Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 09:53:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: sand blasting  (Read 2639 times)
rodney3010
Lapsed

« on: 15 August, 2010, 08:57:48 PM »

My next neighbour has volunteered his services and tools for a bit of sand blasting. I'm aware that the latest trend seems to be towards soda blasting and sand blasting doesn't seem to be mentioned. However on the basis my neighbour won't charge me, his offer will always be a lot cheaper than any other option. Before I say yes though I would be interested if anyone has anyone any experience/do and dont's?
GG
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 15 August, 2010, 09:42:45 PM »

You don't mention what for. Sandblasting of complete car chassis left a sour taste after its difficulties showed up in the results:

- rusty panels were left with more metal taken away than needed
- bits of sand kept emerging from the cars long after the restoration was done.

Now media blasting with walnut shells (yes) and soda have taken its place. So too, some have gone to dipping the entire car in an acid bath, and then epoxy primer, to coat throughout. That approach had been in disgrace some 20 years ago as too aggressive acid ate up too much car. Now more controlled, its a pretty good approach.

Sandblasting can be used nicely for some special or limited parts (door skins, for example), but I wouldn't recommend it for the full chassis.   

B20 s.2, Appia C10, Flavia 2000
chugga boom
Non-LMC Seller
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 16 August, 2010, 12:27:39 PM »

when i blasted my appia the grit supplied was way way way too coarse and did produce a rough finish to the cars shell. however when getting the doors wings and bootlid blasted a finer grit was used and gave a fantastic result, also with any kind of blasting you need to be carefull of what pressure is used as panels can buckle under too much pressure putting grooves into them, use less pressure and more time , good luck james

1935 augusta lusso (chugga)
1935 belna saloon
1935 augusta lusso
1938 ardenne
1939 aprilia lusso
1958 appia s2
1963 appia s3 
195? appia camioncino
1972 fulvia 1600HF
1976 fulvia coupe
194? ardea SUV  "THE BEAST!!!"
Thotos
Administrator
Megaposter

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #3 on: 16 August, 2010, 01:33:29 PM »

There's always the option of paint stripper and A LOT of elbow grease... That's what is being used on my Gamma at the moment.

Theo Kyriacou
Tony Stephens

« Reply #4 on: 16 August, 2010, 06:21:21 PM »

I have just got a small sandblaster and find the results pleasing on sturdy items such as pedals etc, which will be brush painted afterwards. I am not brave enough, or knowledgable enough, to blast body panels (and in any case, the blaster is too small), but I know that if the operator is an expert, corresponding results are achieved.

I have, however, found that I need a bigger compressor as the one I have got is inadequate, which I must admit I expected. Anybody want it? Ex (Beatle) George Harrison's garage, single phase and small (unknown cfm but not many). Useful for general workshop use but not for big jobs. About £100 when I have sourced a new one to fit under my workbench.
rodney3010
Lapsed

« Reply #5 on: 17 August, 2010, 01:20:41 PM »

Thanks for the comments gents. You confirmed my main concern of being careful around the pressure in case its too high and therefore damaging the panel.
For those who are interested/comparision etc, I've had a quote form a company called prostrip to strip and then zinc phosphate prime a 2000HF for £1500 plus VAT. I haven't used them so can't comment on service but were very quick in getting a quote back. If I go ahead with this option I'll let you know outcome

Rodders
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd