Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:01:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Y10 for daily commuting  (Read 15767 times)
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #15 on: 22 December, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »

My friend who was looking for a Y10 with an MOT as his runabout/commuter has just spent his money on a Reliant Scimitar with no MOT.  The trouble with all those old road tests is that they never get the true market place rivials lined up against each other.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
murf
Lapsed

« Reply #16 on: 31 March, 2011, 11:01:47 PM »

I have joined the exclusive and it would seem 'thin' ranks of Y10 ownership. The aforementioned is a metallic light blue 1.0 litre Fire LX and I have been chugging to and from work in it with a huge grin on my face, watching the apparently static petrol gauge in amazement.
The car has a longish MOT and is taxed until November so that should be long enough for us to get to each other. So far all I've done is put two Klebers on the front wheels, have the cambelt renewed and the water pump replaced as I was advised by the garage that with 115k on the clock the impeller might be tempted to part company from it's shaft.
Being a Y10 novice I would appreciate some advice on spares availability etc. Is there a spares consortium like the TDC or something similar?
The only fly in my ointment with this very sensible purchase is the ultimatum from my wife that a Lancia has to be sacrificed (ie sold) to make room for the new and essential commuter.Having recently ploughed large amounts of cash into both the Themas I have very reluctantly promised to attempt to sell my project Fulvia.
It has been pointed out to me that retirement is not on the agenda so there is'nt going to be any spare time to do the restoration and anyway if I'm not working how can I possibly consider spending   the sort of money required. I find myself sinking into a decline!!
Seriously though, I am terrifically impressed with the way the old thing goes on it's 999cc and the way it hangs on around the Suffolk lanes. Getting my 2m frame in and out has become easier with practice but I may have to modify the seat runners if possible to give me a bit more legroom.

Best regards, Murf.   
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #17 on: 01 April, 2011, 12:23:48 AM »

Murf,
Great little car particularily the 999cc Fire, we had a 1986 Fire that Diane loved, evetually sold but later on bought a Y10 GTie, went like stink but not as nice to drive as the fire, owing to the weight of cast iron lump up front and the wide tyres, so much so that she couldn't drive it as it was too heavy on the steering, and it certainly made my arms ache when pushing on.
For spares best bet is ebay Germany/Italy & holland, in general what you want sooner or later comes up, the one thing that was a pain to get hold of was a good tailgate.
If you need them anytime I have manuals covering all the RHD Y10's including the 4x4, now that!
Sorry to hear the Fulvia's got to go though.
Brian

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #18 on: 01 April, 2011, 08:20:56 PM »

Murf, you are a very lucky guy to be the owner of a Y10. I've owned 4, 3 with the FIRE engine and one being an ie. I really enjoyed the FIRE engined cars and used them a lot, although they were bought as first cars for my then teenage children. Very easy to work on and mechanical spares not a problem although the door mirrors were always a challenge !!!!

Good luck with it and I hope you continue to enjoy it as much as you seem to be at the moment.

Andy
murf
Lapsed

« Reply #19 on: 05 April, 2011, 05:12:03 PM »

I'm still enjoying the novelty of charging around Suffolk in my new acquisition but there are a couple of quirks that I am finding a bit puzzling. The fuel gauge seems to be a little random in that the reserve light appears when there is still a quarter of a tank, so as a result I have been slightly nervous about how long I can leave it until I refill. Does anyone have any wisdom on how far I should be able to drive with the light on constantly and what the range between fill-ups should be, driven sensibly.
The other issue which I'm slowly coming to terms with is the cold starting which is quite tricky to get right but I suppose that will come with practice.
Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Best regards, Murf. 
lee69
« Reply #20 on: 05 April, 2011, 09:58:07 PM »

I have a bit of a reputation in my family for running my first Y10 with the orange reserve light and on fumes. I only got caught out once, needing Dad to come and rescue me in the Regata.

If I remember correctly, I used to start mine with a the choke out and no gas, but it was nearly 20 years ago  Shocked

Have fun, I miss my Y10
Betaboy2.0
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #21 on: 06 April, 2011, 09:40:29 AM »

Yes - starting a carburettored 999 FIRE engine from cold, full choke, no throttle and it should fire up almost instantly. It will probably then cut out (or nearly cut out) as soon as you go to pull away, but they always seemed to do that! From new they aways needed a bit of jiggling with the choke for the first few miles in traffic to try to get the right balance of not cutting out and not racing away.

Ahh - a choke ........ those were the days!

Fire LX .... I'm jealous! Nice spec and I agree totally with Brian. Far better balanced to drive than the GTie.

Andy

'73 Beta 1600 S1 Berlina
'79 Beta 2000 S2fl Automatic Berlina
'80 Beta 2000ES S2 Berlina
'83 Beta 1600 S3 Berlina
'79 Gamma 2500 S1 Berlina
'82 Gamma 2500 S1 Coupe
'85 Gamma 2500 S2 Berlina
'82 Delta 1500
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #22 on: 06 April, 2011, 04:39:16 PM »

Murf, hope you've cracked the starting thing with all the advice, I don't remember having a problem ..... but unfortunately there are lots of things I don't remember nowadays !!!!!!!!

I'm about to scrap a 998 FIRE engine, most ancillaries have gone but I think I still have the carb. and inlet manifold and also the fuel pump if you want them ... and fancy a trip to sunny (well, it is today at least) Southend -on-Sea.

Andy
murf
Lapsed

« Reply #23 on: 07 April, 2011, 09:41:08 PM »

Yes you are all correct about the full choke/no throttle from cold. It starts instantly, the problem with my lack of practice is keeping it running smoothly for the first couple of miles without it going all lumpy and threatening to die on me. There is a particularly hazardous blind junction about half a mile from my house which I have to negotiate during the week on my way to work and on several occasions I've had people trying to climb over the tailgate as I falteringly pull away from a standstill. My technique at easing the choke off can only improve with familiarity so I hope that someone who is late for work does'nt take me out before I get the hang of it!!!
Many thanks Andy for your kind offer, I'm certainly interested in the parts. Please call me on 07921489571 and we'll make an arrangement for me to come to Southend.

Best regards, Murf.
Jai Sharma
Megaposter

« Reply #24 on: 08 April, 2011, 07:04:38 AM »

I also have a Y10 roof rack (or at least it was said to be in the LMC mag where I bought it from) and some new rubber seals for, I think, the door openings. Happy to give you these FOC if you collect or can post. I am near Chelmsford so if you are going to Southend might be nearly on the way.
0777 16 11 681
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #25 on: 08 April, 2011, 08:28:35 PM »

I also have a Y10 roof rack (or at least it was said to be in the LMC mag where I bought it from) and some new rubber seals for, I think, the door openings. Happy to give you these FOC if you collect or can post. I am near Chelmsford so if you are going to Southend might be nearly on the way.
0777 16 11 681

I think it's either the same or similar to what I had for the Panda 4x4, a bit of a funny arrangement as it hooked under the rear qtr light opening windows at the rear, and had the usual type clamps at the front?

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
murf
Lapsed

« Reply #26 on: 11 April, 2011, 04:20:36 PM »

Hi Jai, Thanks for your kind offer of the roof-rack. I'm waiting to hear back from Andy about collecting his bits from Southend so will give you a call when I have a date and can then hopefully do a round trip.

Best regards, Murf.
LanciAlan
Megaposter

« Reply #27 on: 12 April, 2011, 10:47:30 PM »

Murf

Me too ....

Murph

« Last Edit: 12 April, 2011, 10:54:27 PM by LanciAlan » Logged

Alan Murphy

Lancias that begin with "F" ... and affordable variants beginning with "Z" and "P" ..... and now with added "Y"!
murf
Lapsed

« Reply #28 on: 13 April, 2011, 09:53:21 PM »

Hi Murph, The Y10 looks great in black and I like the way the pin-striping accentuates the continuous sweep up, all the way from the front to back of the car. I will try and take some shots of the new toy this weekend and get someone at work to show me how to post them on here.

Best regards, Murf.
lee69
« Reply #29 on: 13 April, 2011, 10:28:54 PM »

Ah, a Fila, just like my first Lancia. Happy memories....
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd