Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 08:15:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My favourite Christmas Present  (Read 4388 times)
thecolonel
« on: 05 December, 2010, 12:35:20 PM »

Carrying on from the "I really miss" thread back in June a new fun memory topic:-

my favourite christmas gift -

1)  has to be my first meccano set,
2)  my first leather jacket, totally cool at the time
3)  the Nardi Steering wheel for my Gamma.

Geoff
thecolonel
« Reply #1 on: 05 December, 2010, 12:38:02 PM »

Ah, fabulous topic, well then,

1) my first bottle of Bombay Saphire
2) my first bottle of Plymouth
3) my first bottle of Gordon's
4) my first bottle of scotch

I suppose I should stop there really, otherwise I'll be here all day.

'thecolonel'
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 05 December, 2010, 10:25:56 PM »

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh, that first bottle of Bombay Saphire !!!!!!!!!!

And now a little medical tip, I've been told that to prevent cramp it is advisable to drink Schweppes tonic water. It is permissible to dilute this with lots of gin to make it last a little longer !!!!!!!!!!

Its all these homespun remedies that make life worth living.

Andy
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 05 December, 2010, 11:04:48 PM »

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh, that first bottle of Bombay Saphire !!!!!!!!!!

And now a little medical tip, I've been told that to prevent cramp it is advisable to drink Schweppes tonic water. It is permissible to dilute this with lots of gin to make it last a little longer !!!!!!!!!!

Its all these homespun remedies that make life worth living.

Andy

If I remember correctly it contains quinine.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
thecolonel
« Reply #4 on: 07 December, 2010, 11:04:30 PM »

Has no-one really received a favourite pressie then ?
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 07 December, 2010, 11:23:47 PM »

ZX Spectrum with 16k - £125 from the Daily Express Colour Supplement.

(it was the original edition with a dodgy ROM that screwed up any programs you ran)

I loved it so much I promptly didn't get enough O Levels in the summer but , on balance , it was the future ...

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
BlueSky
Lapsed

« Reply #6 on: 08 December, 2010, 03:14:00 AM »

At the risk of severe embarrassment, my model tank and tank transporter. I think I was 10. How about the fashions in 1960s Australia on a 100 deg Christmas Day!

* Tank.jpg (265.75 KB, 1280x872 - viewed 325 times.)

1937 1st series Aprilia Berlina
Nissan X-Trail T31 TS
1920 P & M 3 1/2hp {FOR SALE}
John Deere LX188
www.narrywoolan.com.au/home
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 08 December, 2010, 11:33:37 AM »

Nothing much from childhood sticks out as a strong "wide eye" reaction on Christmas day.  As for toys I remember playing with my BSA airgun gave a lot of pleasure for all I don't remember an airgun shaped package under the tree.  I made an indoor and outdoor "running boar" ranges and got through what must have been billions of pellets with it.  Lego-technical with its gears and motors saw more use than the Mecanno, but its the Mecanno that I wish I still had.  My computer was a Vic20 with 3.5K of memory and a tape deck for storage - you HAD to learn machine code to get anything from it.  As it happens I'm writing this on only the second computer I've been able to call my own, an eight year old VAIO, and it knows its the boss.

Prezzies that DO stick out:

=  A copy of La Lancia.   Before that it had been Lancia myth more than facts and probably more via the pages of CAR magazine than anywhere else.

=  The first crimbo bonus which, having bought the new front windows, financed a pallet load of bits with potential to become an Aprilia engine. 

=  The first crimbo bonus which, having bought Mrs L something "in a small package", financed a half primer/half moon crater Aurelia and a garage full of bits that may or may not have belonged on it.

Top of my Christmas list now?  Strange to say it wouldn't be any car, right here right now it would be to spend a week on one of the metal bashing courses.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Harvey
« Reply #8 on: 08 December, 2010, 03:07:34 PM »

(it was the original edition with a dodgy ROM that screwed up any programs you ran)

I loved it so much I promptly didn't get enough O Levels in the summer but , on balance , it was the future ...
I had one of those. If you asked it to count from 1 to 100, then it ran 27, 28, 29, ??, 92, 93, 94 and so on. Made games with timers nearly impossible!

Edited to add it was probably my favourite Christmas present, too. I did OK in my O levels but never developed any social skills...
« Last Edit: 08 December, 2010, 03:09:56 PM by Harvey » Logged
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 08 December, 2010, 05:38:32 PM »

hi David,i did a three year /several evenings a week motor body restoration course some time ago in maidstone at oakwood park college.i would recommend it to anyone interested in old cars and understand it is still available-probably more than 100 pounds a year now though -well worth going as they have a lot of proffesional equipment to use.best regards richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 09 December, 2010, 08:16:58 AM »

I had one of those. If you asked it to count from 1 to 100, then it ran 27, 28, 29, ??, 92, 93, 94 and so on. Made games with timers nearly impossible!

Edited to add it was probably my favourite Christmas present, too. I did OK in my O levels but never developed any social skills...

In that case , have you ever been on www.worldofspectrum.org ? All the old Spectrum games are there as Java Applets - you can play them on a browser!

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd