Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 02:17:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SII Coupe handles, sound-proofing.  (Read 2721 times)
lanciab20
President

« on: 04 January, 2011, 04:55:50 PM »

Happy New Year!
Does anyone have for disposal a pair of SII Coupe exterior door handles in vg condition?
Any recommendations for sound-deadening material for use in boot/on rear wheel arches/behind rear seat?
Regards
LanciAlan
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 12 January, 2011, 04:02:54 PM »

Sorry - I only came here to see what sort of noise the handles might be making! I don't have any spare ones.

Re sound deadening, I have tried different things:

Traditional domestic carpet underlay (seems to come in thicknesses of up to an inch or more)  I have used this under the boot floor rubber mat and on other horizontal surfaces - problem is its not waterproof, soaks any water that gets in and doesn't work well with glue or on vertical surfaces as it tends to separate from itself.

Rubber domestic carpet underlay solves the water retention and glue adhesion problems but is quite expensive (when you can't find any in a skip) and also quite heavy. I have used this on the floor under the carpet.

My Flavia coupe has thin black fabric glued to the wheel arches and inner wings. I didn't realise this was original until I saw it on someone elses. Its a bit Blue Peter and I doubt it is anything more than cosmetic.

If I had a sound problem (I do have sound but its not a problem as I don't mind the noise of my exhaust!) I would be looking at something thicker such as traditional carpet underlay but in synthetic form that does not retain water. I would shape and glue patches of this to the arches and inside wings and paint over them in matt black water resistant paint to match the inner boot area surface. You see this on more modern cars - usually painted over in body colour - the size of the patches (from little squares here and there to full coverage) seems to vary with the value of the car!

I understand and imagine that having a good thickness of body sealant on the outer side of the wheelarches and underbody  in general can also help.

Alan Murphy

Lancias that begin with "F" ... and affordable variants beginning with "Z" and "P" ..... and now with added "Y"!
lanciab20
President

« Reply #2 on: 14 February, 2011, 12:10:01 PM »

Thanks Alan.  Sorry to be so long in replying.  I have carpet underlay under the floor mats, and it does make a difference.  I want to do the bootlid, interior of the rear wings and wheel arches, as well as the rear  of the back seat.  There are many products on the market - I would prefer to go on a recommendation.
Regards.
LanciAlan
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 15 February, 2011, 10:13:02 PM »

of course

Alan Murphy

Lancias that begin with "F" ... and affordable variants beginning with "Z" and "P" ..... and now with added "Y"!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd