Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:39:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What the .... were they thinking?  (Read 11049 times)
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #15 on: 12 February, 2011, 11:27:33 AM »

Even with RAC recovery cover there's motivation to keep going to a good place to have the break down so the art isn't entirely lost. 

Of course its human nature to replace one lost challange with another hence the rise in popularity of long distance classic car / modern banger rallies.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #16 on: 17 February, 2011, 09:28:08 AM »

Following on the theme of improvised repairs. At a Crystal Palace sprint meeting about ten years ago there was a very flimsy but quick Austin Seven Special. After one run the driver opened the bonnet to see that the belt connecting front pulley to a light-weight plastic fan was missing. He took the thin leather shoe lace from one of his shoes tied a neat knot and fitted it in place – looked odd, but it worked. I think the man’s name was David Laver.

Colin
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #17 on: 17 February, 2011, 01:01:30 PM »

At Cadwell Park the scruitneer didn't like the leather gaiters sealing round the peddles inspite of several others having passed it before.  Some aluminium was "found" (I think it said CASTROL on the other side) and he realised he was going to have to pass the result of that half hour or I'd be back again and again and again.  He didn't like the mudguard stays either but we settled on having them removed and still run as a sports car as long as I promised not to win anything - and as I've said before I'm blessed that that's not my concern but am content to "make up the numbers".

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #18 on: 17 February, 2011, 01:17:23 PM »

Okay, when we were young...

Here's one of Jonathan Reeve keeping his spider going during the first Lancia Centenary in 1981.  It had a cylinder head gasket leak and for 2 days at least, at every stop he pumped the water out the cylinder by cranking the engine by hand.

(That's Kent Wakeford's Casaro spider in the background.)

* J Reeve Spider repairs.jpg (45.18 KB, 481x336 - viewed 357 times.)

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #19 on: 18 February, 2011, 06:39:05 AM »

So, what to do when your Appia’s windscreen demister air duct is facing the wrong direction – away from the heater pipes? (Strictly a matter of [misguided] opinion, you understand.  Could this be the handywork of someone at Pininfarina, Viotti or Ellesa perhaps?)

Well, just weld up the existing inlet, and add a new flange on, and then drill some holes to let the air through – of course!

I still have no idea what was wrong with Lancia’s original invention in the first place, and have returned it to spec…

* Air vent - w flange mod.jpg (26.36 KB, 410x307 - viewed 354 times.)

* Air vent - how to let air through.jpg (21.64 KB, 410x307 - viewed 343 times.)

* Air vent - returned to Lancia spec.jpg (22.45 KB, 410x307 - viewed 336 times.)

Guy McDougall
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #20 on: 18 February, 2011, 11:39:29 AM »

So, what to do when your Appia’s windscreen demister air duct is facing the wrong direction – away from the heater pipes? (Strictly a matter of [misguided] opinion, you understand.  Could this be the handywork of someone at Pininfarina, Viotti or Ellesa perhaps?)

Well, just weld up the existing inlet, and add a new flange on, and then drill some holes to let the air through – of course!

I still have no idea what was wrong with Lancia’s original invention in the first place, and have returned it to spec…

What a lash up Shocked

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Betaboy2.0
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #21 on: 18 February, 2011, 07:37:49 PM »

When I bought my silver Gamma saloon (now Harvey's) the O/S/R electric window didn't work. Not unsurprising, but all the other electric windows worked with a gusto i had never previously experienced on Gamma. So, I set too.

Wiring into the centre console was ok, but when I took the switch out of the OSR door, there were no wires attached. "Ahh" thinks I. "Wires dropped off switch - simples". So I took the door card off. Then the problem wa revealed in all its glory.

Not only were there no wires onto the switch, but there was no regulator or motor in the door and the window was held in the "up" position courtesy of a brick and a length of wood. Thankfully, as one does, I had a spare Gamma OSR regulator and motor in the garage!

Andy

'73 Beta 1600 S1 Berlina
'79 Beta 2000 S2fl Automatic Berlina
'80 Beta 2000ES S2 Berlina
'83 Beta 1600 S3 Berlina
'79 Gamma 2500 S1 Berlina
'82 Gamma 2500 S1 Coupe
'85 Gamma 2500 S2 Berlina
'82 Delta 1500
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #22 on: 19 February, 2011, 12:51:37 PM »

When I bought my Beta 2000ie many years ago it wasn't that old a car. After some weeks the drivers seat became a bit uncomfortable. Looking under the seat I found a piece of 2x4 timber. If this was removed and you sat in the seat you found yourself pretty much on the floor. I got used to it after that and the wood was still there when I sold the car a couple of years later!

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #23 on: 21 February, 2011, 11:37:59 AM »

With the Aurelia the seats were mounted to wooden blocks then the floor.  Having the machinery I was able to adjust said blocks and get the seat JUST right before getting the original seat mounts replaced, reinforced, modifed to take Fulvia seats, then adaptors to the racing buckets to swap in and out. 

One of my regrets with that car was never having a try with the original bench back in...  Its amazing how much of the character of a car comes from the seat and its position.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #24 on: 22 February, 2011, 06:16:58 AM »

Not only were there no wires onto the switch, but there was no regulator or motor in the door and the window was held in the "up" position courtesy of a brick and a length of wood. Thankfully, as one does, I had a spare Gamma OSR regulator and motor in the garage!

Andy

Andy, I did the same with my Thema's one window while I was fixing the winder mechanism - held it up with a chunk of wood for a week or two!   Grin

Guy McDougall
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #25 on: 22 February, 2011, 09:22:54 AM »

Andy

Andy, I did the same with my Thema's one window while I was fixing the winder mechanism - held it up with a chunk of wood for a week or two!   Grin

A time honoured method, old Austin 10 I had as a teenager had this a a permanent method of controlling opening the window with wedge.
Just as well the photos not in coloour as it was hand pinted in Lilac and Black!

Brian
8227 Cool

* Me & Austin 10 at TA copy.jpg (230.63 KB, 650x445 - viewed 353 times.)

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #26 on: 23 February, 2011, 06:32:37 AM »

I've seen some horrible battery trays and boxes in my time, but this has to take first prize.

Once again it's from our black Montecarlo, and is shown AFTER scraping away a coffee mug full of sulphate crystals.

Note too the wonderfully dodgy add-on headlamp relay, all because the electrics weren't properly earthed.  Huh?

* Monte battery box.jpg (31.29 KB, 410x307 - viewed 343 times.)

Guy McDougall
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd