Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 April, 2024, 09:58:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's easy when you know a good Vintner  (Read 2895 times)
thecolonel
« on: 18 March, 2011, 05:07:47 PM »

After 2 years, ten thousand miles and being aware of the paranoia regarding Gamma engines
I decided to change the timing belts, the oil and probably the filter...

Actually there appeared to be an oil leak from the oil pump area so I had to investigate anyway.
Gamma oil & water pumps are stuck on the outside of the engine so not an enormous task.

Anyway, armed with 2 spanners, a socket, a hammer and a rather good Burgundy I set about the
task. Drain coolant, sip, remove rad, sip, belt covers, sip metal water pipe, sip, and drain oil. Rest.

Part two: Fetch another bottle, lock timing sprockets, remove belts, two sips (forgot one) remove
oil pump, install spare oil pump, sip, refit belts, sip sip, this is harder than I thought, refill oil and
test run engine, slurp, refit other bits, fill water, notice the oil pump drive belt runs slightly off the
end of the tensioner. Rethink. Time for a drink and some quiet contemplation......

Decide it would be best to use old oil pump after replacing the worn seal.

Slight problem, no-one has a suitable pulley to remove the abs/nylon pulley, after a bit of head-scatching
and realising the old pump was useless without the seal, I place a 42mm socket around the impeller
and use a large hammer and drift to knock the impeller through the pulley, replace the seal £1.26 and
attempt to put the pulley back, my vice won't even try and it's a big vice, head down to a mates place
to use his press and return home  now it's a bit late in the day (14hrs) so I head back to the bar so I
can start nice and early the following day..................

thecolonel
« Reply #1 on: 18 March, 2011, 05:18:28 PM »

Following day - bright and early as planned (11hrs)

do all the things I did the day before (easier 2nd time around )
Remove rad, sip, mop up coolant, sip, should probably have done that before
removing rad, remove belt covers, belts etc. quaff, sip, slurp, take off previously mentioned bits
remove/replace oil pomp, sip, refat bellts, fill ool, sip, start engiine, all okey dokey dokey, sip,
put other bits and pieces, back fetch bootle, have a little drinky winky, inspect woork, ring my
batman from garge and demand more woine, go back to bar (13h30) jobby dune.
thecolonel
« Reply #2 on: 18 March, 2011, 05:24:31 PM »

Day three or four...

it appears that I may have left a teeny weeny bit of old gasket of the oil pump housing
which may account for the tensioner (part of the oil pump) running slightly offline.

original gasket just over 0.5 mm which apparently is enough to ofset the pump
no oil leaks due mainly to the smear of sealant I used on the new gasket.

Suprised me that this could be the reason, but a couple of local mechanics both thought
this to be the cause.

Geoff
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd