Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 10:25:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Flavia  (Read 11621 times)
Niels Jonassen

« Reply #15 on: 16 January, 2011, 04:10:39 PM »

The question is: What is a Lancia? - and for that matter: What is a Chrysler? In the case of Lancia you'll find at least three different schools. First those who are only interested in the early Lancias up to and possibly including the Fulvia. Next come the Beta boys and those who care for the Delta Integrales. Finally there are the Thema, Lybra, Thesis, Ypsilon segment. To the first group Lancia is an expensive vehicle for the few and wealthy. To the next Lancia is a sporting vehicle, and the last group see it as a middle class car slightly more ambitious than the run of the mill cars. It is not easy to target those three groups in one go, so possibly Fiat is just trying to find a fourth group to sell cars to. Those who may have heard that Lancia is something special - or used to be - and who are tired of being seen in a BMW or an Audi; that is getting a bit boring and ordinary.
HF_Dave
Megaposter

Rust , What Rust !! I don't See any rust !!!

« Reply #16 on: 16 January, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »

Whatever about a Chrysler badged as a Lancia, the delta was and is still a fiat engineered Lancia. I woulden't mind driving a re-badged Chrysler Delta as I Drive Fiat engineered Lancias. Most of my Lancia Collection is made up of Fiat group cars Grin

My Current Cars:

1991 Thema station wagon
1989 Thema 16v
2011 Lancia Delta 3

1977 Beta sedan 2000
1975 Fulvia S3 1.3
1973 Flavia HF 2000 Coupe
1972 Fulvia S2 1.3
1989 Thema 8.32
**Other Makes**
2018 Alfa Giulia
1999 Alfa 156
2009 Fiat Du
toby2449
« Reply #17 on: 16 January, 2011, 08:55:25 PM »

Lots of forums are debating the whole Lancia/Chrysler merger. Lots of Lancia fans aren't happy folk! however Lancia last year sold 99k cars, lancia need new products & they need them fast, Ypsilon is old & Delta is a sales flop.

Ok new Ypsilon is a pure Lancia product, but if the Chrysler tie-up wasn't in place then there'd be nothing else new for Lancia. So in Geneva we'll see new Thema, Phedra, Flavia & Ypsilon, therefore Lancia stands a chance of actually growing. Its not an ideal merger, far from it, but Lancia need cars to sell, they need to grow, & need to show FGA that any future investment on new products should come their way!

As i've said here before, when Chrysler launch Delta in Ireland I'll be going for a test drive & maybe buy one, changing the badges ofcourse!
fensaddler
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #18 on: 17 January, 2011, 01:17:45 PM »

Lots of forums are debating the whole Lancia/Chrysler merger. Lots of Lancia fans aren't happy folk! however Lancia last year sold 99k cars, lancia need new products & they need them fast, Ypsilon is old & Delta is a sales flop.

Ok new Ypsilon is a pure Lancia product, but if the Chrysler tie-up wasn't in place then there'd be nothing else new for Lancia. So in Geneva we'll see new Thema, Phedra, Flavia & Ypsilon, therefore Lancia stands a chance of actually growing. Its not an ideal merger, far from it, but Lancia need cars to sell, they need to grow, & need to show FGA that any future investment on new products should come their way!

As i've said here before, when Chrysler launch Delta in Ireland I'll be going for a test drive & maybe buy one, changing the badges ofcourse!

I'm with you.  I'll judge the cars on their merits as cars, first and foremost.  In these days of platform sharing and joint ventures, marques are much less 'unique', and its very difficult, in all honesty, to define a marque beyond brand definitions.  Not perhaps what everyone wants, but you're right, Lancia needs products to survive, and the larger end of the Chrysler range is the better stuff - note that its the smaller stuff, Delta and below, that Lancia is using Italian engineered platforms for - this replaces poor standard Chrysler stuff such as the Sebring.  In truth, FGA (Fiat, Alfa or Lancia) hasn't done well in market terms with larger platforms anyway (however much you love the Thesis, it has stiffed in sales terms), so it probably makes sense to use platforms from a manufacturer that has had more success in the larger car and full size MPV segments.  Romanticism is fine for the old cars, but right now what is needed is hard commercial realism.

Chris Owen
1987 Delta 1.3LX
2012 Skoda Yeti 112TSi 4WD
Paul Greenway
Megaposter

« Reply #19 on: 17 January, 2011, 02:17:57 PM »

Its all very embarrassing, at least "Fiat" Lancia's only shared the platforms (Zeta/Phedra excepted) with their Alfa and Fiat counterparts, surely this collaboration cannot work for either company, however like others I am prepared to wait and see what actually develops prior to any condemnation, you never know we may be surprised.

Let's remember manufacturers these days just want to sell cars, there is no passion, heart, soul or heritage any more unless you are in the supercar class and reporters/testers only praise practical, efficient and green cars with a few extra points if they go around corners too-its what 90% of the car buying public believe they want, thankfully the new Stratos is something to shout about, lets hope it does get a production run and my numbers come up trumps!

1972 Fulvia Sport 1600

Previous- 78 Montecarlo, 83 HPE VX, 88 integrale, 89 Delta GTie, 90 Y10GTie, 90 Dedra 2.0ieSE, 91 HF Turbo, 91 integrale 16v, 09 Thesis Centenario, 12 Delta 2.0M-J
j886atv

« Reply #20 on: 17 January, 2011, 04:24:51 PM »

Its all very embarrassing, at least "Fiat" Lancia's only shared the platforms (Zeta/Phedra excepted) with their Alfa and Fiat counterparts, surely this collaboration cannot work for either company,

May I point out you've missed the Thema - it could be argued it shared with Saab too.
Alfa's have been doing this for a while - the v6 engine currently being used is a GM derived unit - so FGA are collaborating all over the place
Paul Greenway
Megaposter

« Reply #21 on: 18 January, 2011, 08:00:38 AM »

I thought only the doors were shared between the Thema & 9000. All four type 4 cars although a collaboration were very different at launch, the Alfa being the most striking although I do not think it has aged as well, the Croma and 9000 both being hatches, although Saab did release a 4-dr 9000 later in its products run. Perhaps I should have mentioned the Delta/Saab 600, anyway back then both Lancia and Saab had masses of credibility.

1972 Fulvia Sport 1600

Previous- 78 Montecarlo, 83 HPE VX, 88 integrale, 89 Delta GTie, 90 Y10GTie, 90 Dedra 2.0ieSE, 91 HF Turbo, 91 integrale 16v, 09 Thesis Centenario, 12 Delta 2.0M-J
Thotos
Administrator
Megaposter

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #22 on: 18 January, 2011, 11:00:35 AM »

.... In the case of Lancia you'll find at least three different schools. First those who are only interested in the early Lancias up to and possibly including the Fulvia. Next come the Beta boys and those who care for the Delta Integrales. Finally there are the Thema, Lybra, Thesis, Ypsilon segment.

You forgot about the Gamma?  Huh? I think you'll find there's a few of us who think the Gamma was one of the great Lancias and the last "true" Lancia!  Grin Grin Grin

Theo Kyriacou
thecolonel
« Reply #23 on: 18 January, 2011, 11:23:15 AM »

You tell them Theo.
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #24 on: 18 January, 2011, 03:33:33 PM »

I was driving home from the morning school run yesterday (in my Thema, naturally), and ended up behind a Chrysler 300C at a traffic light, and I thought, well at least they've built a large, V8, rear-wheel drive car which is something Lancia hasn't done in a very LONG while.  Cry

I'm with Chris on this one - let's wait and see...

Or perhaps instead, let's have jolly wake, and cheer when the Lancia name is dead forever.  Just imagine what that would do for the value of all our Lancias.  Grin

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
toby2449
« Reply #25 on: 18 January, 2011, 07:47:31 PM »

good point ya bring up there, big Lancia's are now going to be RWD!!! Imagine the fun to be had in one!!!!
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #26 on: 19 January, 2011, 06:25:07 AM »

Toby, you're right.  I think that despite all the negativity, Chrysler might just be good fit with Lancia.

I mean, Daimler Benz thought they were good enough to merge with at one time, and even paid a premium for the privelege...

Just imagine what Audi could do to Lancia - like what they've done to Lamborghini!  Roll Eyes

Love them or loathe them, Chrysler were a very good name once, and not so long ago wowed Detroit with some of their out-of-the-box thinking.  Sounds a lot like Lancia to me.

Here's hoping it's all good news in the future.

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #27 on: 20 January, 2011, 02:57:50 PM »

Don't forget as well that Lancia have been pronounced dead several times;  when Vincenzo died, when they stopped making sliding pillar suspension, when the Lancia family sold out to Pesenti (and he via Fessia introduced FWD cars), when Fiat took over, when Lancia withdrew from RHD. I'm sure we could think of some more. Unlike many famous British manufacturers the name Lancia still appears on new cars!

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
lee69
« Reply #28 on: 31 August, 2011, 07:34:10 PM »

It looks like the "new" Flavia is dead, at least in saloon form anyway. The Convertible is going to make it over to Europe by all accounts.

There's more info on today's Italiaspeed pages.

According to the article it's too costly to get a diesel engine to fit and would cost $15-20 million to re-engineer the Chrysler 200's headlights for the EU regulations!
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #29 on: 31 August, 2011, 07:40:44 PM »

That's what they told me at the geneva show

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd