puzzling me, why the length of the bar, being its only a two wheel suspended tow trailer, or does it convert into a four wheel trailer?

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
LanciAlan
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 22 May, 2011, 10:49:43 PM »

Yes it tows very well - plenty of low end torque but I take it easy being careful not to strain or overload anything.

Brian I don't know why the drawbar is so long - its short enough to make the towed car look pretty close in the rear view mirror! One reason for its length is to store the pretty heavy duty ramps when on the move - you can see them stowed there in the first picture.

Alan Murphy

Lancias that begin with "F" ... and affordable variants beginning with "Z" and "P" ..... and now with added "Y"!
peteracs
Administrator
Rebel Poster

« Reply #8 on: 23 May, 2011, 09:43:49 AM »

Hi

It looks to me like it may have been a converted boat trailer which would explain the length.

One benefit of a long distance between the towbar and the wheels is that should you ever need to reverse it, the longer the distance between theses two makes for much easier reversing. Anyone who has ever tried to reverse one of the small trailers will confirm how much of a pain they are going backwards.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
LanciAlan
Megaposter

« Reply #9 on: 23 May, 2011, 01:03:14 PM »

Don't think it was ever a boat trailer ... though some of the components would certainly be common. While it does not bear a manufacturers' plate apart from the Knott towing hook at the front, I believe these were purpose built for professional vehicle recovery and the design features of its construction do suggest this (I've had it apart for a rebuild).

Fair point about reversing though - when unladen, it is so low as to be difficult to see all of it when reversing! When laden with a car it is impossible to reverse as the trailer's brakes apply when you push it backwards - and even if they don't, the whole thing turns into a letter "Z" pretty quick as it is effectively articulated at two points -the towbar and the towed car's steering. I've done it where absoloutely essential by just rolling backwards down a convenient hill and hoping for the best but it's pretty well uncontrollable/unpredicatable in reverse. Requires careful journey planning and parking!
« Last Edit: 23 May, 2011, 01:07:07 PM by LanciAlan » Logged

Alan Murphy

fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 23 May, 2011, 06:11:41 PM »

I used to drive articulated Lorries years ago, and a long trailer is always easier to reverse as it doesn't turn as quick as a short one, giving to time to catch any movement out of line.
Alan,
as far as reversing applying the overrun brakes, normally there would be a 'U' shaped piece that could be dropped behind the towing mechanism to stop it activating the overrun brakes when reversing, but being that the trailer has 2 articulated points, this would negate the effect of the U piece,  unless something similar could be used to stop the rear wheels moving out of line as well.
As a matter of interest Alan Cooper tells me that when he first bought your Flavia Coupe, it was already fitted with a tow bar, which AC removed as he had no need for it. so it's just resuming a role it has been used for before!
Overall the trailer is quite short, certainly compared to a full car carrying one, I had the same problem of not being able to see the trailer at all when empty,  I had a small trailer for carrying my 1969 Raleigh Moped, eventually I bought a special rack that mounts in between the ball and the towbar, that allows me to carry the moped width ways across the back of the car, so I didn't have to worry about speed either.
Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
HF_Dave
Megaposter

Rust , What Rust !! I don't See any rust !!!

« Reply #11 on: 23 May, 2011, 09:11:59 PM »

Alan, the Y10 never went as fast in it's life.

My Current Cars:

1991 Thema station wagon
1989 Thema 16v
2011 Lancia Delta 3

1977 Beta sedan 2000
1975 Fulvia S3 1.3
1973 Flavia HF 2000 Coupe
1972 Fulvia S2 1.3
1989 Thema 8.32
**Other Makes**
2018 Alfa Giulia
1999 Alfa 156
2009 Fiat Du
LanciAlan
Megaposter

« Reply #12 on: 24 May, 2011, 06:06:59 AM »

As a matter of interest Alan Cooper tells me that when he first bought your Flavia Coupe, it was already fitted with a tow bar, which AC removed as he had no need for it. so it's just resuming a role it has been used for before!

Indeed - I hadn't known that the car previously had a towbar though one of the things that went really well in fitting it was when I found the holes were already there in the chassis and in exactly the right places. I was able to finish a job in time for tea.... for a change.

Overall the trailer is quite short, certainly compared to a full car carrying one

Its a very handy piece of equipment - especially to store when not in use as it takes up no space relative to a transporter trailer. I used to hire full trailers for my secret missions to recover eBay purchases from the UK but this makes life a lot easier (going forward at least) and places far less load on the tow car. Here's a pic of said 2000HF arriving in Dublin at dawn circa 2005 ....

Alan Murphy

fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 24 May, 2011, 08:55:13 AM »

Alan,
Very nice photos and Looks a great bit of kit, does the long bar detach or does it fold up out of the way?

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
LanciAlan
Megaposter

« Reply #14 on: 12 June, 2011, 12:38:43 PM »

Hi Brian

I seem to have lost sight of this thread after your last post on 23May - life must have got a bit busy around then.

It sometimes occurs to me that there must be a lot of useful and interesting material (this not being a prime example or anything) lost in the labyrinthine pathways of fora like this when a thread runs dry for a while and effectively becomes a loose end!

As I am sure others do, I use the "new replies" links above to catch up on new posts at each visit here. I only rarely browse the various topics that are organised by subject on the front page. I have had only mixed degrees of success in using the search function, whether to research something of particular interest or (as someone else observed recently) to find a thread that I knew I had seen before but couldn't re-locate when I wanted to refer to it. I guess fora are meant to be like that - more of a conversation than a library.

Anyhow, to answer your question, the long towing bar doesn't normally detach when in use or in storage as it is pivoted on the transverse axle bar and also attaches to two track rods that act on the wheel carrier pods - sort of a steering system that makes it easer to turn corners. I may have a picture somewhere.

It is certainly a great piece of equipment but, being of heavy duty construction, it is not a lightweight one and, although taking up less space, it is not a lot easier to move by hand than a full transporter trailer! The jockey wheel is essential!

Alan Murphy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd