Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 05:47:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spotted on Ebay, Not Snow Chains, for Lancia Made in Italy  (Read 9357 times)
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #15 on: 21 December, 2010, 11:24:44 PM »

My snow belts have arrived today  Grin  I haven't had time to try them on the car yet, but they look incredibly easy to fit.  The belts are a hard wearing type of plastic for the strap and a more rubberised plastic for the part that contacts the ground.  Overall, initial impressions are that it is a good quality item.  Hopefully I will get time to fit them tomorrow and I will post a photo with them fitted to one of the cars!

That'll be good, hope mine turn up tomorrow as we're promised more snow for thursday, I had to go out today, being I'm retired something I don't do unless necessary, and was appalled at the state of the roads considing we haven't had any snow to speak of since saturday.
That's 3 of us ordered them so far, has anyone else?

Brian
8227 Cool

Brian

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
stuwilson128
Non-LMC Seller
Rebel Poster

« Reply #16 on: 22 December, 2010, 08:27:13 PM »

I fitted two of the belts to the Delta this morning.  I have to say that they are incredibly easy and quick to fit.  Each belt took less than a minute to fit and remove.  I found that if you are fitting them to the front wheels, it is much easier to turn the wheels so better access is achieved.  Next thing will be to try driving with them one!

* DSC_0253r.jpg (423.38 KB, 1286x854 - viewed 373 times.)

Stuart Wilson 11175
1973 Fulvia Coupe 1.3
2000 Lybra SW 2.4JTd
2009 Delta 1.9 Twin Turbo
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #17 on: 22 December, 2010, 10:21:37 PM »

Look good Stuart, thanks for the fitting tips,mine turned up this afternoon so I'll try fitting them and trying them out tomorrow.
Six might be a bit of overkill on your wheels, looks like 5 will do for even spacing.
Brian
8227 Cool
« Last Edit: 22 December, 2010, 10:25:29 PM by fay66 » Logged

Dedra Technical Adviser
stuwilson128
Non-LMC Seller
Rebel Poster

« Reply #18 on: 25 January, 2013, 08:26:01 PM »

Well, after having my Jeko snow belts for two years, I have finally used them!  Conditions in West Cumbria tonight were incredibly slippery due to the amount of snow which came down.  I put two on each wheel and I have to say that I was impressed with the increase in grip.  You could tell that they were fitted as at slow speeds you could feel the wheels judder as they ran over the belts.  I definitely felt more confident driving in the conditions with the belts fitted  Smiley

Stuart Wilson 11175
1973 Fulvia Coupe 1.3
2000 Lybra SW 2.4JTd
2009 Delta 1.9 Twin Turbo
SanRemo78
Rebel Poster

« Reply #19 on: 25 January, 2013, 09:09:20 PM »

I've fitted a set of Continental Winter tyres this year, Andrea has been suggesting it for few years now as they are obligatory in Germany and make a difference.

Seeing as I already had a spare set of rims for the Fiat Punto Sporting the outlay wasn't too bad - £628 for four tyres fitted/balanced - which sounds a lot but think about it this way, they are about the same price as a Summer tyre and you can only wear out one set of tyres at a time. The only downside is having to store four wheels/tyres.

Check out the link, it's what convinced me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elP_34ltdWI

Experience this last week on them has been great, definately a lot more grip than everyone else around me!

Guy

the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #20 on: 25 January, 2013, 09:29:05 PM »

I have a set of winter tyres on the Transit and they have transformed it. Last year I was beaten by but one hill, an ice covered road up the cliff in Leigh-on-Sea instead of being a huge embarrassment on even a slight slope!! They are a lot cheaper than the extra cost of a 4 wheel drive vehicle and, as was pointed out by my Land Rover driving brother-in-law, 4 wheel drive does not improve your braking!!!!!!

They are better than 'summer' tyres at 7C or less. I consider the hierarchy for traction from rubbish to great is ...

1) 2 wheel drive summer tyres
2) 4 wheel drive summer tyres
3) 2 wheel drive winter tyres
4) 4 wheel drive winter tyres

You should always have 4 winter tyres, having just 2 is dangerous, although I have a summer tyre as spare in the winter and a winter tyre as spare in the summer. I informed my insurance company in case it was regarded as a modification, they simply said thank you, but is I feel, a worthwhile precaution.

Andy
Zagato

« Reply #21 on: 25 January, 2013, 09:46:52 PM »

I too can vouch for winter tyres ...

I have used Winter tyres in Norway at -22, the Norweigans have banned chains I believe because they caused too much damage to the roads
They give amazing grip on frozen snow/ice roads

I have also used them in the Italian Alps ... and they were very impressive ... however the Italians do insist you carry chains by law irrespective of your vehicle being  2WD or 4WD ... and irrespective of having Winter tyres fitted or not

Many of the trucks/buses in Italy do fit chains mind

The big benefit though is that you can fit them and forget them for 5/6 months ... fitting chains or other similar devices at the side of the road in a blizzard is no joke ... and having to remove them when you hit clean roads again is a pain ... worth the extra money you pay for snow tyres in my opinion

The only thing I can say is that you will often find that they fit a smaller diameter, higher sidewall and narrower tyre than the standard one supplied with the car

And I dare say some tyres perform better than others ...

I suppose the time to buy them is the summer ... when demand is low!!!
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #22 on: 25 January, 2013, 09:59:27 PM »

Well, after having my Jeko snow belts for two years, I have finally used them!  Conditions in West Cumbria tonight were incredibly slippery due to the amount of snow which came down.  I put two on each wheel and I have to say that I was impressed with the increase in grip.  You could tell that they were fitted as at slow speeds you could feel the wheels judder as they ran over the belts.  I definitely felt more confident driving in the conditions with the belts fitted  Smiley

Still haven't needed to use mine yet as being retired if it's bad I don't bother to go out, but I have had a trial fit and they're in the boot if required, must admit though I was impressed with the report on the winter tyres below, just a matter of the cost of the tyres, and if you don't have a spares set of wheels getting them changed back in the summer, plus the problem of where to store the set your not using!
Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd