Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 05:29:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spotted on Ebay, Not Snow Chains, for Lancia Made in Italy  (Read 9421 times)
fay66
Permanent resident

« on: 18 December, 2010, 02:14:04 AM »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SNOW-CHAINS-SEAT-RENAULT-SKODA-MAZDA-LANCIA-NISSAN-NEW-/330501233041?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4cf3689991

Have a look at the video, features a New Delta, Just what you need Stuart, not cheap but look sturdy, I had something similar about 10 years ago but only Plastic with no metal grips and pretty poor construction compared to these which soon wore out. These have 6 for each wheel so they should be able to keep you moving, my old ones were only 1 per wheel but it was enough to get me moving while many others were stuck.
Seriously thinking of getting a set as if the snow keeps up we'll need something.
Only problem will be is how long they take to arrive from Italy.
I have now found a couple of UK stockists but need to find out if they currently have stock.

Brian
8227 Cool
« Last Edit: 18 December, 2010, 03:30:12 AM by fay66 » Logged

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
stuwilson128
Non-LMC Seller
Rebel Poster

« Reply #1 on: 18 December, 2010, 03:39:35 PM »

Thanks for posting this Brian.  After watching the video, I am convinced and have ordered some from www.outdoorbits.com.  Once they arrive, I will let you know what they are like.

Stuart Wilson 11175
1973 Fulvia Coupe 1.3
2000 Lybra SW 2.4JTd
2009 Delta 1.9 Twin Turbo
fensaddler
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 18 December, 2010, 07:46:28 PM »

Good Lord - is that still the acceptable way to present gender relationships in Italy?  No wonder they still like Berlusconi...  Its like being back in the seventies...

Chris Owen
1987 Delta 1.3LX
2012 Skoda Yeti 112TSi 4WD
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 19 December, 2010, 12:32:12 AM »

Thanks for posting this Brian.  After watching the video, I am convinced and have ordered some from www.outdoorbits.com.  Once they arrive, I will let you know what they are like.

Stuart,

Snap Grin at £101 including delivery they're £18 cheaper than buying them on ebay, which have to come from Italy, I've been looking for something like this for weeks, but it wasn't until I found the Jeko on ebay (and not where I expected to find it) I had a product name that I could chase down in the UK.
 Good thing is you know they will fit your Delta!
Did you have a look at some of the other offerings?
Another one for the short list was http://www.rud.com/en/produkte/schneeketten/schneeketten1/hightech_textil_stahl.html
It's a textile based one but has a mono filament with steel wire wrapped around it, certainly worth a look and by all accounts will survive up to about 120kms distance on a dry road surface, last a lot longer than the fabric versions, and is dead easy to fit, some of the other options shown in the youtube clips made me laugh as you could see the Dolly fitting them had got to a difficult bit where she was really tugging hard to fit them over the tyre, so they cut to where she was just finishing off, you could imagine once the camera was turned off, some burly fitter diving in and pulling them into place. And they only showed her fitting one!
Like yourself after seeing the video I was really convinced, they have really thought through the tightening and and the ease of removal, as well as keeping the ends of the straps secure and out of the way.
Pity they don't make these or chains compulsory for artics, yet again it was on the traffic news that more roads were blocked by Jack knifed artics, it would make more sense if all the lorries were pulled to one side before they blocked the roads, to allow the snow ploughs and gritters through before they got stuck.

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 19 December, 2010, 12:35:14 AM »

Good Lord - is that still the acceptable way to present gender relationships in Italy?  No wonder they still like Berlusconi...  Its like being back in the seventies...

Bit of good old fashioned MCP at work,  Italian young ladies don't seem to mind being the centre of attraction though.

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
thecolonel
« Reply #5 on: 19 December, 2010, 12:41:53 AM »

When I was in transport none of my drivers left the yard in winter without snowchains.
Most of Europe insist on snow/winter tyres and/or chains. I remember in France winter
tyres were quite cheap because they were classed as a necessity.

fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 19 December, 2010, 12:57:50 AM »

When I was in transport none of my drivers left the yard in winter without snowchains.
Most of Europe insist on snow/winter tyres and/or chains. I remember in France winter
tyres were quite cheap because they were classed as a necessity.

Geoff,
It's been reported by the AA that some insurance companies here won't insure you, or up the premium due to it being a modification!

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 19 December, 2010, 12:31:44 PM »

My everyday drive is a Transit (don't ask!!!) and last year it was horrendous in the snow and ice. This year I've had 4 winter tyres fitted, the transformation is astonishing. I expected an improvement but have been amazed at the change. They are better than 'normal' tyres in any conditions, snow, ice, wet or dry asphalt whenever the road surface is 7degrees C or lower, so I anticipate keeping them on until March (God forbid I still need them in May !!!!)

I thoroughly recommend them, they're not cheap, about £360 for the Transit, but I need to keep moving and I cannot afford to get stuck. Also, compare that initial outlay with cost of just a minor bump, whether dealt with through insurance or not. If you're intending to keep your vehicle, or replace with a model with the same tyre size, then I think they are worth that outlay.

Food for thought.

Andy
thecolonel
« Reply #8 on: 19 December, 2010, 12:40:12 PM »

I have heard that Brian, but I don't think that applies to Trucks,
I've followed trucks using snow chains and it's some much easier
when they've broken the surface for you.

It does seem ridiculous that something that may help you avoid a
serious and costly accident is considered a modification or shall we
call it by it's real name " a profit generating meteorological event "

Sorry - way too sensible, I'm going back to the bar
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 19 December, 2010, 02:21:13 PM »

I have heard that Brian, but I don't think that applies to Trucks,
I've followed trucks using snow chains and it's some much easier
when they've broken the surface for you.

It does seem ridiculous that something that may help you avoid a
serious and costly accident is considered a modification or shall we
call it by it's real name " a profit generating meteorological event "

Sorry - way too sensible, I'm going back to the bar

Geoff,
I used to drive HGV's a long time ago with lots of experience with Artics including car transporters and 8 wheelers, and Artics have always been a pain in the backside when it comes to no traction in the snow and very prone to Jack Knifing. As for lorries with snow chains, I must admit I can't ever remembering seeing any fitted with snowchains.
But it would certainly help if they did.

Brian
8227 Cool

* BRS 617CTM with Envoys & Sherwoods.JPG (61.71 KB, 469x264 - viewed 366 times.)

Dedra Technical Adviser
thecolonel
« Reply #10 on: 19 December, 2010, 07:23:21 PM »

Brian,

I don't think they had invented snowchains when your vehicle was current..... ;-})

Seriously though,  all the trucks I was involved with were international.

Mont Blanc was the best con, if you arrived at the tunnel entrance French side with
chains  they would ring through to the Italian side, who would fine you for not
having snow/winter tyres and if you arrived on snow/winter tyres they would fine
you for not having chains, returning through the tunnel the Italians would phone
the French side  etc etc.  Nice little earner although you could always hand over
2 packets of cigarettes instead.

Geoff
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 20 December, 2010, 06:40:50 PM »

Last year in the Alps the inter resort shuttle bus got stuck despite having winter tyres. It took the driver about half an hour to fit big snow chains but it didn't get stuck again after that. The guy we were staying with had winter tyres on his Peugeot van which seemed pretty much un-stoppable. Anyone with a BMW had those fabric 'snow socks'. They seemed pretty good too.

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
lee69
« Reply #12 on: 20 December, 2010, 07:48:35 PM »

Just ordered a set of Jekos (£104 incl delivery from LA Leisure in Northants) - they seem like the best solution to needing something in the snow and having different size vehicles. I doubt if they'll arrive before the New Year, but our weather forecasters at the farm are predicting significant snowfall early next year, so I'm sure they'll get used.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 21 December, 2010, 12:21:57 AM »

Just ordered a set of Jekos (£104 incl delivery from LA Leisure in Northants) - they seem like the best solution to needing something in the snow and having different size vehicles. I doubt if they'll arrive before the New Year, but our weather forecasters at the farm are predicting significant snowfall early next year, so I'm sure they'll get used.

Hi Lee,
I ordered mine on Saturday from outdoorbits .com in Wood Green London, they notified me this morning they have been dispatched, and hopefully should be here tomorrow or Wednesday by Fed EX.
To be honest I couldn't be A---d  to worry about full chains,  I did consider the textile ones but I have reservations about how long they will last,  the Jeko's with 6 per wheel seem ideal for grip, especially now the latest version has metal cleats(plates) that contact the ice and snow, so they should dig into it quite nicely, and they say you can run on a tarmac surface without damage, I wouldn't want to do that for too long, but for use as shown in their video with a mix of snow & ice and hard road surface, they would seem to be a good compromise.

Brian
« Last Edit: 21 December, 2010, 12:24:48 AM by fay66 » Logged

Dedra Technical Adviser
stuwilson128
Non-LMC Seller
Rebel Poster

« Reply #14 on: 21 December, 2010, 09:54:34 PM »

My snow belts have arrived today  Grin  I haven't had time to try them on the car yet, but they look incredibly easy to fit.  The belts are a hard wearing type of plastic for the strap and a more rubberised plastic for the part that contacts the ground.  Overall, initial impressions are that it is a good quality item.  Hopefully I will get time to fit them tomorrow and I will post a photo with them fitted to one of the cars!

Stuart Wilson 11175
1973 Fulvia Coupe 1.3
2000 Lybra SW 2.4JTd
2009 Delta 1.9 Twin Turbo
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd