Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 01:35:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Fay" Dumped Coolant Again!  (Read 11525 times)
chugga boom
Non-LMC Seller
Permanent resident

« Reply #15 on: 27 May, 2010, 08:14:14 PM »

brian , quick test for you , as you have an infra red thermometer just scan it across the rad to make sure its not blocked again, my gussy rad had been rebuilt by serk marsdon however after a good run a load of corrosion had loosened up and circulated blocking the rad again, if alls ok whip the stat out and try it , hope you sort it soon james

1935 augusta lusso (chugga)
1935 belna saloon
1935 augusta lusso
1938 ardenne
1939 aprilia lusso
1958 appia s2
1963 appia s3 
195? appia camioncino
1972 fulvia 1600HF
1976 fulvia coupe
194? ardea SUV  "THE BEAST!!!"
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #16 on: 27 May, 2010, 10:47:02 PM »

brian , quick test for you , as you have an infra red thermometer just scan it across the rad to make sure its not blocked again, my gussy rad had been rebuilt by serk marsdon however after a good run a load of corrosion had loosened up and circulated blocking the rad again, if alls ok whip the stat out and try it , hope you sort it soon james

Thanks James,
I did try it while she was running but it's a bit dangerous with the series ! mechanical fan, but I wasn't sure how relevant it would be to try it with the engine not running, I think there's probably a good case for taking the thermostat out and give it a bit of a vigorous back flushing, do you reckon a jet washer stuffed down the heater hose would be chancing my arm Shocked

Brian

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Peter W

« Reply #17 on: 27 May, 2010, 10:48:25 PM »

Brian,
I had a similar problem with a Rover 420GSI Turbo.  The 2nd day that I had it, it blew a hose off to the header tank whilst driving along a single track lane so was forced to trickle along for a mile or so before I could park up.  The garage where I bought it recovered the car and checked it for any damage but all seemed fine.  A couple of months later it dumped its coolant.  Again they checked it thoroughly, cylinder pressures fine, no sign of exhaust gasses in the coolant header tank.  A few weeks later, just days before we were going to drive it down to the Pyrenees, it did it again.  This time they had the head off and there was the tiniest mark of a leak between a cylinder and the water jacket.  The head was skimmed and I had no more trouble for the next 4 years when I replaced it with the Kappa.  We went on holiday in a new but very boring Peugeot hire car.

Peter

Kappa Coupe
Beta VX Coupe
S2 Fulvia 1600HF
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #18 on: 10 June, 2010, 08:44:34 AM »

My temperature gauge does that as well.  I have ignored it for years with no problems.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Lavazza

« Reply #19 on: 11 April, 2018, 06:10:52 PM »

I know this is an old thread, but was there any resolution in the end?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd