Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 02:46:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oil Pressure Readings  (Read 2562 times)
Angle Grinder
Megaposter

« on: 13 June, 2010, 09:22:22 PM »

Just had the Flavia out for a spin at the weekend to keep it free whilst it waits for my restoration friend to start work on it.

Started on the button as she always does and everything worked a treat. Brakes were nice and firm, gear change sweet as ever. Grin

One thing that I do need to fix / improve is the reading at the oil pressure gauge. I am fairly confident that oil pressure is good as the engine sounds healthy, but the pressure gauge doesn't really register until you hit 3500 rpm and seldom deflects more than a 1/4 - 1/3 of the way along the scale.

Has anyone any advice on how to test the sender unit, e.g. what resistance readings should be at the terminals?

Is it even likely to be something as simple as dirty contacts needing a bit of sanding?

Current Cars: 1994 2.0 VIS Thema Station Wagon, 1967 Flavia 1.8 PF Coupe.

Previous cars:
1983 Prisma 1600
1991 Thema 16v i.e. SE
1988 Thema 8v Turbo
1992 Thema 16v i.e.
1983 Gamma Coupe (manual)
1993 Thema VIS
1994 Thema VIS LE
1990 Thema 2.8
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 14 June, 2010, 07:23:11 AM »

I would be inclined to fit a non electric pressure gauge - even just under the bonnet, to see what the oil pressure really is. A modern mechanical gauge should be quite trustworthy.
A few years ago in Tasmania, Kim Brownbill's Flavia indicated no oil pressure a few times on starting from cold. It was probably an electrical fault, but I'm not sure Kim ever found out. We cleaned pressure relief valves, etc. but it cured itself at some stage. Italian electrics are not known for reliability!
Regards, John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd