Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 08:54:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inner Sills?  (Read 3923 times)
ah_sprite
Lapsed

« on: 12 January, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »

Hi all
I'm half way (ish!) through restoring my '75 Fulvia S3 Coupe. I've bought a pair of full length sills and subframe boxes from Bill Lewis as these parts were completely rotten on my car. However, I also acquired a set of what I was told to be inner sills. Now, these are about the length of the door, but I can't understand at all how to fit them, and if they should be there at all? When I cut the outer sills off my car, there was nothing of an inner sill to be seen anywhere. Am I missing something very, very obvious? I've attached a couple of pics of the car for your interest.

LanciAlan
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 12 January, 2011, 03:15:30 PM »

Hi

I can't see your pics but I gather they do not refer to the inner sills.

If I had a diagram I could show you but as far as I know, the inner sill is the main box section that you climb over to get into the car - it is pretty much a long regular shaped box about 4ins square running the length of the side of the car. However it only has 3 sides - the side facing outwards is open. The originals have a wavy pattern pressed into the inner side and a channel along the top side (maybe only on one side) for the wiring loom to run in.

The outer sill is like a cover for this missing side - also running the full length of the side of the car(but disappearing in behind the wing panel at each end - these "cone" ends do not feature on some replacement outer sills. The outer sill  is also an obviously shaped part in that it provides the curved exterior profile of the visible sill and also the small step that the bottom of the door sits into.

The inner and outer sills are joined at a very obvious flange (I think that is what a flange is!) that is hidden by the rubber doorframe trim on the upper side and another very obvious flange underneath which has the jacking points on it (if they are still there) - both flanges, again, running the full length of the sills.

I have no idea what the shape of the inner sills you got are but they may either be to repair all or part of the top and/or inner side and/or bottom (most likely) of the inner sill. The bottoms are the most common part to rust out and can easily be replaced on their own with flat steel.

A common modification when restoring these sills is to provide the missing side of the inner sill before the outer sill is applied - i.e.by applying a flat baffle between inner and outer sills, e aformentioned flanges now becomes a 3-layer sandwich - thus providing extra rigidity to the overall combined inner/outer box.

Oh for a photograph! I am sure someone has one somewhere!

In fact I just googled "Fulvia Sill" and found some. And then I noticed they were of my Irish mate Kev's long-running Fanalone project!

There are two pictures of the 3-sided inner sill box as revealed with the outer removed and then you can see the outer sill fitted but with the cones hidden behind the wing sections.

Result!

* Inner Sill.jpg (109.51 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 868 times.)

* Inner Sill 2.jpg (111.18 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 660 times.)

* Outer Sill.jpg (103.82 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 640 times.)
« Last Edit: 12 January, 2011, 03:22:41 PM by LanciAlan » Logged

Alan Murphy

Lancias that begin with "F" ... and affordable variants beginning with "Z" and "P" ..... and now with added "Y"!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd