Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:41:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bore honing  (Read 8816 times)
zagatoboy
« on: 30 January, 2011, 01:21:30 PM »

I've been advised to use a 'Glaze busting honing machine' on the block of my Fulvia before putting the pistons back in, it's not been rebored and is original, has anyone ever done this to a Fulvia?
zagatoboy
« Reply #1 on: 30 January, 2011, 01:39:32 PM »

Just found the following;

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
OK I'm gonna get flames for this but you can look it up in the SAE (society of automotive engineers) and they back me up 110%. DO NOT hone any cylinder that has not been bored. Honing is meant only for removing the marks left behind a cutting tool. There is no such thing as "GLAZE" anyone who says so is seriously misinformed. The need for honing a perfectly good cylinder is an urban myth. It will NOT help the rings seat. It will NOT provide any benefit. It is a complete waste of time, effort,money and new parts. It will increase wear on the piston and new rings, fowl your crankcase with metal shavings and just generally phuk up a good engine. Read the below, meditate on it and do the homework before ya flame me. Done over 50 rebuilds with out ever putting a hone to a cylinder with 0, count 'em 0 failures.
Sorry Choppy but I had to disagree with ya on this one. buy a a beer in C.C. to make up for it.
All ya all get a thumbs down from me (flame suit on) :-)
Source(s):
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/gFZmSjLihg2
2 years ago Report Abuse

Guess i'll leave it alone, we never used to do this on rebuilds and just thought it might help.
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 30 January, 2011, 02:26:36 PM »

hi Tony, i thought the 'crosshatch' honing pattern was to keep oil on the bores for good lubrication of the rings.i have always done it.what do the makers of the tool have to say i wonder?best regards richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 30 January, 2011, 04:22:11 PM »

hi Tony, i thought the 'crosshatch' honing pattern was to keep oil on the bores for good lubrication of the rings.i have always done it.what do the makers of the tool have to say i wonder?best regards richard

Have a look at this video 2min .45 sec in.
http://www.pacehigh.co.uk/page3423/flex-hone-video.aspx
Brian

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
OckaPete
« Reply #4 on: 30 January, 2011, 05:42:40 PM »

I would hone it, Iv been told by guys who have rebuilt a few more than 50 engines the cross hatch / oil thing is correct. Besides I would not believe anyone who has to resort to using "110% " to backup there claim. There just seems to be a whiff of Pykie in the whole statement.
(don't want to upset anyone) Pete
zagatoboy
« Reply #5 on: 30 January, 2011, 06:08:56 PM »

I think i'll hone it, as the block is in situ with the crank inside i'm going to see if i can rent a machine just to take the glaze off.
phil-m
Lapsed

« Reply #6 on: 30 January, 2011, 08:03:20 PM »

Are you fitting new rings? After an engine has run there is a glaze of burnt hydrocarbons on the bore walls. This will make it difficult to achieve a good seal with new rings. A honing tool will remove this and produce (when used correctly) a cross hatched surface finish which aids the retention of oil on the bore wall. Glaze busters are just very fine honers. There is a real trick to using them though, you need to move the drill up and down the bore very quickly, it is also important to make sure none of the metallic sludge produced gets onto the crank and that the bores are thoroughly cleaned afterwards. For info I honed the bores on my Flavia and was very happy with the result.
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #7 on: 30 January, 2011, 08:33:53 PM »

I'd agree with Phil, I had mine honed prior to fitting new rings (standard practice in my experience) on a proper honing machine - but I had the engine completely in bits.

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
zagatoboy
« Reply #8 on: 30 January, 2011, 09:26:15 PM »

Is this the tool i will need?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120672487678&category=30917&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619
rogerelias
Rebel Poster

MY 1600HF IN HEARTBEAT GARAGE

« Reply #9 on: 30 January, 2011, 10:24:41 PM »

Yep, that'll do the job, i've had one for years. Cool

FULVIA 1600HF LUSSO
1958 VELOCETTE MAC
Triumph Bonneville t120v 1972
1968 MGC ROADSTER
1958 Series 2 Appia berlina
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 30 January, 2011, 11:52:20 PM »

Or look at the type in the video I gave the link to, I have no idea what they cost but I like the idea that it's self adjusting.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
zagatoboy
« Reply #11 on: 31 January, 2011, 07:43:58 AM »

Hi Brian,
Thanks for the link, I have contacted them but it appears that the largest tool they do is 79mm and the bore size is 82mm so i'll see if they have a slightly larger version and the cost.
Thanks,
Tony.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 31 January, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »

Interesting link with a couple of extra tips.

http://www.guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1128

David Laver, Lewisham.
zagatoboy
« Reply #13 on: 31 January, 2011, 03:23:21 PM »

Thanks for all the comments, decided to go with the flex-hone from the company Brian sent a link to, seems very easy and really for removing glaze as opposed to a re-bored block that needs honing.
£56 + vat for the size i need and can be re-used over a 100 times, shame i only need to use it once but if anyone else is doing the same as me you're welcome to borrow it.
Tony. Smiley
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 31 January, 2011, 03:28:55 PM »

Tony,

I am sure that's the right thing to do. Good luck with it.

Are you going to fit new rings? If so, do you have a good source that you might share with us?

Thanks,

Colin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd