Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 05:12:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spring steel washers for front suspension  (Read 6488 times)
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« on: 29 November, 2010, 04:49:26 PM »

Hello all Augusta enthusiasts,    Paul Atkinson has obtained a quote for having some new front suspension spring washers made - and the price for 20 off has come out at £80 (£4.00 each) which seems rather a lot for what they are. They are 20.5 mm OD with a 12.2 mm hole.
     Seems they can't be laser cut, because of the material thickness and heat being incompatible, so does anyone have any ideas of where they might be made? Paul can get the material (0.1 mm thick) but how do we get them cut? I would imagine stamping them out is the only way, but spring steel is, by definition, rather hard.
     Any ideas?
        Regards, John
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #1 on: 30 November, 2010, 06:46:38 AM »

Hi John,

What about cutting them with a water jet?

regards,

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 30 November, 2010, 08:55:38 AM »

Hi John,

We're looking into that idea, which Morris came up with. I know little about the technique so far. Thanks for your input.
chugga boom
Non-LMC Seller
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 30 November, 2010, 05:11:13 PM »

Hi John,

We're looking into that idea, which Morris came up with. I know little about the technique so far. Thanks for your input.

watch american hot rod on quest (channel 38 freeview), crap cars but brilliant ideas and technology, plenty of waterjet action on there, i'm totally addicted to it just for the ideas etc , even my dad watches it now  Cheesy

1935 augusta lusso (chugga)
1935 belna saloon
1935 augusta lusso
1938 ardenne
1939 aprilia lusso
1958 appia s2
1963 appia s3 
195? appia camioncino
1972 fulvia 1600HF
1976 fulvia coupe
194? ardea SUV  "THE BEAST!!!"
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #4 on: 01 December, 2010, 07:10:10 AM »

John,

Have you checked the DIN (German Industrial) Standards for a modern equivalent?

I often find that my fastener supplier can get something a bit out of the ordinary if I just know the DIN No.

Guy McDougall
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #5 on: 01 December, 2010, 09:29:48 AM »

If you can tell me the DIN # I can get a copy standard for you if needed.
Neil

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 01 December, 2010, 09:32:51 AM »

John,

Have you checked the DIN (German Industrial) Standards for a modern equivalent?

I often find that my fastener supplier can get something a bit out of the ordinary if I just know the DIN No.
Thanks, Guy, but I don't know where to start looking. I know that the dimensions are 20.5 mm OD with a 12.2 mm hole in 0.01 mm spring steel, but where do I go from there? Regards, John
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #7 on: 02 December, 2010, 07:02:49 AM »

John, I'll check for them at my fasteners supplier who has all the relevant standards when I visit him next week.

Guy McDougall
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #8 on: 15 December, 2010, 09:07:25 AM »

John, I don't know exactly what the washer looks like, but it sounds like more than just a flat or split one?  Can you post a pic / sketch please?

Guy McDougall
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 15 December, 2010, 10:32:02 AM »

John, I don't know exactly what the washer looks like, but it sounds like more than just a flat or split one?  Can you post a pic / sketch please?

Thanks for all your efforts Guy, but I think we are now OK and have found someone to make them in the U.K.  They are simple flat "washers" made of spring steel, which allow the oil in the front suspension to pass very slowly. We were alarmed at the fiirst (and some subsequent) quotes, considering how simple they are. Seems they are going to be made by water jet cutting. A new technique to me!
 Regards - and have a Merry Christmas, John
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #10 on: 03 February, 2011, 06:53:15 AM »

John couldn't get a small amount of material in the UK, so I sent him some 0.1 mm spring steel strip which arrived by post this morning!

Guy McDougall
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 18 November, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »

I now have a supply of the spring steel washers. If anyone still needs them they are £5.00 a pair including postage in the U.K. Thanks to Guy for the steel and Paul for getting them made. They need tidying up slightly round the edges, but a pair are now working OK in my car.
 Regards, John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd