Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 01:51:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Headlight mot failure  (Read 7435 times)
John Simister
Lapsed

« Reply #15 on: 03 March, 2011, 05:37:44 PM »

No problem with my LHD low-headlight S2. Headlight height doesn't seem to concern the MOT man, only dazzle and correct dip direction. I have RHD outer lights, unfortunately not single filament H1 items as per original because I couldn't find any with a RHD dip pattern. So I use just the dipped filament in the H4 bulb, and when I switch to main beam the outer lights don't change but the inner ones illuminate on their high beam.

On my last car, same headlamp configuration as this one and also a low-light LHD S2, I wired it so the outer main beam filaments also came on, which meant that the H4 bulbs had both filaments going on high beam to make a total of six light sources. I did fear for the wiring, though, and the outer lights got a bit hot. So I haven't done it this time around.

John
John Simister
Lapsed

« Reply #16 on: 03 March, 2011, 05:44:32 PM »

All of which makes me wonder - in original UK spec, with the outer lights doing both dip and main, does the dip filament go out when the main beam comes on? And which filament does the flasher activate? It activates dipped beam on my car rather than the usual main beam. Clearly the wiring is different between my originally Italian-market car and a UK one, but how different? Is the dip switch the same?

John
thecolonel
« Reply #17 on: 03 March, 2011, 07:41:45 PM »

Twin Filament bulbs are usually wired via a changeover relay and switch between dip/main,
if you have single filament then inner and out lamps should illuminate together on main beam (main & dip)

Geoff

Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #18 on: 03 March, 2011, 09:30:03 PM »

John, I replaced my H1 units to Cibie H4 outers (RHD) when the original units became unserviceable as you have had done and as one was LHD and the other RHD.  I wired the main beam filaments of the H4 units to the the inner mains, new H1 units, with suitable relays, in fact wired in a new relay for each pair of beams with a good earth to ensure 12v at the bulb which makes a great improvement.

The flash operates the dip beam only (I think!).

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd