Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 01:47:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flexible fabric couplings  (Read 8194 times)
apriliadriver
Lapsed

« on: 19 March, 2011, 12:18:59 PM »

I have asked GMS Polymer of Birmingham for a quote for manufacture of Aprilia prop-shaft flexible couplings, with the three-point spider.

Cavalitto have them in stock at approx £150 + p&p each, and I thought I would look for a UK alternative.

If GMS Polymer is too pricy I will try GKN/Walter Waterscheid   -  unless any forumista has already done so. Post here if you have  ...  I know John Turner has posted about Lambda couplings from that source.

And ...  if anyone has a couple of new discs that they do not need, can you contact me ?
Nick
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #1 on: 19 March, 2011, 05:33:12 PM »

they have gone up a lot then , I paid 130 euros each from cavalitto and 30 euros postage for the two =290 euros but this was a 3 years ago. Super quality, and they last well.I was quoted much more in the uk..... It still may seem expensive but there is a lot of work in them and they are critical the ride quality. I wouldn't risk making something that is not quite right, that's also not cheap in the long run.
apriliadriver
Lapsed

« Reply #2 on: 19 March, 2011, 06:49:25 PM »

Will,
yes, good point. I saw the Italian repro ones on one of the stands at Padua last year  -  200-euro each, but they looked a good job. It may be that we have to go Cavalitto after all, but I thought I would try here first.
Nick
apriliadriver
Lapsed

« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2011, 10:55:32 AM »

I have now had the quote from GMS in Birmingham.  Not good news I am afraid.

The Aprilia flexible fabric coupling is not a standard size and he will have to pay £275 for a tool to create the three-legged metal spider and bushes.

So, for ordering two-off, the unit price would be circa £245 ea., (half the tooling cost plus £78 plus VAT for the coupling)

If I was to order 50 couplings, that would go down, but probably still be as expensive if not more so than the off-the-shelf Cavalitto production.

However, if there is sufficient demand from Aprilia owners, I will get a quote for 50-off  -  signify your interest through this thread plse by no later than Friday 29th April.
Thanks,
Nick
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 16 April, 2011, 12:42:28 PM »

Do we really need new spiders??  And, since there is no real angular motion, unlike on a Lambda for instance, how about making them up out of solid nylon without the spiders at all?

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
BlueSky
Lapsed

« Reply #5 on: 16 April, 2011, 05:28:06 PM »

As I've said before I got new couplings from Cavalitto a couple of years ago, they are excellent. I also think supporting one of the few people that supply parts for out 70+yo cars is worth while. As a matter of interest 20 years ago the fabric/rubber couplings on my car were rebuilt for £110.40.
As to if they are really needed, I don't know, but they must be there for a reason?
Noel

1937 1st series Aprilia Berlina
Nissan X-Trail T31 TS
1920 P & M 3 1/2hp {FOR SALE}
John Deere LX188
www.narrywoolan.com.au/home
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #6 on: 16 April, 2011, 05:29:41 PM »

engine/gearbox is on sprung mountings.I suspect there is some up and down motion between drive and axle.
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #7 on: 16 April, 2011, 05:31:21 PM »

I also like dealing with cavalitto, good ,service and helpful.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 16 April, 2011, 11:44:54 PM »

As I've said before I got new couplings from Cavalitto a couple of years ago, they are excellent. I also think supporting one of the few people that supply parts for out 70+yo cars is worth while. As a matter of interest 20 years ago the fabric/rubber couplings on my car were rebuilt for £110.40.
As to if they are really needed, I don't know, but they must be there for a reason?
Noel

Do we need to reinvent the wheel? I agree let's support our suppliers.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
johnturner
Lapsed

« Reply #9 on: 17 April, 2011, 09:09:29 AM »

Yes, you do need new spiders.  They are there to keep the shafts concentric and without them, or if they are worn, the whole thing is inclined to whirl around and self destruct.  On the Lambda the shafts are centred with a hardened spigot and cup permanently fixed to the shafts; on later cars the cup/spider is replaced every time you change the coupling.

John
apriliadriver
Lapsed

« Reply #10 on: 27 May, 2011, 07:56:05 AM »

To complete this story, I ordered three couplings from Enrico at Cavallitto. Their website PayPal system worked properly and the couplings  -  very nicely manufactured  -  arrived in a few days.

No problems installing them, they fitted v. well.

I can't recommend Cavallitto too highly.
Nick
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd