Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:52:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Storage  (Read 7475 times)
Jai Sharma
Megaposter

« on: 17 August, 2010, 02:55:40 PM »

I would like to pick the collective brains out there on this subject. Basically it is storage for my (non-Lancia) racing car, especially over winter. I have bought a concrete pre-fab lock up about 3 miles from home for this purpose but unfortunately there seem to be some (dried up) drops of moisture on the car. I have been in the lock up when it is raining to check if it leaks and it does not seem to even in very heavy rain. So I am assuming it is some form of condensation (though any ideas welcome).

I was thinking of a carcoon or similar bubble especially since the car sits for some period of time between use and particularly over winter. Only problem is that there is no mains power. I know you can run them off a large 12 volt battery but this only lasts a week or so.  I seem to recall that is what fay66 does and changes it over every week. I would prefer to avoid that job every week if I can.
If the battery goes flat the bubble collapses.

I was thinking of putting a solar battery charger on the roof of the garage but not sure how feasible that would be or how much it would help especially in winter

Any ideas?

Thanks
Jai

Thanks
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 17 August, 2010, 07:00:29 PM »

I would like to pick the collective brains out there on this subject. Basically it is storage for my (non-Lancia) racing car, especially over winter. I have bought a concrete pre-fab lock up about 3 miles from home for this purpose but unfortunately there seem to be some (dried up) drops of moisture on the car. I have been in the lock up when it is raining to check if it leaks and it does not seem to even in very heavy rain. So I am assuming it is some form of condensation (though any ideas welcome).

I was thinking of a carcoon or similar bubble especially since the car sits for some period of time between use and particularly over winter. Only problem is that there is no mains power. I know you can run them off a large 12 volt battery but this only lasts a week or so.  I seem to recall that is what fay66 does and changes it over every week. I would prefer to avoid that job every week if I can.
If the battery goes flat the bubble collapses.

I was thinking of putting a solar battery charger on the roof of the garage but not sure how feasible that would be or how much it would help especially in winter

Any ideas?

Thanks
Jai

Thanks
Don't get a car cocoon, while it's a good product it's not self supporting, have an look at an Airchamber
http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/air-chamber/airchamber-car.aspx, this is what I have, it has a self supporting frame so that you unzip the end to get the car out and putting it back is the reverse procedure, if you only wish to get inside rather than getting the car out, it has two zipped doors.
I use 2 85 amp hour leisure batteries one on charge and one in use, don't get ordinary batteries as they won't stand the constant discharge and charging, you could possibly extend the changeover with 120 AH batteries but I hate to think how much they would cost, as you rightly say with mine it is once a week, but I don't think you'd be able to extend much more than a couple of days,
I did look into using a solar panel but it wasn't feasible where I had the garage, the solar panel should work, probably even in the winter but with reduced operation time, if you just use it to top up the batteries, Changing once a week can get a bit tiresome but I always try to take my 2c out at least once or twice a month in the winter.
One absolute golden rule though do not put the car away wet as it won't cope with that.
I'm sure if I hadn't been using my Airchamber for the last 9 years, all "fay" would be now is a pile of rust as my concrete garage used to sweat like hell in the winter.
Prior to paying £395 for the airchamber and £65 each for the batteries ( replaced twice) I was paying £90 a month for storage, so once I got the concrete garage it was a no brainer to go for the airchamber.

Brian
8227 Cool
« Last Edit: 17 August, 2010, 11:39:13 PM by fay66 » Logged

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 17 August, 2010, 07:20:01 PM »

Experiance with damp railway arches and various barns over the years is to somehow arrange a through draft.

As for solar some friends were trying to stop a boat sinking and thought it was the answer.  I had (arrrggggg) a good link giving real world performance and in the winter its pretty pathetic.   A wind turbine is the other standard approach.   For them the answer was bailing it regularly and getting it out and fixed ASAP.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 17 August, 2010, 07:27:34 PM »

Half way down the stairs I remembered where to look and its this link:

http://shop.freesolarenergy.co.uk/index.php?p=page&page_id=Solar_Panel_Narrowboats

"typically in the depth's of winter will only produce approx 10-20 % of there stated capacity"

Its a good site overall - and I expect they'd be sensible and helpful if you phoned them.  They also sell a wind turbine.

The price of this stuff the problem would become stopping it being nicked off the roof.  Tilting panels brings efficiency gains but if it was me I'd have a low profile solution WELL stuck down, and install on a quiet day.  Then again I do live in Lewisham  Roll Eyes

David
« Last Edit: 17 August, 2010, 07:36:01 PM by DavidLaver » Logged

David Laver, Lewisham.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 17 August, 2010, 11:45:27 PM »

Forgot to say there's an even better chamber but I can't find it at present, it's by a company that usually shows at Goodwood Revival, Hamilton? and it has a outside frame and the airchamber is hung from the frame like an inner tent, big advantage is it doesn't flop around like mine does with the thin fibreglass poles, and not a lot more expensive and  it also has 3 fans opposed to my 2.

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
Jai Sharma
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 18 August, 2010, 07:00:47 AM »

Thanks Guys. Any other input would also be very welcome.

David, I saw you were in Top Gear magazine this month as a result of your 370Z drive.
williamcorke
Rebel Poster

B10

« Reply #6 on: 18 August, 2010, 10:19:02 AM »

This, I think, is the Hamilton job that was mentioned;
http://www.hamilton-motorsport.co.uk/acatalog/Cair-O-Port.html#aCOP_2dSMALL

'37 Aprilia
'50 B10
'53 B20
'68 Flavia Vignale
'55 Giulietta Sprint
S1 Land Rover
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 18 August, 2010, 01:02:24 PM »

This, I think, is the Hamilton job that was mentioned;
http://www.hamilton-motorsport.co.uk/acatalog/Cair-O-Port.html#aCOP_2dSMALL

Thank you William ,
I knew what I was after but couldn't find it! much better arrangement that my airchamber, and miles ahead of a carcoon.

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
Sliding Pillar
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 18 August, 2010, 02:10:38 PM »

There is another company who sell the Cair-o-port, see  http://www.rudler.co.uk/

1955 Aurelia
1961 Lamborghini
chugga boom
Non-LMC Seller
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 18 August, 2010, 02:29:22 PM »

There is another company who sell the Cair-o-port, see  http://www.rudler.co.uk/
yep can recomend, i bought my 2 from you and they work a treat, even if the car goes in wet it comes out dry!

1935 augusta lusso (chugga)
1935 belna saloon
1935 augusta lusso
1938 ardenne
1939 aprilia lusso
1958 appia s2
1963 appia s3 
195? appia camioncino
1972 fulvia 1600HF
1976 fulvia coupe
194? ardea SUV  "THE BEAST!!!"
lee69
« Reply #10 on: 18 August, 2010, 08:34:13 PM »

while we're on the topic of storage/garages - here's one way to make the most of limited space.

This made my day  Cheesy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N87nTdoniAg
murf
Lapsed

« Reply #11 on: 18 August, 2010, 09:27:33 PM »

I've had very good value out of a seven man frame tent to store my 'project' fulvia in a quiet corner of our garden. I was put on the spot a couple of years ago when I suddenly lost the use of warehouse storage at work and had to rapidly find a way of keeping the car dry and reasonably secure. I was unable to find any local garages/dry barns at the time so this was a desperation solution which has turned out to be surprisingly successful.
 From what I remember the tent was about £80-00 in a sale at a garden centre near Norwich and has proved to be capable of withstanding the most severe weather without any sign of the dreaded condensation. There is a gauze hooded cowl at each end which allows for a through draught and the fulvia stands on sand bedded concrete paving slabs which fit neatly within the area covered by the tent. My only expense has been to replace two of the guy ropes which frayed and looked likely to snap. The down side is that the fulvia is an extemely snug fit so work on the car is not really feasible while its inside.

Kind regards, Murf.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 19 August, 2010, 12:09:37 AM »

Sorry Ade,
I didn't realise you sold them, you would of course be my first recommended supplier! Embarrassed

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 20 August, 2010, 08:02:22 AM »

Re-erected Airchamber in new garage, 9 years since last time but I don't remember it being such hard work, perhaps I had help Huh?
Got it sorted and up, put "Fay" inside only to find I couldn't shut the door as it caught the front edge of the airchamber, I'd left enough room so I could get around the back,but that's now gone, anyway a relief to have it back up before the Autumn.
One feature the photos don't show is the blow up stiffeners in the roof panel that help keep it rigid.

Brian
8227 Cool

* Fay & Ruby & Garage Before.jpg (99.52 KB, 700x417 - viewed 347 times.)

* Airchamber laid out before.jpg (106.24 KB, 700x525 - viewed 331 times.)

* Airchamber up not sorted.jpg (137.28 KB, 700x598 - viewed 320 times.)

* airchamber door LH.jpg (109.5 KB, 700x525 - viewed 321 times.)

* Airchamber side door RH.jpg (100.75 KB, 700x525 - viewed 301 times.)

* Airchamber inside looking out.jpg (103.62 KB, 700x525 - viewed 343 times.)

* A_C Zipped B4 Having to move.jpg (122.88 KB, 700x566 - viewed 328 times.)

* Airchamber up not sorted.jpg (137.28 KB, 700x598 - viewed 345 times.)
« Last Edit: 20 August, 2010, 08:04:32 AM by fay66 » Logged

Dedra Technical Adviser
Jai Sharma
Megaposter

« Reply #14 on: 21 August, 2010, 01:08:52 PM »

Guys thanks very much and Brian especially thanks for the photos.

Something I am wondering about is the car in terms of length is about 40cm shorter than the lock up, so that should be o.k., but in terms of width I can't remember exactly how much clearance there is. Do you buy the chamber/frame so the car can just squeeze in and then walk out of the garage on the outside of the chamber or do you buy the gizmo the full width of the garage and walk out inside it?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd